Pulse Point Gone Again in SB County

Status
Not open for further replies.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Santa Barbara County has apparently shut off Pulse Point again. They did this last year, but reconnected again. Their excuse is that it costs too much money. Yet, they are taking criticism for not having good notifications for fires. As I write this, a two alarm brush fire has started in the Las Cruces area of Highway 1. Fortunately, I have tone outs set up on my radio.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Hold everything it seems to be back on. Guess they plugged it back in at dispatch. Either that or they paid the bill.

ChrisE_STB

CA Database Admin
Database Admin
You do realize Pulse Point it not to alert you to Fires. The intended purpose of Pulse Point is to alert a citizen to someone needing CPR within a distance from their phone. Pulse Point was taken down last night for CAD upgrades. They can "take" all the criticism but like I said above thats not its indented propose and never will be.

Where adopted, PulsePoint Respond empowers everyday citizens to provide life‐saving assistance to victims of sudden cardiac arrest.

[App users who have indicated they are trained in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and willing to assist in case of an emergency can be notified if someone nearby is having a cardiac emergency and may require CPR.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
You do realize Pulse Point it not to alert you to Fires. The intended purpose of Pulse Point is to alert a citizen to someone needing CPR within a distance from their phone. Pulse Point was taken down last night for CAD upgrades. They can "take" all the criticism but like I said above thats not its indented propose and never will be.

Where adopted, PulsePoint Respond empowers everyday citizens to provide life‐saving assistance to victims of sudden cardiac arrest.

[App users who have indicated they are trained in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and willing to assist in case of an emergency can be notified if someone nearby is having a cardiac emergency and may require CPR.

You do realize that prefacing a sentence with the phrase "you do realize" is insulting. It indicates that you do think that the person you are addressing is an ignorant fool and that it is your duty, as a person of superior intellect, to educate them.

I am well aware of the purpose of Pulse Point. I am trained in CPR and at one time was an EMT. I am not just trained in CPR, I've actually done it as a reserve member of the fire department. Regrettably, no one in my immediate vicinity has had a cardiac arrest lately. Very remiss of them.

My comments re: fire alerting stems from the fact that Santa Barbara County has flailed when it comes to issuing evacuation orders in recent incidents. Therefore, this feature of Pulse Point is quite valuable. As I am involved in providing emergency communications and work closely with the Santa Barbara County Office of Emergency Management it is vital that I know of major incidents as soon as possible.

Last, the failure of Pulse Point certainly frustrates its purpose in alerting trained people to cardiac emergencies as well as notifying people of other types of incidents. Who knows, my neighbor could have set his house on fire as a result of a cardiac arrest.

Pulse Point can send messages to its users. A message could have been sent regarding planned maintenance which would have saved everyone some trouble.

mule1075

Feed Provider
My comments re: fire alerting stems from the fact that Santa Barbara County has flailed when it comes to issuing evacuation orders in recent incidents. Therefore, this feature of Pulse Point is quite valuable. As I am involved in providing emergency communications and work closely with the Santa Barbara County Office of Emergency Management it is vital that I know of major incidents as soon as possible.

If you work that closely with OEM you should not have the need for a phone app to get you're information.

deboe

You do realize that prefacing a sentence with the phrase "you do realize" is insulting. It indicates that you do think that the person you are addressing is an ignorant fool and that it is your duty, as a person of superior intellect, to educate them.

This is why I love this place, don't ever change RR....

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
If you work that closely with OEM you should not have the need for a phone app to get you're information.

You're missing the point. It is not about me knowing what's going on, it's about members of the public receiving notifications. In an recent incident the reverse 911 calls were delayed or never placed. One person I know received an evacuation notice by reverse 911 4 hours after evacuations were ordered.

Of course, I know what's going on, but those who need to take action like evacuating don't always know. My friend couldn't get info from the local media because her power was off.

Pulse Point is not an ideal tool for this purpose, but it's better than nothing.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Why not the actual Dispatch SBC app that was designed for that purpose?

I get 10-12 notifications a day, often before Control starts toning out units.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I had forgotten about that app. I had used it, but liked Pulse Point better. Can't remember just why right now. Reloaded it to try again side by side with Pulse Point. As I recall Dispatch missed some calls that PP picked up. Maybe the app is better now. I think they also have an app for Santa Barbara City Fire.

I also have a scanner with the fire tone out enabled for Santa Barbara County.

Status
Not open for further replies.