Low Watershed Dispatch Level

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SPH-M900 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I've just popped on my scanner and heard the OCFA dispatcher on 5 Bravo announce that OCFA was in a "low watershed dispatch level." What does this mean?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
It's a reference to the burn index, which is derived from a formula that includes temp, humidity, wind speed, and fuel (dry brush). The burn index plays a part in how certain responses are dispatched. A low watershed dispatch level would indicate relatively benign fire conditions, so a first response wouldn't automatically bring air support, for example, to a brush fire.

I don't have all the details, but that's the gist of what it means.

monitor142

in other words...either you get a few engines on a low water shed up to half the world including air support, dozers, fire crew(s), staged strike teams, etc. on a high water shed. Throw in Santa Ana's and it gets even more fun....

zz0468

QRT
Banned
in other words...either you get a few engines on a low water shed up to half the world including air support, dozers, fire crew(s), staged strike teams, etc. on a high water shed. Throw in Santa Ana's and it gets even more fun....

Yes, something like that. Different types of calls elicit different responses, and fire conditions become part of the decision making process as to who and what get's sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.