Looking for some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanfan22

Is anyone looking to give away a handheld HAM radio that covers 70cm (440) and the 2 meter bands, that can also cover 800 mhz for LAFD? I do not have the means to purchase one but there are times when a handheld one would really be useful since the only thing I have is a mobile that I am using as a base station.

I am actually also curious what handheld might be good for someone with cerebral palsy? It would be best if you responded using my email address cdfman1@gmail.com. I am putting this here because of the frequencies that I would need to monitor are in the Los Angeles area which is where I live.

PS: If this is not the right forum to put this kind of post into please do two things. 1. Feel free to move it. 2. Please notify me via email why this should have been put in a different forum. I think this is the right place but I'm not 100% sure.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Well there is no radio that covers the 440/2M band that will also cover 800 mhz unless you are going to spend a few thousands of dollars for a quad band commerical grade Motorola APX radio.

You best best is to buy a scanner radio that will cover all of those bands to receive only. If you are looking to transmit then you can only buy a radio that does 440/2M HAM band. Then you would need to buy an 800 mhz handheld or mobile scanner to do what you want.

As to anyone looking to give away a radio I can pretty much say that is not going to happen. Now if I win the lotto tonight then I have your email and I will buy you a Motorola APX 8000 radio for you and ship it to you. Wish me luck. Or good luck to you

mule1075

Feed Provider
Well there is no radio that covers the 440/2M band that will also cover 800 mhz unless you are going to spend a few thousands of dollars for a quad band commerical grade Motorola APX radio.

You best best is to buy a scanner radio that will cover all of those bands to receive only. If you are looking to transmit then you can only buy a radio that does 440/2M HAM band. Then you would need to buy an 800 mhz handheld or mobile scanner to do what you want.

As to anyone looking to give away a radio I can pretty much say that is not going to happen. Now if I win the lotto tonight then I have your email and I will buy you a Motorola APX 8000 radio for you and ship it to you. Wish me luck. Or good luck to you
Since the OP will not be transmitting on the 800mhz LAFD frequencies just receiving. The Yaseu vx-6r or something similar will do what he wants just fine.

Last edited:

scanfan22

Haha regarding the lottery. Scanner is not a problem. What 440/ 2M handheld might be good for someone with physical disabilities such as CP?

Status
Not open for further replies.