RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > California Radio Discussion Forum > Greater Los Angeles & Inland Areas Discussion

Greater Los Angeles & Inland Areas Discussion - Local area specific discussion for Los Angeles and its outlying areas such as Ventura and Orange Counties, and the Inland Empire area.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 7:24 PM

Default Los Angeles Area Question

I have a friend who is sight impaired. I recently programmed his scanner for a visit in the LA area. When he came back he advised me that LA Sheriff and LAPD are encrypted. He complained about the beeps and only hearing the dispatcher. I remember the beeps being a marker tone on the sheriff channels something the sheriff department has done forever so I assume that is what he was talking about. He said he never heard LAPD at all which made him think they are 100% encrypted. So I am just asking in this forum, are either agencies the sheriff or LAPD encrypted reference dispatch?
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2018, 7:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonzo View Post
I have a friend who is sight impaired. I recently programmed his scanner for a visit in the LA area. When he came back he advised me that LA Sheriff and LAPD are encrypted. He complained about the beeps and only hearing the dispatcher. I remember the beeps being a marker tone on the sheriff channels something the sheriff department has done forever so I assume that is what he was talking about. He said he never heard LAPD at all which made him think they are 100% encrypted. So I am just asking in this forum, are either agencies the sheriff or LAPD encrypted reference dispatch?
Nope.
Old 08-12-2018, 9:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Does your friend have a radio that covers P25 (digital)? He will need that to hear LAPD.
Old 08-12-2018, 9:20 PM

Default LA

The LA Sheriffs dispatch continues to use the "beep beep" to indicate that the freq is in use and only dispatch can be heard unless they open a "patch" for a crime broadcast by unit in the field. (Been that way for about 40 years that I can recall)

LAPD is not encrypted however they ARE on P25 so if your friend's scanner isn't P25 capable he wouldn't have heard anything..
ICOM H-16 (3 )/ U-16/ V-100 / 2100H and misc scanners.
Old 08-13-2018, 9:20 AM

Thank you so much for the response. It is what I expected but I just wanted to confirm before I talk to him. Yes his scanner is P25 capable but due to his sight impairment he may not have opened the LAPD file. I suspect he only had the sheriff file opened. Thanks again!
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2018, 8:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Neither is encrypted. LAPD is P25, but not encrypted.

LASO has used the beeper forever. Nothing has changed there. You only hear the dispatch, unless the patch is enabled, thus putting the system in repeater mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2018, 10:08 PM

Turn off the delay on dispatch..add the mobile as the priority and if your close you can hear the mobile.
Old 08-14-2018, 2:39 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Most LAPD and LASD alive and well on scanners here in Los Angeles area.