Catalina Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

seligman

Been a while since Catalina Island was discussed here.

For the Sheriff's Department, I see LMT-AVAD7 (484.0375) for dispatch, with L-TAC2 (482.8875) in Avalon. Another thread, http://forums.radioreference.com/gr...cussion/198838-more-new-lasd-frequencies.html indicated a new LASD repeater for the backside of Catalina to be installed this year. Has this happened? Any other LASD freqs to monitor for 4th of July weekend?

This license looks like Medics with 4 different repeater sites on the island, including one on the backside at ocean level. Any ideas?
FCC Callsign WNZD700 Details

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
If you manage to confirm anything new please submit to the Db.

If you have not noted there are listing under Avalon, plus State of CA frequencies that cover Catalina activities also.

On a personal note I'd b curious to confirm the PL an usage of the 3 VHF-lo frequencies listed for Avalon City. I've heard comments that usage could includes other departments including possibly no longer all three being the PL listed in the db.

seligman

If you have not noted there are listing under Avalon, plus State of CA frequencies that cover Catalina activities also.

Which State of CA freqs are you talking about? Not sure I have any specific to Catalina Island.

On a personal note I'd b curious to confirm the PL an usage of the 3 VHF-lo frequencies listed for Avalon City. I've heard comments that usage could includes other departments including possibly no longer all three being the PL listed in the db.

Will do.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I'd have to look it up at home as I dont recall which color, but State Parks and Rec Rangers use one of the SoCal 800mhz repeater freqs on Catalina, while Fish and Game uses their 150Mhz on the island.
Believe both have transmitters up on Black Jack Mt in Catalina.

seligman

That's interesting you say this. I have a friend in Avalon who says the "rangers" patrol the backside of the island. Does the Sheriff's Department do anything outside of Avalon?

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Don't forget the County 800Mhz CWIRS system has a site on Catalina also. While I'm sure much of the activity could be non-island related, any island based public works stuff is probably on it.

Also keep a listen on the LACoFD lifeguard freqs. On a couple occasions from West LA, I've heard rescue boats call Baywatch Avalon on one of the 37mhz channels.

seligman

Don't forget the County 800Mhz CWIRS system has a site on Catalina also. While I'm sure much of the activity could be non-island related, any island based public works stuff is probably on it.

Also keep a listen on the LACoFD lifeguard freqs. On a couple occasions from West LA, I've heard rescue boats call Baywatch Avalon on one of the 37mhz channels.

Thanks...I'm setting up the scanner now. Will put CWIRS and the lifeguard freqs in there.

Anything else you can think of ?

Mick

I have logged and listed these at socalscan in the past:

45.54 136.5 Avalon FD “F3”
46.36 136.5 Avalon FD “F2”
46.54 136.5 Avalon FD “F1”

Are those different from the RR database?

This is interesting monitoring:

151.145 107.2 Catalina Island Conservancy, 159.45 107.2 is the input

These are nearby:

463.4625 D032 Santa Catalina Is. Co. “Flying boat”
463.7750 D261 “Avalon Center” Catalina Adventure tours

Mick

The lifeguards have been logged here:

37.20 88.5 L.A. Co. Lifeguards Catalina

These may still be in use:

161.505 151.4 L.A. Co. Lifeguard Tac 29, Avalon
161.520 L.A. Co. Lifeguard Tac 30, Avalon

seligman

Yes, the database is different:

46.36000 KDU512 BM 136.5 PL Avalon FD 1 Fire Dispatch FM Fire Dispatch
45.54000 KDU512 BM 136.5 PL Avalon FD 2 Fire Tactical FM Fire-Tac
46.54000 KUD512 BM 136.5 PL Harbor Dept Harbor Department FM Public Works

Mick

I understand the State Park 851 MHz channels on Catalina are for use along the coastline in Orange County at minimum, maybe L.A. County too.

151.430 162.2 Fish & Game, Blackjack, input is 159.42

I'd have to look it up at home as I dont recall which color, but State Parks and Rec Rangers use one of the SoCal 800mhz repeater freqs on Catalina, while Fish and Game uses their 150Mhz on the island.
Believe both have transmitters up on Black Jack Mt in Catalina.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Thanks...I'm setting up the scanner now. Will put CWIRS and the lifeguard freqs in there.

Anything else you can think of ?
I'd check out the link provided in reply 2.
Probably some stuff there that could be of interest. Looks like the business related listings like the Catalina Express boat and Island Tours have a few listings.

Thats essentially what we have in the Db but the sequence of F1,2,3 dont match.
What I've heard is that the frequencies besides FD usage are also utlized by local government ops including at the harbor, so was curious to try to get that clarified.
I think this is where the PL question came in also as maybe the other depts have their own PL on the same frequencies.??

jrholm

On the city fire freq. you will hear some other city departments, County Fire (E55, P55, E155, and P155), you will also hear Baywatch Avalon as they provide paramedic service in the city.

The "Rangers" are Catalina Conservancy Rangers there are no State rangers on the island. LASD handles all law enforcement on the island, the interior (outside of Avalon) is covered by the two resident deputies at the isthmus. Fish and Game frequently patrol the waters and make port calls in Avalon and Two Harbors.

seligman

Just got back. Heard some new things.

