• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New Harris Momentum Series Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume this not another Open Sky format. The ad says it will work with other vendor's radio.

Harris PSPC

Just another Mototrbo competitor. Poor poor Harris, can't fall behind the DMR times. Its sad that Harris can't except that Motorola is better and that they need some new technology to compete.

BTW, just to clarify, I am referring Harris Radios & Communications, NOT Harris TV/ Radio Broadcasting equipment, which is some of the best out there. LOL

fredva

Feed Provider
It's the DMR open standard format, which is the same format used by Motorola's Mototrbo. So Harris has decided to compete in the low-cost digital market.

iamhere300

Nope, not even remotely close to Broken Sky. It's DMR (same as Mototrbo and Nexedge).

Edit: productionguy85 beat me to it :)

Nexedge is NOT DMR.

the Harris product is simply Hytera radios rebranded. They have been doing this for a while now. The Hytera product being DMR will talk to TRBO, and the other brands that offer DMR such as Tait, but they will not talk to nexedge/IDAS

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Nexedge is NOT DMR.

the Harris product is simply Hytera radios rebranded. They have been doing this for a while now. The Hytera product being DMR will talk to TRBO, and the other brands that offer DMR such as Tait, but they will not talk to nexedge/IDAS

You're absolutely right. Nexedge uses the NXDN CAI and operates in FDMA (completely opposite of TRBO). I stand corrected.

carbineone

Premium Subscriber
Just another Mototrbo competitor. Poor poor Harris, can't fall behind the DMR times. Its sad that Harris can't except that Motorola is better and that they need some new technology to compete.

BTW, just to clarify, I am referring Harris Radios & Communications, NOT Harris TV/ Radio Broadcasting equipment, which is some of the best out there. LOL

Umm what does Motorola make that is better than a PRC-117G or PRC-152 ? I think you should rethink your statement.

DisasterGuy

NEW HARRIS SERIES

New tech? You mean like VIDA, Network First, multi-mode transcoders and mobile and portable multi-band radios covering VHF-800MHz? I deal with radios from many vendors every day for a living and can tell you first hand that Harris makes hight quality products (as does Motorola).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, everybody just calm down... LOL. First off, Harris does make (good) tactical radios, I have never used the tactical models, excet for a 30min demo, so I can't grade those, except from what I have been told and read. As for as my original post, and "new technology" I was referring to was whatever "digital voice coding" the new line will run. As well as Harris getting into the DMR market, as another member posted. I have used both Harris and Motorola on analog and P25 system, and all around I like Motorola better. I know there are many variables that attribute to how a radio/ system work and sound. But thats a different post... I am sorry to say that I am a BRANDIST and I will always prefer Motorola over Harris, EF Johnson, Kenwood, ect. The first step is to admit that I have a problem which I have done, so please get me the help I need to overcome this Motorola Addiction. That is all

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The Harris Momentums are re-badged Hytera PD782 (portables) and mobiles. They are excellent products. I use a high site Hytera DMR repeater everyday that sounds just as good as any Motorola XPR repeater.

Harris would not put their name on crap. And the Momentums are nothing new, Harris has been selling them since 2011/2012.

cg

Premium Subscriber
The OpenSky series is Harris by merger only. They were GE, MA/COM, AMP, Tyco and then Harris.

DisasterGuy

NEW HARRIS SERIES

OpenSky is actually a good solid technology for what it was designed for (ie non-mission critical and data heavy). Sadly under M/A-Com it was pushed as a public safety solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
OpenSky was developed by AMP Wireless systems specifically for FedEx to use as the RF link in a real-time package tracking system. It does work well for that purpose.

But adapting it for use as a reliable digital voice communications system has quite clearly been demonstrated to be problematic at best.

When Harris bought the radio business from M/A-Com, Harris specifically did NOT buy any part of the business relating to the OpenSky systems that had failed to deliver in such a dramatic manner than the states involved sued M/A--Com.

But there have been so many OS failures that I can't recall which state it was that brought the suit that was so big Harris said "We will have no part of your lawsuit, M/A-Com."

The list of OpenSky failures and major complaint reads almost exactly like the list of OpenSky systems installed.

Really, if Harris truly wants to do the smart thing, they would convert all those OpenSky systems over to P25 and at the lowest cost possible to the company that doesn't result in a net loss.

I don't think OpenSky has much of a future.

Status
Not open for further replies.