*New* LAPD - Wilshire Division Live Audio Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jewie27

Update

Relocated my discone antenna to a better location. Also added Olympic frequency to the scan.
New title: Los Angeles Police - Wilshire and Olympic Divisions.

Available on Android and Iphone also.

wb6csh

LAPD single Division Feed

On March 6, 2011 I setup the first feed featuring one single division of LAPD. It's nice to be able to listen to calls from start to finish which IMO is better than that one feed that scans all 21 divisions. Check it out :D

Los Angeles Police - Wilshire and Pacific Divisions Live Scanner Audio Feed

Also available on your Android Phones via the scanner apps, my favorite being Scanner Radio.

Great Idea about having one division (Wilshire) set up for an audio feed. Having all of LAPD "scanned" makes no sense at all... too much activity!

However, I think your feed needs to look at the following issues:

It sounds like the mobiles (through the 503 MHz repeater) are not coming through your connection, for the most part. I can only presume that the LAPD system is being repeated, since each division has its own frequency / frequencies. If you can't repeat all the mobiles, then we cannot follow any incident through to its finish!

The audio also sounds like it is going over a wireless connection before being fed onto the 'net. It's too compressed, sounds like a cell phone call (distorted).

At times "double audio" is heard during base station transmissions, indicating further work to be done to clean up the audio. What sort of a set up are you using?

One poster ahead of me also wondered what the "helicopter sound" was! That is either your wireless link picking up "trash" on the same "wi-fi" frequency, or your receiver failing to decode the digital (APCO P-25) signal properly. Just my opinion, based on what I am hearing on my end in No. Calif.

Try using a hard wire (no wireless link!) connection to your Internet feed system, and see if that doesn't clean things up a little. To use a wireless ("wi-fi") connection right from the start is introducing more problems and distortion into your feed.

Mike

jewie27

Wireless

It sounds fine over here, I use my android phone everyday to hear it. Sorry I am using wifi to broadcast because I dont have an ethernet line to my room. I dont want to have people tripping on 100 feet of cable or climb into the attic to route it.

jewie27

also the reason on you cant hear the whole incident sometimes they don't dispo over the air. the frequency of the cars and mobile radio are the same.

wb6csh

Huh?

also the reason on you cant hear the whole incident sometimes they don't dispo over the air. the frequency of the cars and mobile radio are the same.

I don't follow your "logic". What do you mean by "dispo"? If the freq. of the cars and "mobile radio" are the same as dispatch, then we should hear the entire event, period!

Perhaps if you pulled that Android away from your ear, and listened through a set of loud speakers coming from a computer, you could hear what I am speaking about!

Maybe you have never heard "good audio" over the Internet. Listen to number one feed, Chicago, Illinois for a taste.

If you choose to use a wireless connection ("wi-fi" - a real misnomer!), you cannot expect the fidelity of a hard wire connection.

I'm attempting to give you some help in cleaning up your audio, please don't take offense.

Best regards,
Mike

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
I'll leave the quality of this feed aside except to say that its apparent shortcomings may well be from a combination of the feed-provider's set-up and/or LAPD's own often less-than-ideal audio quality. I haven't had a chance to listen to this feed much lately

I don't follow your "logic". What do you mean by "dispo"? If the freq. of the cars and "mobile radio" are the same as dispatch, then we should hear the entire event, period!
In theory you're partially correct, but in (LAPD's) practice, that's not necessarily true at all, and in fact is almost guaranteed to not happen regularly.

Since switching to a UHF repeater system in 1981-83, LAPD brass has required that all urgent and emergency calls, be multicast over a number of divisions' frequencies in addition to the "division of occurrence" frequency. While not precisely accurate in all cases, the general rule is that these "hot" calls are to be broadcast on the div of occurrence, of course, as well as on the dispatch frequencies of all adjacent patrol divisions, and the concerned and adjacent bureaus' "traffic divisions" frequencies, as well as on the citywide "Air/K9/Hotshot" hailing frequency.

Take a look at this map and I'll give an example of a Code 3 call broadcast in, for instance, Olympic Division #20 (actually Olympic "Area") which Jewie27 has added to his feed.

LapdDivisions.jpg

An emergency call, such as a 211 (robbery) or shooting in progress in Olympic would automatically set up the dispatcher's frequency-selection to include Olympic, and then clockwise from the left, the adjacent Wilshire, Hollywood, probably Northeast since it's less than 200 yards outside of Olympic, Rampart, and Southwest frequencies, West Traffic Div (since this is in West Bureau), and both Central Traffic and South Traffic since they too cover areas immediately adjacent to OLY. Also on "Air/K9." So that's as many as nine patrol and traffic divisions' frequencies, and all the while that call is being transmitted, messages from units in all of those divisions can't be heard.

So if you listen to any frequency whenever it's even moderately busy, you'll notice an almost constant barrage of calls from other nearby divisions, which often makes it difficult or impossible to follow any given call from start to finish. Added to that, and what I believe Jewie27 was alluding to in his post #8, after the initial dispatch and any subsequent "crime broadcast" of the suspects' descriptions, most all subsequent information and unit-status-change messages are transmitted solely via their MDCs and not voiced at all. So after the call first goes out and any urgent follow-up stuff you're not likely to hear them say anything else about the call or its final disposition. In any case, call dispositions routinely go to the dispatcher (actually to the CAD system) by MDC only, and aren't voiced.

