California State Park Rangers Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazybob

I live close enough to lake Silverwood that I can hear firefighters on simplex. This includes on 800. But for some reason using the frequencies listed here at RR I can't hear the park Rangers. Their main repeater site is listed as being on Bailey Peak which is just East of Cajon Peak. I live at 6300 feet with a direct line of sight going out over Silverwood and it doesn't really make sense that I can't hear them.

I I'd be very appreciative if someone could tell me the frequencies that lawn force ment are on as well as the lifeguards. Any additional information such as usage I.E. simplex vs. repeater preference would be appreciated.

krazybob

I have programmed the frequencies listed here in the database. I also have an external dedicated 6dBd gain 800 MHz collinear antenna fed with LMR400.

It would be nice if my speech-to-text on my cell phone worked better :)

Last edited:

krazybob

This is what the database shows and includes one rebanded frequency that as I've stated I have programmed. I can hear county fire when they go on FIREMARS direct so I should be able to hear the repeater and most simplex traffic. I have heard some traffic but cannot say that it was Silverwood. I have line of sight to Lake Silverwood just as I do to much of southern California. Living high in the mountains can be a disadvantage.

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
857.93750 WPFM543 RM 115 DPL DPR BAILY GLD Bailey Pk - Silverwood Lake SRA FMN Law Dispatch
866.56250 WPFM543 RM 115 DPL DPR BAILY SND Bailey Pk - Silverwood Lake SRA FMN Law Dispatch
851.56250 WPFM543 RM 115 DPL DPR BAILY SND R Bailey Pk - Silverwood Lake SRA (Rebanded) FMN Law Dispatch

allend

Premium Subscriber
This is what the database shows and includes one rebanded frequency that as I've stated I have programmed. I can hear county fire when they go on FIREMARS direct so I should be able to hear the repeater and most simplex traffic. I have heard some traffic but cannot say that it was Silverwood. I have line of sight to Lake Silverwood just as I do to much of southern California. Living high in the mountains can be a disadvantage.

857.93750 WPFM543 RM 115 DPL DPR BAILY GLD Bailey Pk - Silverwood Lake SRA FMN Law Dispatch
866.56250 WPFM543 RM 115 DPL DPR BAILY SND Bailey Pk - Silverwood Lake SRA FMN Law Dispatch
851.56250 WPFM543 RM 115 DPL DPR BAILY SND R Bailey Pk - Silverwood Lake SRA (Rebanded) FMN Law Dispatch

Keep in mind that State Parks in some areas do not transmit at high power. Most likely at Medium power and you might not be able to hear them.

scottyhetzel

Sounds like your going to silverwood and park and close capture. Should take long..

krazybob

Keep in mind that State Parks in some areas do not transmit at high power. Most likely at Medium power and you might not be able to hear them.

I thought of that but as I've mentioned I can hear fire on 800 FIREMARS direct from the park and they are only 4 watt HT's. The mobiles are likely 35 W APX1500's or similar for interoperability. State resources can be temporarily assigned elsewhere at a given notice and are preprogrammed. The repeaters are 65 W on Baily Peak, the repeater, and at the base at ground level.

That's the issue. I should be able to hear them from here since I am line of sight. I'll have to take a trip up to my repeater site that directly overlooks the lake and if I still can't hear it something is amiss. The repeater may be using a 6dB gain collinear with a screen behind it because when I plot it out it covers a tremendous area in like a black widow formation north and south with the lake in the middle. It may just be highly directional. But simplex?

Oh well.

cmdrwill

Looks like Bob will be learning a lot about controlled coverage. And that is NOT covered in Antenna 101.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Looks like Bob will be learning a lot about controlled coverage. And that is NOT covered in Antenna 101.

