Kma ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sownman

For years in the LA area we've had license plate frames around saying KMA 367.
Urban legend, or fact (don't know which) was always that if you had one of those you'd never get a ticket. They meant you were a cop, or related to a cop.

Last night I was monitoring LAPD and heard an officer say KMA. It was used as a sign off where you would normally expect to here "roger" or "clear" he just said KMA.

Can anyone clear up just what KMA means and or what the deal with the license frames is ?

Steve

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
KMA = keep me advised.
KMA367 is the old LAPD radio system's call sign. Supposedly, the LAPRAAC store at the LAPD academy will only sell those plate frames to cops. Don't know if that policy still exists (or if it ever really did.)

Station51

Kma Plates

KMA367 KJC725 KA4993 (CHP)

Back in the 80's all departments advised officers to remove these plate frames as it was causing the vehicles to be targeted by gang members.

These days when you see one on a vehicle you can be SURE it doesn't belong to an officer, more likely a wanna be.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The plate I've seen most is "KA4993" (CHP). The plate I've seen in more modern times is "11-99 Club".

gryeyes911

Drive down Stillwater Rd, just off West Reed Ave in West Sacramento, and you'll see the most KA4993 plate frames you've EVER seen in your life! (It amazes me every work day.)

And I'd beg to differ with Station51, as "wanna be" doesn't fit more than 1% of the folks driving the cars with those license plate frames.

The "11-99 Club" plate frames are for supporters of the CHP through donations to the fund for CHP family member scholarships, extra support for hardship reasons, and support to spouses/children of injured or killed officers.

The majority of the folks I've met who sport the "11-99" plate frames could be considered "wanna be" sorts, but they're usually well-to-do and have other, more lucrative careers. Not the usual "basket weaver."
<grin>

Radio_Lady

Sownman said:
Last night I was monitoring LAPD and heard an officer say KMA. It was used as a sign off where you would normally expect to here "roger" or "clear" he just said KMA. Can anyone clear up just what KMA means and or what the deal with the license frames is ?
LAPD's callsign for all the mobile frequencies used to be KMA367, until 1982. To more or less comply with FCC frequency-identification requirements at the time, LAPD long ago instituted the procedure that officers were to broadcast "KMA367" at the end of lengthy messages, such as crime broadcasts and after running suspects. It also served to let the dispatcher, and other officers, know that he/she was finished broadcasting, kind of like "over" or "over and out."

A couple things happened along the way though. They apparently got tired of saying all those numbers :roll: and it got abbreviated to a simple KMA. Nobody has ever complained, least of all the FCC, so the habit stuck. With the move to UHF in 1982, the main callsign became KJC625, but the officers, tradition-bound, have mostly stuck with "KMA." You'll sometimes hear a "KJC," but not very often.

The "Kiss My A**" meaning has already been mentioned, and the license plate frame business has been pretty well covered, too. As was mentioned, some years ago there was an opposite effect supposedly attached to the frames, and word went around that as part of their initiation some gang aspirants were supposedly being required to shoot or kill someone with a KMA367 frame, apparently the thought being that only cops would have them on their cars. LAPD even put the word out, suggesting that, just in case it was true, everyone might consider removing the frames from their cars. I don't think there were ever any cases documented. I don't think a KMA367 (or KA4993, KMA628, or whatever) will do a whole lot to get someone out of or into any trouble they're not otherwise headed toward.

One other very unofficial and unapproved LAPD use of it goes back to the "Over and out" meaning. Once in a while someone will use "KMA" to indicate a person is dead, in the sense that they're "over and out." I don't remember ever hearing it over the radio, though it's probably slipped though. I've only heard it once in a great while around a station, in a gallows humor kind of vein.

Last edited:

bigdog1189

kma?

Hey All,
Just a quick note to the earlier question about KMA 367. Radio_Lady was right on the money as to why and how this call sign was used. Even after 1982, it was used, most often after a lengthy broadcast. Even in the early 90's it was used often, as i was trained to use it back then. One last note, "KMA" was also spoken after either someones retirement broadcast was completed and also when someone has died or gone "EOW", end of watch forever....

shawnio

I can't believe no one mentioned Dragnet ;)

don't you remember how many times they were KMA'n each other each and every radio call :)

Just the facts maa'm ;)

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
You would think in the 6 years that this thread has sat dormant that someone would have brought it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.