want/warrant check MDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mumbled

hi there. i am not a radio or scanner enthusiast, so i am sorry for hijacking your forum! i can't understand a term and was hoping anyone familiar with LAPD terminology could help me.

after doing a want/warrant check the suspect's CALOT? CALOP? didn't match. i can't figure out what word is being said. any help would be appreciated. thank you!

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
hi there. i am not a radio or scanner enthusiast, so i am sorry for hijacking your forum! i can't understand a term and was hoping anyone familiar with LAPD terminology could help me.

after doing a want/warrant check the suspect's CALOT? CALOP? didn't match. i can't figure out what word is being said. any help would be appreciated. thank you!
It's "Cal Op" for California Operator's (Driver's) license. Sometimes you'll hear, either from the officer or the RTO, "No Cal Op, ID Card only" which means just that - the person has a DMV ID card but no driver license.

"Operator's License" (like "Chauffeur's License") is an old term which I believe was eliminated from the vehicle code about 1961, and replaced by "Driver License." But lots of police radio codes and jargon stay unchanged seemingly forever.

And you're not "hijacking" at all... it's radio/scanning related and you started a new thread rather than tacking it on to some ongoing unrelated topic. Welcome aboard.

Last edited:

mumbled

thank you so much! i was googling everything and anything that remotely sounded like CALOT/ CALOP and found nothing. i thought i was losing my mind! Thank you so much for your quick reply!

Radio_Lady

It's "Cal Op" for California Operator's (Driver's) license.

"Operator's License" (like "Chauffeur's License") is an old term which I believe was eliminated from the vehicle code about 1961, and replaced by "Driver License."

Operator's License is also the field code used in NCIC and probably most or all states' criminal and vehicle/driver databases. "OLN" is the Operator License Number field, "OLS" for Op Lic State, "OLY" for Op Lic Expiration Year.

I suppose dispatchers find or impute humor where and when they can, but I always chuckled to myself whenever officers running people from out of state would, from sheer habit, tell me someone had "Oregon Cal Op" or "New Jersey Cal Op." If I wasn't busy, and feeling a little mischievous, once in a while I would ask "What kind of California Op was that?" Sometimes they got it, sometimes they didn't.

Token

Interesting. I am intrigued by how different agencies say the same things different ways. For example, here (this is Kern, not LA) they use "California DL" or "California ID". The only time the type of DL is mentioned is during the read-back, such as "valid class 3 with M1".

T!

GrandpaFrank

To me, it almost seems as though, the busier the particular county agency, the shorter the abbreviations. For example, LAPD says CalOp, wheras Carson City Nevada would say Nevada Driver's License. Not to mention the first name basis that they seem to be on.

PaulNDaOC

Operator's License is also the field code used in NCIC and probably most or all states' criminal and vehicle/driver databases. "OLN" is the Operator License Number field, "OLS" for Op Lic State, "OLY" for Op Lic Expiration Year.

I suppose dispatchers find or impute humor where and when they can, but I always chuckled to myself whenever officers running people from out of state would, from sheer habit, tell me someone had "Oregon Cal Op" or "New Jersey Cal Op." If I wasn't busy, and feeling a little mischievous, once in a while I would ask "What kind of California Op was that?" Sometimes they got it, sometimes they didn't.

That's pretty funny. Couldn't even begin to count how many times deputies would '10-34 to run an Oregon CDL'

Status
Not open for further replies.