Scanning but not picking up signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vhram01

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I need someone to help me, I programmed my Uniden BCD396XT using freescan software before and didn't have any problems I was able to listen everything but then I reprogrammed it and added extra Systems, sites and groups and now it scans but it doesn't pick up any signal I don't hear anything at all, I even did a factory reset and reprogrammed it again and still doesn't pick up any signal, I tried the weather scan and it does work I can listen to that so it isn't the antenna or speaker, I watched several videos on YouTube and did the programming exactly the same way and still nothing, the first time I programmed it 2 years ago when I bought it I didn't have this problem I successfully programmed it, Io also tried to program my mobile scanner BCD996T and same problem it scans but no signal, iit seems to me that maybe there is a problem with freescan software? Please help! KG6OKP

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello, I need someone to help me, I programmed my Uniden BCD396XT using freescan software before and didn't have any problems I was able to listen everything but then I reprogrammed it and added extra Systems, sites and groups and now it scans but it doesn't pick up any signal I don't hear anything at all, I even did a factory reset and reprogrammed it again and still doesn't pick up any signal, I tried the weather scan and it does work I can listen to that so it isn't the antenna or speaker, I watched several videos on YouTube and did the programming exactly the same way and still nothing, the first time I programmed it 2 years ago when I bought it I didn't have this problem I successfully programmed it, Io also tried to program my mobile scanner BCD996T and same problem it scans but no signal, iit seems to me that maybe there is a problem with freescan software? Please help! KG6OKP
Which version of FreeSCAN are you using?

From your description, it sounds as if something is missing in your programming file. After 'reprogramming' your 996XT to add systems, it is no longer picking anything up (but weather works, so the receiver is not dead). And then the 996T also went silent after being reloaded. It would be helpful if you posted your programming file hear, so that someone can look for any accidental errors or omissions. Also, be sure & specify your location (city, or county, with state) and the specific systems. Your FreeSCAN file would have a *.996 extension, which cannot be directly uploaded (not an accepted file type), but there is a workaround.

[FONT=&quot]To upload an *.996 file, to the Forums, you must change the file extension to one acceptable per forum requirements. To do that, note where your file is saved on your PC.
Using Windows Explorer, find the file.
There are two ways to do this. You can either change the file extension itself, or compress the file using 7-Zip or other file utility. The *.zip file extension can be attached to a post and uploaded to the Forums.

Or, using Windows Explorer, rename your file one of these two ways:
For illustration, let's call your exported file 'MyFile.996' (without the quotes).
<Right><Click> on the file & choose Rename from the pop-up menu.
You can then rename your file to MyFile.txt, or MyFile.996.txt in order to attach it to a post. Whoever views the file will need to reset the file name back to MyFile.996, then it can be imported into FreeSCAN for viewing.[/FONT]

Voyager

It could be so many things. Are those Systems locked out? Any of the Groups locked out? Did you assign a Quick Key to the system or Group (and if so is it enabled)?

vhram01

Premium Subscriber
I'm using Freescan sixspot software and I downloaded San Bernardino County Systems.. Yes I assigned a quick key to the systems and groups and nothing is locked out.

Voyager

Is he Quick Key enabled?

Something to try: remove the quick Keys. If it starts working something was not enabled.

vhram01

Premium Subscriber
I removed the quick keys and still doesn't pick up any signal, it doesn't show the frequencies, it only say NFM, I wonder what that means, I don't remember seeing thst that in my old programming..

vhram01

Premium Subscriber
Tomorrow I will try to upload the programming, I've been busy working and replying from my phone.

vhram01

Premium Subscriber
I think it is Narrow Frequency modulation, I wonder if that is the problem.

vhram01

Premium Subscriber
My BCD396XT Scans but doesn't pick up anything

Hello, I'm having a problem, I reprogrammed both of my scanners BCD996T and BCD396XT using Freescan and they do scan but doesn't pick up anything, when I programmed them for first time I didn't have any problem about a year and a half ago and I was picking up all local law enforcement, the scanners do work fine, I can listen to the weather, Ham radio so I have no idea what's going on, I even did a factory reset and updated the Firmware then reprogrammed them and still nothing, at this point I don't know what else to do I need someone to please help me with some ideas.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello, I'm having a problem, I reprogrammed both of my scanners BCD996T and BCD396XT using Freescan and they do scan but doesn't pick up anything, when I programmed them for first time I didn't have any problem about a year and a half ago and I was picking up all local law enforcement, the scanners do work fine, I can listen to the weather, Ham radio so I have no idea what's going on, I even did a factory reset and updated the Firmware then reprogrammed them and still nothing, at this point I don't know what else to do I need someone to please help me with some ideas.
In order for anyone to give you a useful answer, you would need to provide your location (city, or county, + your state would be sufficient). Also, provide a link to the database page for what you are trying to monitor. Look up the system in the database, then paste the link to that page in your response.