An awful lot of system engineering takes place to make sure a signal doesn't go too far.

krazybob

Bob already knows about controlled coverage. With numerous repeaters simulcasted of my own that have to go from 6500 feet at our main site down to lake level at 5000 feet within a few miles I know things like antenna gain, down tilt, lobes on particular antennas, whether to use a 5dB dual dipole with reflector, such as a Comprod F-3713. Whether to invert the antenna, like a Laird FG1443 that looks like elephant ears when inverted, of a voted receive site and other things not covered in antenna 101. Maybe even using a Motorola 17dBd yagi pointed at Baily Peak.

I even know from that they are using a 3dBd gain antenna so that they can hit the lake level at 3385 feet from 5770 feet but still maintain coverage outside of the actual lake for things like access roads in and out at various altitudes and locations in mountainous topography, pursuits, Assist Other Department calls (AOD's) like backing CHP or SO, etc. The recreation area is over 2,400 acres with campgrounds all around. They do have two frequencies used at lake level. One is the lifeguards and the third is unknown use. They only have one 65W repeater with 136W ERP. Since repeaters are used to extend the coverage of 4W HT's/35W mobiles and allow officers to talk over large areas it certainly isn't likely that they have a yagi pointed down at the lake that is so, so very big. I sure wouldn't have heard the brief code 3 roll during a fire several weeks ago on a mere Antennacraft ST2. No, they don't have a yagi pointed down at the middle of the lake or a highly directional collinear. They have a 3dB omni directional antenna on Baily Peak. But what do I know. I'm just an amateur extra class licensed 40 years ago.

But thank you for wishing me well.

bailypeak.jpg

lakesilverwood.jpg

cambium.jpg

Last edited:

krazybob

They say that the stupidest question is the one not asked. It seems here there are those that enjoy going out of their way to make someone seem stupid just because he asks a question. Probably because it feeds your ego and makes you feel superior.

Think about that for a bit. Go ahead and quote my last message line by line and reply with an alternative fact for each quote that you have no way of knowing. Oh, and thank you for the opportunity to learning a lot about controlled coverage. And that is NOT covered in Antenna 101.

Mic drop...

krazybob

No one likes it every time they post no matter which group having someone quote their message in segments disagreeing point by point. Especially Bryan when you just have GMRS licence. I consider it harassment and have added you to my ignore list with only two users on it. You seem to take great joy in pushing buttons and trying to assert yourself as the know all be all. Not anymore. With 40 years as an amateur radio operator there's quite a bit I know that I'm sure you don't know. I asked a simple question and look where we've come. I asked what frequency they are on and I'm actually listening to them right now. I didn't ask to be mopped and belittled. I guess they were on another frequency during the fire. Nonetheless, I've had enough of your passive aggressive behavior. Every thread I'm in that turns into a train wreck is when you are in it because you're the one that's got his hand on the switch. It stops now.

Movieman990

Why is there so much of this kind of backbiting dialog going on in some of the forums?

Is it because some member's just have to prove they know more than the next guy?

At least in my newbie state (maybe 10 posts and only 2 months of experience) I know my place in the scheme of things. All I have to worry about is the ham veterans with x thousand posts looking down their noses at me because I am so green and didn't have to learn morse code.

krazybob

I'm not going to look down on you and I don't have thousands of posts. I've been here since 2003. It's best that we just let this drop. If you have questions that I might be able to answer I'd be happy to. Even with 40 years experience (actually more since I repaired my first TV at the age of 12) there are things I don't know and I ask. Ignore the trolls that follow you from group to group making sure to comment in detail. Now let this question drop. It is best for everyone.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
No one likes it every time they post no matter which group having someone quote their message in segments disagreeing point by point.

Who disagreed with anything? I just said "An awful lot of system engineering takes place to make sure a signal doesn't go too far", and you come unglued.

With 40 years as an amateur radio operator...

Hey, that's great! ULS has you since 2006, but what's 28 years among friends.

Maybe if you didn't lie about stuff, people wouldn't quibble about the details. Carry on, Bob... carry on.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Why is there so much of this kind of backbiting dialog going on in some of the forums?

Perhaps you don't know the players like some of us do. Give it time. :p

Welcome to the hobby, btw. There really is something for everyone here.

Status
Not open for further replies.