Lafd

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbekhor

What dispatch system does lafd use? and it is used by using special commands right? Thank You

Radio_Lady

What dispatch system does lafd use? and it is used by using special commands right? Thank You
I don't know what company's CAD system they use today, but it seems to me that their original 1970's vendors included E-Systems, now part of Raytheon. I know it's been upgraded a lot since then and it may have even been replaced, or it may be that a replacement system will await their moving to the new City Emergency Operations Center adjoining Fire Station 4 on East Temple Street. I don't know whether their system is DOS or Windows-based or some other variant, but it obviously is command-driven in some form.

The OCD webpage was taken offline a long time ago, but here's how they described their operation as of about 2001:

EQUIPMENT

Six sub-systems comprise the total Fire Command & Control System to provide each Dispatcher with complete and current information. Eighteen Dispatcher and Supervisor consoles are the interface between Fire Department dispatching personnel and the controlling computers. Every console is capable of performing the same functions. Without leaving their location, each Dispatcher or Supervisor on duty has complete information and full control of all Department fire and EMS resources.

DISPATCHING

An available Dispatcher (Call Taker) answers the emergency call and enters the incident type and location (if a 9-1-1 call, the location is automatically entered) into the computer. An identifying number is assigned automatically to the incident and the location is checked against the street index file by the computer. The computer determines the closest fire station, unit availability, and displays a recommended assignment of companies. The Call Taker is also notified by the computer of any other incidents in progress within 1,500 feet of the new incident. EMS incidents require the Call Taker to adhere to a written protocol that includes appropriate key questions, and when indicated, pre-arrival instructions.

Once the incident is created and cleared by the Call Taker, the incident is pended (made available) to another Dispatcher who enters the "dispatch" command in the computer. Simultaneously, dedicated private-line telephone connections are established, the dispatch message is composed and transmitted to the station teleprinter, an alerting tone is sounded, and the station lights are activated. Through the telephone lines, the Dispatcher is instantly connected with the Public Address System of the appropriate fire station(s) and verbally issues the dispatch information, as well as any pertinent details. As necessary, this information may be simulcast via radio broadcast. Finally, the system automatically updates all the necessary computer files and displays. Incident details and the corresponding dispatch activities are recorded and archived by the computer. This data is methodically analyzed to assure consistent service.​

You might be able to get current information from the Public Information Office listed on their contacts page at Contact Us but I think they are located at OCD and are often busy with more emergent things and can't reply to every inquiry.

Status
Not open for further replies.