• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming M-RK

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,
I just recently filed and was approved for a GMRS license and am now looking for radio's to get. I purchased 3 GE Ericsson M-RK's (Model Number: PK1UGC) with the antenna's, batteries, and chargers for $140 on ebay. I was told they were 16 channel but are really 2 channel. All in all I guess I got a good deal on the radio's so I can't complain to much.
I have Programmer 18 and am successfully able to read the radio, the problem is when I go to program it. All I did was read the personality and change the two frequencies. There was no need in changing the names or anything because there is no display on the radio. When I go to write the personality It loads and goes to the first screen where I click okay, then gets to about 23-25% and says "Error. 12 volt not present, protocall error or radio application". Am I doing something wrong here?

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I was told they were 16 channel but are really 2 channel. All in all I guess I got a good deal on the radio's so I can't complain to much.
Will the knob only turn two positions, but is marked for 16 channels? If so, pop it up off and see if it has a stop ring under it.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Will the knob only turn two positions, but is marked for 16 channels? If so, pop it up off and see if it has a stop ring under it.

Yes, the knob will only turn 2 positions but is marked for 16. I took it off but have no idea what I'm looking at.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Yes, the knob will only turn 2 positions but is marked for 16. I took it off but have no idea what I'm looking at.

John,
Carefully (!) remove the rubber top cap on the channel knob. Then, using a 0.050" Hex Key (or a T6 Torx if you don't have the correct sized hex key), removed the channel knob plastic piece. Underneath that will be a black plastic round ring with indexing marks on it. This is the "CHANNEL KNOB STOP". Simply remove this stop and reinstall the knob and rubber top cap.

Also, keep in mind, M-RK1's are unique as they can have conventional channels, trunked talkgroups, (pre-programmed) phone calls and (pre-programmed) I-Calls all on the knob! Pay attention to your programming. I recommend that unless you absolutely have to, change the Default on the knob from SYS/GRP to simply GRP. Then, go into OPTIONS ---> M-RK KNOB OPTIONS, and hit CLEAR to zero out any incorrect programming of the SYS/GRP knob function.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
John,
Carefully (!) remove the rubber top cap on the channel knob. Then, using a 0.050" Hex Key (or a T6 Torx if you don't have the correct sized hex key), removed the channel knob plastic piece. Underneath that will be a black plastic round ring with indexing marks on it. This is the "CHANNEL KNOB STOP". Simply remove this stop and reinstall the knob and rubber top cap.

Also, keep in mind, M-RK1's are unique as they can have conventional channels, trunked talkgroups, (pre-programmed) phone calls and (pre-programmed) I-Calls all on the knob! Pay attention to your programming. I recommend that unless you absolutely have to, change the Default on the knob from SYS/GRP to simply GRP. Then, go into OPTIONS ---> M-RK KNOB OPTIONS, and hit CLEAR to zero out any incorrect programming of the SYS/GRP knob function.

I think I will try that once I figure out how to get these radio's programmed. having 16 channels wont do me a bit of good if I can't get them programmed. It would be nice to have 16 channels though

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
I think I will try that once I figure out how to get these radio's programmed. having 16 channels wont do me a bit of good if I can't get them programmed. It would be nice to have 16 channels though

BTW:

I ran a M-RK1 in my F150 for years, using it with a Enhanced Vehicular Charger with an Orion head. I had several hundred channels programmed into it, which I could access with the remote head. When removed, I simply accessed the sixteen on the knob, which was more than sufficient.

The reason I picked the M-RK1 was it is submersible.
I still carry this 20 year old portable to this day for that reason on my farm.
Slim, rugged as hell, and waterproof.

WNZT398

Hello All,
I just recently filed and was approved for a GMRS license and am now looking for radio's to get. I purchased 3 GE Ericsson M-RK's (Model Number: PK1UGC) with the antenna's, batteries, and chargers for $140 on ebay. I was told they were 16 channel but are really 2 channel. All in all I guess I got a good deal on the radio's so I can't complain to much.
I have Programmer 18 and am successfully able to read the radio, the problem is when I go to program it. All I did was read the personality and change the two frequencies. There was no need in changing the names or anything because there is no display on the radio. When I go to write the personality It loads and goes to the first screen where I click okay, then gets to about 23-25% and says "Error. 12 volt not present, protocall error or radio application". Am I doing something wrong here?

I have programmed MRK radios for years and this is a common problem resulting from bad UDC contacts. Take a look and clean the radio contacts with an electrical contact cleaner that does not damage the plastic on the cover. I normally clean this as I am ready to program and connect the programming cable to the radio with wet contacts. Works 99% of the time. If the contacts are very bad from not having a speaker mic or UDC cover in place for extended time, I have had to replace the cover. When we upgraded our radios and pulled MRK's from service, I had many new MRK-I, MRK-II Scan & MRK-II Sys covers in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.