Has there been any significant changes in your area? A move to either a P25 Phase II system, or DMR? If either of those is the case, then the scanners you have would not be able to monitor them.

I see that you posted a similar question a few months ago, but there was not a follow up when you indicated that you would upload your programming file.

vhram01

Premium Subscriber
Ops,that is the link to the database, let me try to copy the programming file

vhram01

Premium Subscriber
I'm having trouble uploading the file, it keeps saying invalid file, let me figure out what the problem is.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm having trouble uploading the file, it keeps saying invalid file, let me figure out what the problem is.
A FreeSCAN file has a file extention of *.996, which is not allowed here on the forums.

Your work-around to get it to upload can be done several ways. Your first option is to zip the file (compress it) using WinZip or the free 7-Zip.

The other options are to rename it to an acceptable file extention. The list of those acceptable are on the screen where you pick the file to upload. Let's say your file is labeled as 'myfile.996' (without the quotes). Either rename it as 'myfile.txt' or 'myfile.996.txt'. Whoever is going to take a look can then change the file extention so that it is recognized by FreeSCAN.

vhram01

Premium Subscriber
Here is the programming file.

Attachments

• myfile.txt.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 18

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Here is the programming file.
You've named all your systems and sites the same, SAN BER-COUNTY, which makes it harder to figure out what you have set up. There are multiple systems in the county, all named San Bernardino County followed by a number.

Your first system, which lists 856.3625 as one of the system frequencies, appears to match up what the database refers to as San Bernardino County 08. Looking at FCC licenses, I see that they are flagged as being rebanded, but that is not reflected on the systems database page. Read the Rebanding page in the Wiki for a better description of what is involved.

Your second system appears to line up with San Bernardino County 09. Here again, the FCC licenses reflect rebanded frequencies, which are not what is on the database page.

The third system appears to match up to San Bernardino County 10. Same thing. Different frequencies on the FCC license as opposed to what shows on the database page.

The fourth system appears to be San Bernardino County 06/07. Note that, for Fontana & Rialto, the San Bernadino page also shows they may have talkgroups on the P25 system, which is not included in your file. I did not check all sites on this system, but one frequency, 857.3625 shows to be used both on the System 8 simulcast, as well as the Onyx site of the P25 system. The Onyx site, on the map, appears to be at or near the same location as one of the towers used for a site on the System 8 simulcast.

In the attached file, I have renamed the systems to match their database equivalents. I have also modified the frequencies in the 866 to 868MHz range to their 'rebanded' values 15MHz lower, and added rebanding tables where needed. Save the file to your PC, then strip the txt off of the file so that s named vhram01.996, and open that with FreeSCAN. Try loading and see if that helps at all.

What you should do, if possible, is run UniTrunker on these sites to verify that they were updated along the lines that I've guessed. I noticed that one of the sites, when I also tried an import, was labeled as a 'splinter' site. That's used along the borders of Mexico & Canada. As that is not used in the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area, where I'm at, I don't claim to be fully familiar with the intricacies of it. Since some of the sites on the P25 system are using frequencies that were originally assigned to one or more of the systems as listed currently, UniTrunker may be able to help clarify what is actually being used on each site. From over a thousand miles awy, all I can do is make a guess.

I would suggest that you request your thread be moved to the California forum. Someone there might have information of any upgrades or changes done on these systems. To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the red outlined triangle in the upper right corner of your original post, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there.

Attachments

• vhram01.996.txt
    26.4 KB · Views: 21

vhram01

Premium Subscriber
I already downloaded the file and uploaded it to the scanner, I've been monitoring for about 5 minutes but still not picking up anything, I'm going to wait a little longer and see what happens, I'm going to do what you told me and move this thread to California hopefully someone can help me and share the file of their programming, Thank you very much for your help and your time I really appreciate it.

N6RDC

Not sure if it helps but most law enforcement has gone to encrypted and you won't be able to receive them. Fire and ambulance aren't encrypted so you should be able to receive them. I'm out in yucaipa and miss monitoring sheriff from Rancho cucamonga, Fontana, highland, redlands, etc.

vhram01

Premium Subscriber
Really? So then the scanners will be useless... on my mobile scanner I still pick up a one second partial transmission from different departments when they are talking but not the whole conversation. I can only hear Upland and Montclair

Status
Not open for further replies.