ICIS/LAPD BCD 396xt decode issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

spock00

I am having issues setting the optimum levels to listen to LAPD & ICIS on my radio. When I set the P25 Adjust level too high (past 135) LAPD decodes fine at (auto 8) but ICIS decodes poorly and it should be closer to (auto 11). Any ideas on the setting the optimum levels for these signals in LA? Thanks

spock00

I am having issues setting the optimum levels to listen to LAPD & ICIS on my radio. When I set the P25 Adjust level too high (past 135) LAPD decodes fine at (auto 8) but ICIS decodes poorly and it should be closer to (auto 11). Any ideas on the setting the optimum levels for these signals in LA? Thanks

ICIS decodes around auto 12 or 13 with minimal errors. I still haven't found that happy medium for both agencies/systems. Any tips from you guys would be appreciated.

spock00

I have a regular 396 and can tune both system fine just with AUTO. I did however upgrade the cheap Uniden antenna to a Smiley Slim Stick.

http://www.smileyantenna.com/images/22200ts.gif

Smiley Antennas

I also live in the shadow of Mt Lee, so I assume I have pretty strong radio signals all around.

With my old 396 (not 396xt) I had to manually adjust the setting for the various systems. This was 3 years ago and without the latest firmware.

With this 396xt it is always in "auto mode" but you can adjust P25 level (RSSI value) which change the digital decoding. When I leave the setting to factory specs (50) I get errors on both LAPD and ICIS. When I switch the setting higher (over 100) they both improve but still have errors on both. Around 130 on the dial ICIS is fine but LAPD still has a few errors. Over 140 and higher LAPD is fine but ICIS starts having errors. I'll mess with it later and post what I come up with.

I'm not using the stock antenna but a special high gain rubber duck 800 MHz antenna. The results on 800MHz (LAFD) are great and UHF/VHF are fine too. Eventually I plan on getting a stock Motorola UHF antenna (UHF 450-520 MHz) for LAPD & ICIS with the connector for the 396xt. I also have an adjustable whip which works well all over the bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.