Scanner Suggestion for Simi Valley, CA Police Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funone

Hi. I am new to Digital P25 Trunked Scanning or monitoring this environment and used to use an Analog Scanner for years and loved it. My research is indicating that most Trunked areas deal with Simulcast Distortion issues. I was hoping to find someone in this Forum from Simi Valley or experience with the area and can recommend a model scanner. I was hoping to not have to go with the most expensive model being the Unication G5 Pager or Uniden SDS100, but really needed some local advice from real users in my area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I moved you question here for better local assistance.

Engine104

Member since 2005
I live in the SFV, but I monitor Simi PD, as well as Ventura County Sheriffs. Ventura County is building a P25, Phase II trunked system, but it is probably a few years away from completion. You can find a discussion on it here: https://forums.radioreference.com/g...7-800-phase-i-p25-trunking-system-2020-a.html

In any case, not all trunked systems suffer from simulcast distortion. I'm not sure if the new Ventura Co system will be simulcast or not.

It's not clear that Simi PD will join the new system when it comes online. It may be a moot point by then because more and more of their digital transmissions are encrypted.

Do you currently own a digital scanner? If so, I'd say stick with that one for now and keep an eye on here about progress on the Ventura Co trunked system. It may be a few years off. Also, it's not clear if the new system will be simulcast or not. Some of the other guys on here may have better info on that than I do. If it isn't going to be simulcast, any P25, Phase 2 scanner should work fine.

Funone

The only scanner I have is a very old analog unit I have not used in years so no scanner of any real use, so I need a new one. I had read about this encryption issue which is too bad. Which scanner do you prefer in today's environment? Or, is Simi's encryption so much of an issue, maybe now is the wrong time to buy.

Engine104

Member since 2005
So far, most of the Simi PD transmissions are in the clear, but many are encrypted. There is still a lot to listen to, though. Ventura CoFd, which you can hear on your analog scanner and Ventura CoSD, LAFD, LACoFD also. For digital, in addition to Simi PD, LAPD and the ICIS system (Burbank PD, Glendale PD, Verdugo Fire, etc). L.A. County is developing a P25 system (LARICS), which should be online by 2020 or so. This will have LACoFD and LASD, and lots more, though LASD may become encrypted.

Most of us in the hobby, unfortunately, agree that most PD will be encrypted within the next few years. My hope, unlikely as it may be, is that PD dispatch will remain in the clear with TACs and SWAT ops encrypted. LAPD so far seems to have no plans to go encrypted, but that may be up to the new chief.

All that said, in terms of buying a new scanner, that depends on what you want to listen to. SIMI PD is mainly in the clear if that is your priority. Check out the Whistler and Uniden forums on here for some newer models. You can also find some good, used digital radios that may tide you over until the new Ventura Co system comes online. I wouldn't spend too much, but at least that would give you Simi PD and LAPD. Check Craig's List and eBay for that.

Funone

Thank you for the input and the link to the Ventura implementation plans. I think your idea of going used for the time being might be the way to go. Now, it is true that the encrypted comms will never be able to be monitored by the average Joe and certainly not legally, correct? Thanks Again.

Engine104

Member since 2005
Thank you for the input and the link to the Ventura implementation plans. I think your idea of going used for the time being might be the way to go. Now, it is true that the encrypted comms will never be able to be monitored by the average Joe and certainly not legally, correct? Thanks Again.

You are correct.

I think you have a good plan. Find something used and not too expensive that includes digital and capable of tuning the 700 Mhz public service band and wait and see what happens. That's what I am doing too. My old Pro-96 works fine now, but it probably won't once the new systems come online.

simiglen

I am in Simi and using a 436hp. Simi is good to listen to, but their dispatch is turning on encryption more and more. There is no rhyme or reason for it. Could be listening for hours and hear it all, but all of a sudden nothing. I believe it all depends on the dispatcher. Only issue I have is that I live near Kuehner so the hills kill any chance of me hearing any transmissions from LAPD or LAFD.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Funone

Thanks for responding. Was there much to programming the scanner to get it to start receiving the channels you wanted to monitor and if so, did you have it done or do it yourself? Any advice specific to Simi?

PaulNDaOC

Engine 104, Your comment about some simulcast distortion grabbed my interest.

There is a new Phase I system in Portland with a lot of complaints from the scanner listening crowd of this.

On the other hand I listen to the Red channel on the OC Smartzone system which is digital and I never have issues on either a 396XT or 325P2.

Have you heard if there are a specific type of deployment that will lead to this, for instance, P25, but not Smartzone?

I have heard listeners spending a little extra that purchase a Unication receiver have avoided this problem.

simiglen

It all depends on the scanner you get. With the 436hp I did it myself. As long as you have a PC at home you can use Sentinel software. It is very easy, almost too easy where you might get overwhelmed with what you want to put on the radio. Over the last year I have reprogrammed my scanner multiple times. Right now I have 17 agencies programmed into my unit. I have included a list of how I programmed mine.

Any other questions just ask. I am no expert, but there are many people that are on this site.

Good luck.

Attachments

• scanner channels.pdf
    147.3 KB · Views: 38

Funone

Simiglen, thank you very much for the download. Very helpful.
Engine 104, Youtube has several demos that seem to prove the case for Unication G4 & G5. Solid Pro level Receivers designed just for that environment. But, most people say pay to ha've them programmed and be prepared to pay top dollar.

simiglen

I might be missing something. Do these scanners go down to the 400mhz range or lower? Both VCSO &VCFD are in the 150’s for the most part and Simi Pd 450-480’s. Also, does this unit only hold 128 channels? Don’t know if I missed it or don’t understand it.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.