Catalina Express boats
462.0125 -- ctcss 100.0
*Operations channel, used at the Long Beach landing and in Avalon. Pretty much everybody uses this freq...from the ticket office to the boats. They often announce passenger counts, ETA to the other side, etc. Moderate-to-heavy usage when the boats are arriving/departing. I suspect the same freq is also used at their mainland ports in San Pedro and Dana Point.

City of Avalon
I heard two out of the three frequencies active. 46.360 is definitely the primary Avalon Fire Dept frequency. 45.540 is mislabeled and isn't Fire Tac, it is the Avalon Harbor Dept. All low-band Avalon communications used a CTCSS tone of 136.5. From the RR database, my comments below in bold.

46.36000 KDU512 BM 136.5 PL Avalon FD 1 Fire Dispatch FM Fire Dispatch <----- correct
45.54000 KDU512 BM 136.5 PL Avalon FD 2 Fire Tactical FM Fire-Tac <----- should be Avalon Harbor Dept
46.54000 KUD512 BM 136.5 PL Harbor Dept Harbor Department FM Public Works <----- presumably Fire Tac, but I never heard it used

Either 46.360 (Avalon Fire primary) or 46.540 (possible Fire Tac) is referred to as "City 2" ... more on that below in my LASD notes.

LA County Sheriff's Department
The deputies use L-TAC 2 like the database shows, but in simplex mode on the output. Most radios transmit no PL tone, but one of them uses CTCSS 186.2 ... I'm 90% sure this is the Sheriff's Station in Avalon.

I also got the impression they are dispatched on L-TAC 2 (482.8875) locally, and not on LMT-AVAD7 (484.0375).

During the Fourth of July parade in Avalon, the LASD deputies switched to "SIMPLEX 1" which is 473.7875 with a PL of 100.0. I verified this standing next to a deputy with Close Call enabled. I also verified the channel name on his radio display. After the parade was over, they switched back to L-TAC 2. Note: SIMPLEX-1 is not in the database.

Before the parade started, someone from Avalon FD or LACoFD (both agencies participated in the parade) had a conversation on L-TAC 2 about who was monitoring which radios. SIMPLEX-1 was mentioned, but the deputy told the fire department he would monitor "L-TAC2 and City 2 -- as always." I presume "City 2" is the Avalon Fire Department Primary or Tactical freq.

We camped for a night on the backside of the island. Never heard the new RMT-1 repeater in use.

LA County Fire Department
Heard them dispatched once or twice on "LAC BLUE 1". Never heard anybody use Tac 22, but that doesn't mean much. Little bit of Lifeguard traffic on either Tac 26 or Tac 29. Missed the channel name, but they had a PL tone of 151.4.

Baywatch 1 -- 37.200, ctcss 88.5 -- was active.

LA County CWIRS
I only programmed the Catalina Island site. Only heard the "DBH S/S" talkgroup active coming from the mainland. It's highly unlikely Avalon uses CWIRS because the west side of the city is shielded from the transmitter site.

Catalina Cab Company
Taxi cabs in Avalon. Frequent use. FCC Callsign WNBL706 Details
457.2375 ctcss 173.8

Santa Catalina Island Conservancy
Repeater on 151.145/159.450 with CTCSS 107.2 used regularly.

Santa Catalina Island Company
I believe this is the tourist division of the Conservancy. Although the license shows a different location, both frequencies are used in the Avalon area for tourist operations (tour buses, etc).
463.4625 -- DCS 032
468.4625 -- DCS 032

There was a strong repeater output on 463.4625 -- DCS 365. Nobody ever talked on it, but somebody would key it up pretty regularly. Not positive it was located on Catalina but the signal was good in Avalon. FCC Callsign KD47708 Details

Southern California Edison
Their trunked talkgroup (ID: 34168) was active this morning on Catalina. Additionally, I heard 936.925 (DCS 245) in use half-way across the ocean between Avalon and Long Beach this morning. Looks to be a repeater output on Dakin Peak: FCC Callsign WPGD378 Details I'm told their radios on the island have three "channels": Pebbly Beach, Dakin Peak, and Black Jack. Other than the above, I don't have freqs or talkgroups, unfortunately.

California Dept of Parks & Recreation
I heard the following channels with DCS 115:
Yellow
Aqua
Lt Blue
Sand
Violet
Blue
Jade (also heard DCS 125 briefly)
Copper
Sand

"Yellow" is Huntington Beach / Sunset Beach area. Multiple references to intersections of PCH and Warner/Brookhurst/Magnolia.
"Sand" is also beach traffic. Heard references to Huntington Beach and Crystal Cove.

The End. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Cool thanks for your obervations.

I'll work to update the Db in the coming week. Any questions I will PM you.

PaulNDaOC

An earlier post asked about how active L-tac is on Catalina. The layout of Avalon dictates being away from MDT-equipped vehicles and golf carts and more on foot so it is more efficient time-wise for the dispatcher at Avalon to advise the deputies in person or on direct before typing in the call into CAD to get voiced.

LASD uses three transmit sites on Catalina (Dakin, Blackjack,Tower). As far as a new remote location on 483.7125 the other valid FCC license on the island is at Twin Harbors where the resident deputies (187 units) work and reside.
Wouldn't doubt if this is a low priority future plan, as I doubt coverage in the outback is a priority. After all it took the department 20 years to install a transmitter (Brea Nike) that could be heard throughout La Mirada and East Whittier when away from the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.