Squad 87

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matakovich1

I used to work in the La Puente area a while back. I look at pulse point off and on. I noticed for LA County Fire there is a S87(Squad 87). Did the county add a Squad to their station?

tkenny53

59's is a single door building, thus a on-board paramedic works well as no one knows if 49, 191, or 28 's will be the squad. Having a on-board PM helps with delays on responses.
Note, back in the 70's, 59's was the paramedic training unit based out of Harbor General Hosp in Carson.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Squad Truck Equipment

Hello, I am not familiar with LACOFD Squads; would you be able to answer some questions?

Would you consider Squad trucks to be like a "mini-rescue" A smaller version to the larger USAR Rescue Squads?

I know the Squads carry ALS medical equipment and run to a lot of EMS calls, but do LACOFD Squads carry auto-extraction equipment, rope bags, SCBA's, gas monitors and tools/fans to support a Truck company at a fire scene?

Thanks in advance!!

Engine104

Member since 2005
Hi Engine 4,

Just think of a modern version of Squad 51 from the old Emergency show :) I think they carry a few of the items you mentioned, but they are mainly for ALS.

I'm old enough to remember the debate when the LAFD decided to go with an abulance for paramedic work and LACoFD decided to use the squad and a private ambulance company.

PaulNDaOC

L.A. County Fire had squads well before EMS, and a primary function back then was a primary function. Before EMS they would be sent out at the request of the Sheriff to render aid to people that could not afford an ambulance.

The Sheriff's Dept. sent out a unit to assess the person and decide if they would issue something that was called an EAP (EMergency Aid Plan) slip to guarantee payment to the ambulance company from county funds if they could not collect.

You can get an idea of how squads used to work by watching an old show that ran in the early 60's called Rescue 8. There are full episodes on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsGN4S_Mw-M&list=PLXPpqNb5fr6tIKEMnzphbeMfciccrlToF

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
59's is a single door building, thus a on-board paramedic works well as no one knows if 49, 191, or 28 's will be the squad. Having a on-board PM helps with delays on responses.
Note, back in the 70's, 59's was the paramedic training unit based out of Harbor General Hosp in Carson.

59's is a single door station, but it is a double-wide (two) bay. No reason that a Squad couldn't work there.

Kingscup

Feed Provider
Hello, I am not familiar with LACOFD Squads; would you be able to answer some questions?

Would you consider Squad trucks to be like a "mini-rescue" A smaller version to the larger USAR Rescue Squads?

I know the Squads carry ALS medical equipment and run to a lot of EMS calls, but do LACOFD Squads carry auto-extraction equipment, rope bags, SCBA's, gas monitors and tools/fans to support a Truck company at a fire scene?

My understanding is that some squads may carry more equipment than other squads. There may be a few squads that may carry auto extrication for example because there is not a nearby truck company or is in a more rural area.

Then there are what they call “heavy” squads. These squads are slightly larger to carry more medical equipment for mass casualty incidents. I believe there is 1 per battalion?

PaulNDaOC

My understanding is that some squads may carry more equipment than other squads. There may be a few squads that may carry auto extrication for example because there is not a nearby truck company or is in a more rural area.

Then there are what they call “heavy” squads. These squads are slightly larger to carry more medical equipment for mass casualty incidents. I believe there is 1 per battalion?

I found this at code3high.com:

There is one glaring area without one, BN 8,9,21, and if correct must be because there is a heavy rescue at 103's.

There is pretty much one heavy paramedic squad per division with a few exceptions. It pretty much looks the same as a regular squad, except it has more supplies on it. It has the triage tarps, more backboards, more medical supplies and auto-injectors than the regular squads. These heavy squads are the normal squads at Fire Stations 19, 21, 29, 31, 36, 37, 47, 50, 54, 68, 111, 118, 129, 151, and 172.

Status
Not open for further replies.