RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Harris / MA/COM / GE / Ericsson Forum

Harris / MA/COM / GE / Ericsson Forum - For general discussion of MA/COM EDACS and ProVoice systems, including equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2017, 3:31 PM

Default Squelch setting

Does the squelch setting have any implication/bearing on P25 conventional channels if the signal is digital?
Sponsored links
Old 05-28-2017, 6:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the skeeters.

Scratchin' my head over this one...
Old 05-29-2017, 8:12 AM

Not really. Basically squelch on a digital channel follows an AND rule. Signal must be present AND it must match all required data constraints (system, group, and unit ID) before the radio must unmute, so I don't think that it makes much difference except that if squelch is set too tight, it can reduce effective sensitivity and receiver range.

Adjust squelch for proper operation on that frequency in analog, and when you switch to digital it'll be fine.
Old 05-30-2017, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElroyJetson View Post
so I don't think that it makes much difference except that if squelch is set too tight, it can reduce effective sensitivity and receiver range.

Adjust squelch for proper operation on that frequency in analog, and when you switch to digital it'll be fine.

I've noticed that the receiver will sometimes stay unsquelched if the squelch setting is too low on certain analog channels,but I wasn't sure if raising the squelch adjustment level much higher, to eliminate the issue, would affect the sensitivity on digital receive.