• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P/M 7200 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technoguy58

Hello all, Trying to get a little info. Do the 7200 series do CPQSK and C4FM P25 automatically or does it need to be programmed as such by site? How many channels per GROUP (ZONE in moto terminology). Also, when programming sites to roam, does each site need to be programmed separately or is just a list of all C.C.s and alternates programmed?? one more question. Do frequencies on a Harris p25 system need to be loaded in a specific order (kind of like a LCN)?? Thanks for any replies.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
I own one that is loaded but no do you have 33 and 39? To support P25 Trunking? And no LCN order or anything like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DisasterGuy

You are asking a ton of questions here and there are several variables that impact what you likely are really trying to ask. These include specifics about the system it is operating on, version of code in the radio, version of RPM, options featured in the radio, etc.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Technoguy58

OK, I'll try to clarify. If I was to program a system that is p25 and had some sites that are stand alone and a few sites that are simulcast, does that distinction need to made when programming the sites. On XTS radios, you can set whether a site is C4FM or CPQSK. By site, I am talking about a system with more than 1 site and can roam.
Also, how many channels can be loaded per group?? I'm guessing that these radios are similar to XTS5000 radios in that model 1 radios can have 48 channels (16 channels x 3 zones). The system models can have more channels but only have 16 positions on the channel selector. I'm not sure what Harris calls zones (maybe "Groups"). If I have the terminology wrong then I am sorry and I apologize.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
When programming any Harris radio to support P-25 Phase-2, you have a couple of extra items to be mindful of:

First, the radio needs to have the following three options enabled:

"12" DIGITAL VOICE
"33" P-25 Conventional
"39" P-25 Trunking (Phase-1)
"47" P-25 Trunking (Phase-2)

Then, in your IDEN table, you must define the bottom frequency for the system, as defined by the System Owner. Slot 1 is for Phase-1, slot-9 is for Phase-2.

When in doubt on the bottom frequency, I normally use the following two defaults:

800 MHz = 851.01250
700 MHz = 769.00625

Finally, over on the SYSTEM tab, there are three boxes to be concerned with:

- TDMA Capable (if it is Phase-2, this box must be checked)
- CC TX Request (if it is a Motorola system, this box must be checked)
- Linear Simulcast (if it is a simulcast system, this box must be checked)

Last edited:

kb4cvn

Silent Key
One final item, when creating a Trunked Group Set for P-25, NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES change the value in the SYSTEM ID box to any value other than ZERO.

Doing so will cause your radio to not receive any groups!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!

Last edited:

DisasterGuy

Kb4cvn, do you have back story on the cc tz request? All of our Harris radios operate on an Astro25 7.x system as well and we never checked that box.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
It has to do with MESSAGE TRUNKED group calls versus TRANSMISSION TRUNKED group calls, and the funky way most [early] Motorola P-25 trunked systems operate.

The theory was once Motorola finally decided to actually follow the Project-25 specifications, use of this parameter might finally go away. I know from over 10 years of personal experience, that every Motorola and EFJ P-25 trunked system I tried to put Harris radios on required me to enable this function.

(I was the guy the Sales Force sent to potential customer locations to work out all the programming required, prior to sales demos of Harris radios onto non-Harris P-25 systems.

I would quietly arrive about 2-3 days before the equipment demo, reverse engineer the target system, creating a 'ghost' radio to receive group calls. Then on the day of the actual demo, once given permission from the System Owner/Administrator and assigned talkgroups and USER ID's, it was a simple matter to have working radios in a few short minutes.

Motorola Schaumburg knew of me, and would offer me a job from time-to-time. I always took this as a left-handed complement! )

DisasterGuy

Thanks, I'm guessing that it hasn't come up for us since the system we operate on started as a 7.x but that is good to know going forward. I'm in the process of doing the reverse as we stand up an SR10 system deconflicting everything to get Motorola and EFJ/Kenwood terminals fully working.

TDR-94

If the the P25 system is not using Linear Simulcast operation does having the box checked create an issue?

Will having the CC TX box checked on a P25 Harris system make any difference?

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nope, no issue.

What the box does when enabled adds a bit of 'fudge factor' to the control channel timing, allowing it to function in a Simulcast environment. The actual text from the help screen on this box is:

Linear Simulcast (P25T)
This checkbox enables or disables Simulcast for P25 Trunking.

Simulcast systems will have an added delay before a control channel response is received. The radio needs to expect the added delay in the control channel processing.

gesucks

Premium Subscriber
One final item, when creating a Trunked Group Set for P-25, NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES change the value in the SYSTEM ID box to any value other than ZERO.

Doing so will cause your radio to not receive any groups!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!

Warning is incorrect. I have multiple Harris radios operating on P25 Phase 1 and 2 systems. Every single system does not have this set as zero.

DisasterGuy

Warning is incorrect. I have multiple Harris radios operating on P25 Phase 1 and 2 systems. Every single system does not have this set as zero.
I believe that this comes into play on multi region systems (intra-wacn roaming).

kb4cvn

Silent Key

&

I believe that this comes into play on multi region systems (intra-wacn roaming).

The problem arose when radios were programmed with the SYSTEM ID value in the SAME VALUE as the existing HOME SYSTEM value in the radio.

If the value was something different value as that of the Home System, there should not be an issue.

gesucks

Premium Subscriber
None of mine are on Multi WANC or Multi SYSID systems. They all have the SYSID value in that field the same as the SYSID of the system and they all work.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
None of mine are on Multi WANC or Multi SYSID systems. They all have the SYSID value in that field the same as the SYSID of the system and they all work.

Maybe Harris got around to changing the software to allow this?
Dozens of user's were "shooting themselves in the arse" with this field, by doing exactly what you are doing. By entering a value in the box, it acted as a NULL on the SYSTEM ID entered in on the P-25 System Tab.
TAC would endlessly advise not to populate this box.
TAC wrote a TSM warning people not to populate the box.

I told TAC to remove the damn check box before the P-25 User Groups filed an official complaint with APCO over it.

Who knows...

I'm retired. Not my headache any longer! :)

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Interesting. Now I'm trying to figure out why I ended up with a radio that got the Phase II option but does not have the Phase I option. You'd figure that they would not allow the Phase II option to go into a radio that doesn't have the base Phase I option which is apparently required for it to be a workable radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.