• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

M/A-COM P7100/7170IP Programming Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisE_STB

CA Database Admin
Database Admin
Hello All,

I am in the process of getting a M/A-COM P7100/7170IP. Does anyone have the ability to program one of these for me? Conv P25 only. Southern California would be ideal, but can ship.

Thanks for your time

Chris

transmission

i just purchased a M/A-COM 7170ip and want to P25, etc. scan ( receive only for public safety). i plan to purchase RPM, but I may need some help also if you guys are still around and willing to help!

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
If you are wanting to use it on a trunked system, then you'll probably not be able to purchase the software as newer than R10B requires AAC licenses (system key) and Harris will not issue AAC licenses without authorization from the system owner. Now, if you are able to purchase R10B, then you'll be set.

Just so you know, the 7100 will not do Phase 2 P25.

transmission

yeah I know it does phase I p25. there are only a couple local talkgroups using phase II where I am. i know version 10 of RPM is available for sale (magically registered), but i'm not sure about the R10B. why would Harris use a letter instead of say 10.x or 11? that's weird eh? doesn't RPM 10 program 7170's just fine? or do i even need the software if it has features 1-40? this is where i'm confused about the "system radio" part. Since it has an IP, for it to receive p25 phase I, does it have to be registered in a government repeater or whatever hardware they use?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
You don't need to enter the IP unless you are a registered user. RPM 10 will work just fine. A "System" radio has a full keypad and the "Scan" model has a limited keypad. The features only tell the radio what it is allowed to do, the same way that Motorola uses Flashcodes. You must have the software as well as a programming cable to program the radio.

transmission

so mine is a system model. it will still scan p25 right? it's supposed to have direct entry also so i thought maybe i could program it that way. so is it safe to scan? there's another article in the forums here where they are saying it can notify some IT admin or something as stolen despite not transmitting or that it is impossible to modify it to not transmit on the public safety channels you are scanning. i've personally seen a youtube video where someone has theirs where it wouldn't transmit while scanning so i know it can be done. just need some help with that part. Is the non-transmit programming part anything special or do you just put the wrong transmit frequency code in and then it beeps rather than transmits if you hit the tx button. Thanks again!

Jace1986

Again do some more research. It’s time consuming (I know). If you really want to invest in this hobby start with research. In the end you’ll appreciate it much more once you understand what is going on.

I think you need to start with understanding the difference between the scanner community and making the leap over to scanning with a professional radio with transmit capabilities.

Then understanding what your radio fetures mean and keeping that separate from the system vs scan radio types. Regardless of which version if my memory serves me correctly neither have the ability to directly program from they keypad of the radio.

Then I would work on having a better understanding of how a P25 trunking system works (regardless of Phase I or II works. Especially in regards to how radios (that are being used by the appropriate agency) need to “affiliate to the P25 network” and why. And how/why your radio needs to be setup in a nonaffilate role in order to #1 and most important not cause interference to a critical public safety network where lives are on the line and #2 so the system managers do not “brick” your radio and turn it into a permanent door stop or worse yet you get fined or go to jail for allowing that to happen. There is a lot more info about nonaffiliate scanning/monitoring in the Motorola side of the forums but its easy translate those concepts over to a Harris radio.

In a nutshell if your radio affiliates to a P25 network it is transmitting even if you aren’t pushing the PTT. And you are causing interference.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
DFE or Direct Frequency Entry only works on conventional channels and only if you added "FREQ EDIT" to the menu item list. Even then, it only allows you to edit one channel and will not let you name it via the faceplate. I think that once you edit a channel, it changes the name to "CUSTOM." FPP on this radio really sucks.

Yes, your radio will work great on P25 Phase 1 systems. There is a check box for receive only and a "Never Register" check box that makes the radio never affiliate. You just have to program the rest of it properly. If you don't and it does end up affliating, then the system admin will see a radio that he doesn't recognize and will disable your radio. Once that happens, when you try to turn on the radio, it just looks like the battery is dead and no matter what you try to do, the radio will not work.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
As an individual odds are that you won't be able to purchase any version of ProGrammer, RPM, or RPM 2 that includes trunking support. Conventional only, that should be possible. But Harris is being picky about who gets to buy the trunking versions.

New London Technologies was, and maybe still is, authorized to sell the software. But the same restrictions may still apply.

The end result is that you'll have to obtain RPM by "alternative means", most of the time.

transmission

This is a question, not a fact but... when you said "In a nutshell if your radio affiliates to a P25 network it is transmitting even if you aren’t pushing the PTT. And you are causing interference.[/QUOTE]"

If this is true, wouldn't anything scanning or receiving page-outs (essentially pinging the bands) from public safety be causing public safety interference? If so the FCC wouldn't approve the engineering of said devices (scanners).

Again do some more research. It’s time consuming (I know). If you really want to invest in this hobby start with research. In the end you’ll appreciate it much more once you understand what is going on.

I think you need to start with understanding the difference between the scanner community and making the leap over to scanning with a professional radio with transmit capabilities.

Then understanding what your radio fetures mean and keeping that separate from the system vs scan radio types. Regardless of which version if my memory serves me correctly neither have the ability to directly program from they keypad of the radio.

Then I would work on having a better understanding of how a P25 trunking system works (regardless of Phase I or II works. Especially in regards to how radios (that are being used by the appropriate agency) need to “affiliate to the P25 network” and why. And how/why your radio needs to be setup in a nonaffilate role in order to #1 and most important not cause interference to a critical public safety network where lives are on the line and #2 so the system managers do not “brick” your radio and turn it into a permanent door stop or worse yet you get fined or go to jail for allowing that to happen. There is a lot more info about nonaffiliate scanning/monitoring in the Motorola side of the forums but its easy translate those concepts over to a Harris radio.

In a nutshell if your radio affiliates to a P25 network it is transmitting even if you aren’t pushing the PTT. And you are causing interference.

Jace1986

I had a lengthy post written for you but I didn't copy it and got logged out and then lost the entire post, so I am going to break it down "barney style" for you:

Read these two threads (the short one links to the long one) this might answer some questions you have and it is likely to generate more questions for you. Then ask away. It was intended for people wanting to use motorola radios but replace Motorola with Harris (in general).

https://forums.radioreference.com/m...ou-want-monitor-trunked-system-moto-read.html

https://forums.radioreference.com/m...programing-trunked-radio-monitoring-only.html

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
AFFILIATING IS TRANSMITTING. No scanner can affiliate because no scanner contains a transmitter.

That's set in stone. No exceptions.

Thus, no SCANNER interferes with system operations, nor can it interfere with system operations.

But a two way radio being used as a scanner is still a two way radio and it retains transmit capability.

A Harris radio can be programmed for true no affiliate receive only operation. To do this with a Motorola radio requires specialized programming techniques which are basically programming the radio incorrectly, but not messing it up so badly that it can't receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.