• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola apx radios on Harris P25 phase x2 TDMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
As the title suggests, I am wondering if motorola apx series radios flashed for project 25 phase 2 tdma will work on a Harris project 25 phase 2 tdma radio system.

My locality has just awarded Harris the contract to upgrade our radio system. We have already purchased several motorola apx series radios and I'm wondering if they will work in the new system. I understand that Harris may have their own proprietary emission standard that they use and I'm wondering if that will work with motorolas even after they have been flashed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2AL

I am not 100% but I believe they will. I believe that P25 standards were built so that each radio manufacturer could produce radios that would work on any P25 system.

DisasterGuy

Yes, they will work. Certain functions that aren't explicit in the P25 standard such as Over the Air Programming will not

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
They should - that was supposed to be one of the strengths/points/purposes for P25 - so users weren't locked into a single vendor (more competition, at least in theory). If you have two adjacent counties that run mutual aid and one is a Harris system and the other is Motorola, the radios shouldn't require special patching, etc. to make them work on both system - it should more likely be as simple as switching to a different zone on the radio.

Having said that, we've seen reports of "features" being added by some vendors that are not compatible.

Bottom line, "they should" but you'll want to verify (test) to be sure.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I've got a Harris system here (albeit currently FDMA/Phase 1) which I have seen Harris, Motorola, and RELM radios working on. However, the specs in the original bid for this system stipulated very clearly that the system architecture had to be "vendor agnostic", i.e. no bells and/or whistles that were not strictly part of the P25 standard, so no Harris-specific add-ons, or Motorola-proprietary stuff if Motorola had won the bid, etc. In addition, the system admins publish a "Permitted Radio List" - they have received sample radios from manufacturers, and go through a battery of tests to confirm that the radios will function properly on the system. The aforementioned three plus JVCKenwood and Tait have made it onto that list (with possibly others, I don't have the list in front of me right now). If your system's admins do their work right, you should have both these things (a "vendor agnostic" clause so subscribers can bring their own radios to the party, and a "permitted radio" list so subscribers know what radios will work) available once it's time to start getting your radios purchased and installed.

sbk1982

Currently going live on a Phase II Harris System and Moto APX radios work fine. Also successfully configured a Kenwood as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.