San Bernardino County shutting down analog repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazybob

I was wondering how long it was going to take. Over the weekend San Bernardino County fire turned off their analog repeaters. No control tones on any of them. That is unless they've moved the frequencies over into the new plans which don't appear on the San Bernardino page itself. I believe it's on a wiki page. Up until now I haven't needed to upgrade to a scanner capable of phase II P25. Well I guess that's changed. Does anybody know of any other County analog repeaters that have been shut down? I believe system 4-FIRE-1, is still up which is Yucca Valley although the units are using the new digital channels. They sound horrible by the way. I'm listening on County 2 analog VHF patch. They sound garbled and drop out quite a bit. CHP is worse but that's off topic.

g51dv

Premium Subscriber
system 8 has rebanded with fewer channels. check 851-853 for the control channel. today 363f is on 852.8375. I am hearing fire talk groups on it.

krazybob

My 1st post in this thread should have been worded differently. I assumed incorrectly that since system 8 was offline and based on feedback from a dispatcher to units in the field seeming that seemed to imply that it wasn't coming back on I made the incorrect assumption that they were finally done doing the changeover to the new digital system. Since my new position is a 100% disabled I don't have access to information as I used to. I still have my 800 radio and I assumed that when it to started beeping out of range that the final changeover had taken place. I was wrong.

Up until now I haven't needed anything more than a racks of 796s. I'm now looking at picking up some 996P2s for streaming. But I have to admit I don't quite know what to make of the new system. I therefore humbly ask for help.

I see that there is what appears to be a wide area network for lack of a better term such as East Valley and West Valley. Drilling down further I see additional sites as in a local area network for lack of a better term and using system 8 for an example it has the expected Strawberry Peak, Heaps Peak, Keller Peak, Onyx, etc.

For the purpose of programming am I supposed to program the wide area network frequencies for lack of a better term or control channels only or just the site closest to me since it's a simulcast system? I don't want to assume incorrectly again but won't all units be affiliated from one site to the next at the local area network and then at the wide area network? I am a premium member here and can just download the configuration but I'd like to understand the process at a more granular level.

Then there's my original question buried in my incorrect assumption. What are the control channel only frequencies for system 8 analog? I don't mind doing the footwork if somebody can tell me which direction to start walking. It's my understanding that the analog system is not going to remain online once the build-out is complete. That's why I feel it's better to make the switch now even though it's been my experience listening on County 2 (BDCV2R) to garbled digital transmissions that are being simulcast. Some fall out completely. As a ham I work with P25 and DMR and I'm familiar with it.

Last edited:

g51dv

Premium Subscriber

system 6/7 control channel is on 853.3375 this morning. I am hearing traffic on 867.1625, 855.1875, and 855.6625. I am hearing fire talk groups.

krazybob

What talkgroups are being heard on Onyx repeater?

I'm not hearing any talkgroup on Onyx. Just a weak control channel. I get 852.8375 when I do a range search and its full strength but I can't get it to lock as a control channel on plan 1-4. It isn't listed as a CC either. When I look it up here it shows as an East Valley frequency but not a control channel yet its constant data. The BC796 doesn't go below 800. I am not one that searches out control channels. So... time for an upgrade anyway. No one seems to know or willing to offer the system 8 CC's on the analog system.

krazybob

No control channels on System 6 analog. I can hear a flea fart from right above it. Not in the shack; not in the car, not on the HT. Nothing on System 10 either. Since the antenna is a yagi pointed right at the various sites, and since I can hear L.A. City Fire I'm confident that it isn't the radio. Time to get current.

g51dv

Premium Subscriber

today I am hearing comm center fire disp. on system 8 with the control channel on 852.8375 and voice channels 853.6875 and 852.3375.

MEDIC135

Premium Subscriber
Just to add to this thread, I’ve lost connections with System 6
Motorola is saying “Out of Range” so something is happening that not too many of us know about

g51dv

Premium Subscriber

today system 6/7 control channel is 853.3375. the voice channels are 855.1875, 855.6625, 852.1625 and 853.1625. 853.1625 is also being used as a control channel. I am hearing fire talk groups on this system.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That's why I feel it's better to make the switch now even though it's been my experience listening on County 2 (BDCV2R) to garbled digital transmissions that are being simulcast. Some fall out completely. As a ham I work with P25 and DMR and I'm familiar with it.

If simulcast is causing garbling at your location, you should look into getting at least one SDS100. It's the only scanner currently available specifically designed to handle simulcast.

krazybob

If simulcast is causing garbling at your location, you should look into getting at least one SDS100. It's the only scanner currently available specifically designed to handle simulcast.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough. The garble was on analog BDCV2R - County 2. The units were on 700/800 and are being rebroadcasted on the analog mutual aid channels such as BDCV2R 159.120 PL 167.9. The same with System 6. It should be on BDCV1R.151.145 PL 103.5. The garble therefore was on county's receivers that were being rebroadcasted.

krazybob

today system 6/7 control channel is 853.3375. the voice channels are 855.1875, 855.6625, 852.1625 and 853.1625. 853.1625 is also being used as a control channel. I am hearing fire talk groups on this system.

That's awesome That's awesome! Any idea what's working for system 8? Like I said I can get a control channel really strong but it's listed as part of the new P25 group. I'm not hearing any control channels other than that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.