There's a long story behind LAPD's insistance on multi-frequency broadcasting of hot calls which many people (myself included, but they never ask my opinion about anything anymore) consider excessive, but it's not likely to change any time soon... if ever. The backstory is probably in the archives here someplace from a couple years ago. If I happen to find it I'll add the link, but I don't feel like typing the thing out again.

Last edited:

jewie27

Thanks KMA for the detailed explanation. I hear everything loud and clear as we speak through my android plugged into car speakers at work. Dont hear anything wrong. There are a few main dispos lapd uses which you have to know to understand.

Code 4 suspect in custody
Code 12 (false alarm)
Code 4 b/o phoneline
Code 4 wrong suspect
Code 4 no evidence of crime, 459, screaming woman, 211 etc...
Code 4 common name

Those are just a few, it takes a trained ear to understand all the codes and to understand when RTO's and OFCRS speak really fast.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
There are a few main dispos lapd uses which you have to know to understand.

Code 4 suspect in custody...
Code 12 (false alarm)...
OK, I understand what you mean, but technically those aren't dispos, but rather incident comments, mostly for the benefit of any other responding units.

A "dispo" (disposition) is the final closing-out of a call as far as the patrol (or traffic) unit is concerned, with the officer's description of how it ended, such as by arrest, report taken, verbally resolved, etc. It's not necessarily the end of the entire event - it may go on to detectives, to the DA or City Attorney, etc - but as far as between Communications Division and the unit handling, the call is finished.

jewie27

i guess what he was asking about was not being able to hear the entire call from start to finish. I was just letting him know what to listen for.

wb6csh

Still sounds BAD!

OK, I understand what you mean, but technically those aren't dispos, but rather incident comments, mostly for the benefit of any other responding units.

A "dispo" (disposition) is the final closing-out of a call as far as the patrol (or traffic) unit is concerned, with the officer's description of how it ended, such as by arrest, report taken, verbally resolved, etc. It's not necessarily the end of the entire event - it may go on to detectives, to the DA or City Attorney, etc - but as far as between Communications Division and the unit handling, the call is finished.

Thanks KMA367 for having the courtesy and common sense to let others know what "dispos" can mean...and that "dispos" has NO place in an answer to me. "Technically"... you are bending over backwards to avoid calling him wrong!

I have been listening to "police calls" for over fifty years and know what the various codes mean. The problem on this Internet feed is that some of the audio is cut off mid sentence and either is replaced by what "jewie27" called a "ghetto bird" sound or by silence - total signal failure. I'm willing to bet that ALL the problem is the provider's set-up, not LAPD's less-than-perfect audio!

If LAPD had to listen to the Internet feed I am hearing, anarchy would be the result in the city of the angels <grin>.

I think "jewie27" is listening to something else, or to the "feed" BEFORE it gets on the internet? He seems to be more interested in rationalizing and making excuses rather than trying to determine what the problem might be.

LAPD sure rolls a LOT more code 3 calls now!

KMA367 you have a message from "6csh" at your "HM...@gmail.com" account from earlier today.

KMA367 if you have the time and inclination, you might want to take a listen to this feed... is that what you would expect to hear? There seem to be a LOT of gaps!

Best regards,

Mike

"Honesty is stronger medicine than sympathy, which consoles and often conceals"

jewie27

Its on auto decode, I dont hear anything wrong and its broadcasting loud and clear over verizon 3g network. So if its not broken, I cant fix it.

wb6csh

Bull

The static you hear is simplex. The base channel is fine.

Your previous answer has been changed? It's not the ghetto bird?

That is not "static"!! This is UHF FM using APCO digitized audio, and if your receiving system was set up correctly, IMHO we wouldn't be hearing that garbage - your receiver would decode that so-called static, or the squelch would ignore it.

That static is a signal, simplex or otherwise, that is NOT being decoded properly. I'm sorry if this reality is raining on your delusion.

wb6csh

Renamed Feed?

On March 6, 2011 I setup the first feed featuring one single division of LAPD. It's nice to be able to listen to calls from start to finish which IMO is better than that one feed that scans all 21 divisions. Check it out :D

Los Angeles Police - Wilshire and Pacific Divisions Live Scanner Audio Feed

Also available on your Android Phones via the scanner apps, my favorite being Scanner Radio.

All "constructive" criticism aside, jewie27, did you take out the Olympic Division feed frequency? I noticed that the name has been changed.

jewie27

Nothing I can do to cure your complaints about whatever uhf is... Im using a $500 uniden digital scanner and outdoor discone antenna. I hear the units right now as im typing this, they are working a 459 call on Normandie ave. unless you can explain how to tune the radio better than its auto-decode, don't troll or critisize. I already downloaded the latest firmware, everything else is beyond my control because im 13 miles from the divisions but I dont really hear any major problems.

Regarding olympic, yes I recently added it due to my work being inbetween both areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.