Lasd term dp

Status
Not open for further replies.

alzeegator

Almost 40 years ago I was a Los Angeles deputy sheriff. I recently started using a scanner and most of the codes and procedures really haven't changed that much. However I hear dispatchers using DP or DB? when they are referring to what we used to call subjects or suspects. I've done the search engine engine routes and checked the sites with radio codes and can't find the translation. By context I know what the rto means I am just curious to the literal meaning. Anybody actual know. I can WAG with the best.

PaulNDaOC

Alzeegator, I have a never-ending fondness for those days when SRC was fed through the PA speaker so deputies would know when there was a call for them or a Priority call elsewhere in the station area, and when you went Code 6, you were Code 6, and you were on your own if it hit the fan unless you could get back to the car radio.

Thank You for setting the example that today's deputies and officers should strive for..

jrholm

Alzeegator, I have a never-ending fondness for those days when SRC was fed through the PA speaker so deputies would know when there was a call for them or a Priority call elsewhere in the station area, and when you went Code 6, you were Code 6, and you were on your own if it hit the fan unless you could get back to the car radio.

Thank You for setting the example that today's deputies and officers should strive for..

Fond memories of that sound growing up in LASD patrolled neighborhoods led me to my career path. Another month to regain my complete freedom of speech. 30 years have gone by in the blink of an eye

PaulNDaOC

Fond memories of that sound growing up in LASD patrolled neighborhoods led me to my career path. Another month to regain my complete freedom of speech. 30 years have gone by in the blink of an eye

Congratulations on what are probably 30 years of events and crisies that arose in that time that most any other man or woman carrying a shield could ever witness at another agency.

And wow, during that time the size and scope of the department has exploded. The old saying 'The Bear goes Everywhere' sure rings true now more than ever, and you helped make LASD what it is today.

Thank You.

PaulNDaOC

How about when making a T-stop hanging the microphone out the car window so you could get to the radio if things turned south.

Clever. I never saw that one.

How about writing the call on the rooftop of the car so the RTO would not have to 10-9?

Last edited:

scottyhetzel

Clever. I never saw that one.

How about writing the call on the rooftop of the car so the RTO would not have to 10-9?

LASO did not have RTO like LAPD. It’s was the “desk” which was the local station serving the area.. stations took all 911 calls , sent data to src. And src dispatchers voiced the call. Still done this way currently.

PaulNDaOC

LASO did not have RTO like LAPD. It’s was the “desk” which was the local station serving the area.. stations took all 911 calls , sent data to src. And src dispatchers voiced the call. Still done this way currently.

The dispatchers at SCC have been reclassified several times over the past few decades. In the 70's they were RTO's, then became Communications Ops, and are now Public Response Dispatchers.

The county is funny like that. The civilians on the desk were Station Desk Operation Assistants aka Sodas, then reclassed to Law Enforcement Tech's.

It's a county thing. that comes with a wage scale adjustment.

jrholm

The dispatchers at SCC have been reclassified several times over the past few decades. In the 70's they were RTO's, then became Communications Ops, and are now Public Response Dispatchers.

The county is funny like that. The civilians on the desk were Station Desk Operation Assistants aka Sodas, then reclassed to Law Enforcement Tech's.

It's a county thing. that comes with a wage scale adjustment.

Originally they were just Desk Operations Assistant but they quickly realized DOA was already widely used. Temple Station was one of the pilot stations and we stole some real talent from SRC

PaulNDaOC

Originally they were just Desk Operations Assistant but they quickly realized DOA was already widely used. Temple Station was one of the pilot stations and we stole some real talent from SRC

I did not realize that, and I'm a bit surprised because it seems if memory is correct the pay scale was a lot lower hence the recertification to LET which placed them a lot closer to SRC.

When the recert to LET tool place SCC did lose at least four of our better dispatchers to station desks that had close to 3o years experience total.

When fire opened up their dispatch to civilians SCC lost a number, high-caliber dispatchers to them also.

For reasons I will not say publicly, I think SCC will be history in ten years or less and the one function that they are needed for coordination can be handled at HQ Bureau or whatever they are calling it these days. Station dispatchers can patch together frequencies just as well as anyone, and they can be trained to be uniform in the county way.

I got tired of Lancaster being held with 14 two decades ago, and I'm surprised there is nothing ever said. It's not a staffing issue as much as it is with the staff.

jrholm

I did not realize that, and I'm a bit surprised because it seems if memory is correct the pay scale was a lot lower hence the recertification to LET which placed them a lot closer to SRC.

When the recert to LET tool place SCC did lose at least four of our better dispatchers to station desks that had close to 3o years experience total.

When fire opened up their dispatch to civilians SCC lost a number, high-caliber dispatchers to them also.

For reasons I will not say publicly, I think SCC will be history in ten years or less and the one function that they are needed for coordination can be handled at HQ Bureau or whatever they are calling it these days. Station dispatchers can patch together frequencies just as well as anyone, and they can be trained to be uniform in the county way.

I got tired of Lancaster being held with 14 two decades ago, and I'm surprised there is nothing ever said. It's not a staffing issue as much as it is with the staff.

From the looks of the new equipment being dropped off at the station desks, you could be right.

PaulNDaOC

I just heard the sign-off tribute SCC did for your last shift. It was a unique and very thoughtful of all involved.

It was nice to hear that somebody took the time to put in words your contributions to the community and the department.

If it was not the first retirement broadcast, then you are surely in a very small exclusive group.

Congrats.

Last edited:

jrholm

I just heard the sign-off tribute SCC did for your last shift. It was a unique and very thoughtful of all involved.

It was nice to hear that somebody took the time to put in words your contributions to the community and the department.

If it was not the first retirement broadcast, then you are surely in a very small exclusive group.

Congrats.

Thank you, it was a great ride. Having my dear friend Donna make the broadcast was icing on the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.