• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Orion radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RolnCode3

I use Motorolas at work and know all about programming issues there. I have two Kenwoods which I can program myself.

I've seen Orions here and on eBay. Was wondering if anyone has any good links for more info on them. I've looked before and didn't find much. Do different models/series require different equipment (such as Kenwood x30 vs. x90 series)? How difficult is it to acquire programming cables and software? If there's any threads already can someone point to them?

Thanks

Orions are a very good and stable product; they are popular with amateurs and others. Check out the GE Orion at Yahoo groups for a lot of godd information including the DOS programming software EDACS3; the programming cables are availibe, one source is Price Industries.

el_pichirulo

Orion help

You may have an issues with software. Moto sells per platform package at a reasonable price, but MACOM one lump sum for multiple radios. I guess it depends exactly what you are trying to program also. COneventional only versus trunking.

The cables I use, besides factory, are from Price Industries, they carry an excellent product. As for manuals and specifications, try Hall Electronics, Inc.. Very informative...

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
The conventional only software is about 250 dollars. The trunking capable software (EDACS trunking) is about 10 times that.

It's not tough to get the conventional version. Contact New London Technologies and they can hook you up with it.

Elroy

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
I have one Ericsson-labled VHF highband Orion, and generally prefer it over any of the Motorola Spectra gear I have since it completely spanks the Spectra series.

I have a "System" head on mine plus a FedSig SS2000-ERCSN and Pyramid SVR200 vehicular repeater attached to it. In this configuration I can have a full light/warning system and portable radio access to the car, all in a control head half the size of a comparable x9 Motorola control head. The Orion is capable of at least twice the amount of channels in a Spectra, is narrow-band compliant (if flashed for it) and frankly is just more radio.

The Pyramid repeater I have is also an Ericsson-labeled unit, from when Pyramid was the OE supplier of VRS units to GE/Ericsson. The repeater is user-programmable and is 1/8th the size of the Motorola VRS. Even though the SS2000 and VRS are two separate units, they still take up less space than a Motorola VRS/siren combo and are 200% more useful. The FedSig SS2000-ERCSN is basically a non-signalmaster SmartSiren that is controlled by the Orion's serial bus. You run a serial cable from the control head options cable to the SS2000, program what control head buttons control which features and you're done. The radio also has programmable macros that allow custom control of features and external options, which comes in handy if you choose to set them up.

Bottom line, the Orion is a diamond in the rough...especially when you load it out with options or start exploring the dual tray/head etc. combo's. I'll also endorse the Price Industries cable for programming...never an issue with mine and they built well.

Last edited:

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
I've had both Spectras and Orions installed in my car at the same time.

I prefer the Spectra, remote mount 110 watt chassis with A7 or A4 control head. It fits perfectly in the DIN space under the car stereo and its performance on non-narrowband channels is second to none.

Granted, the Orion is more capable in several key areas but that doesn't mean I like it better. Those
extra capabilities aren't needed in my application so it boils down to radio performance, and also,
to installation considerations. The Orion control head is taller than a standard single DIN space and
has to hang out the front of the dashboard. I consider that to be rather cheesy.

I have both. I removed the Orion and kept the Spectra. And it's not even an Astro Spectra, which is
entirely a different class of radio, far better than the Orion in all the ways that the Orion is better
than the regular Spectra.

Elroy

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
For lowband I think it's a winner. Yes, you'll probably get better performance with a properly tuned Syntor but look at the size of the trunk unit, plus the archaic requirements to program it (and I'm a programming tinkerer).

I was originally going to go with a GE Rangr but I took the cheaper option and went with the Orion, which I now own with the two different style heads and the Station version. Still have that Rangr brand new in box though! Maybe one of these days....

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Rangrs are outstanding radios. They could have stopped the development of mobile radios at the Rangr platform if they wanted to, because with the Rangr, they got it right. Very reliable, great specs,
super clean design and construction. But you probably know they were actually made by JRC.
Japan Radio Corporation's workmanship and design skills are second to none.

Elroy

Status
Not open for further replies.