• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P5100 Lessons Learned on P-25 Trunking (Phase-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
P5100 Lessons Learned on P-25 Trunking (Phase-1).

Been working to get a P5150 (scan model) up and running for a local chap onto our new regional P-25 system as a monitor radio (aka: a scanner) after they migrated from EDACS to P-25.

Even with the right features enabled (33 & 39) the radio still did not want to play nice on P-25.

Apparently there was a firmware update to overcome some filter issues in the radio. Required was the installation of: J2R18M02 flashcode (and F8R06T03 DSP code). Once that was done, the radio got a Control Channel lock and started receiving group calls on the system. FYI everyone.

The Software Release Notes (SRN) for this revision is: MS101648V1P4, and is attached to this posting.

Last edited:

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
The most recent that I see online is J2R18H09.... where does one track this down?

From the individual [inside Harris] who sent me the firmware (J2R18M02), stated that is the final release for the P5100/P7100 series.

There is a separate firmware (J2R18Nxx) for the M7100's, which is considered the final release for that product.

I just checked on TechLink for the latest (final?) information for the discontinued P5100/P7100 series radio.

What I found was final posted revision of the SRN was:

"MS101648V1 Rev. AP, Jun/12", which covered: J2R18H09

BUT, it looks like the last actual revision occurred in "AJ" back in April 2011, with all changes to the SRN since being housekeeping and corrections of typos. (see image below)

From that, I can only assume that this "final" release was giving only to customers who had an issue, and the distribution was limited.

That is all I know at the moment on the firmware.

=============================================

BTW:
The local system (https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9074) this issue occurred on is 800 MHz. I don't know if this filter issue exists on VHF or UHF models.

Last edited:

snoopyII

Interesting- Is there a remote possibility this FW release may address (or inadvertently address) the following issue I have: 7100 series radios wont stop scanning when receiving voice traffic on a TG that is contained in a patch. This only applies to the M/P7100's I can confirm that the issues was somehow resolved in the 7200 and 7300 series.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
This came about from the way patching was built out. The firmware development for the 7100 stopped before the patching portion was completed so the functionality just isn't there. The 7200 and newer platforms use ECP/XGP that have that functionality built in and, in some cases, still being maintained. The 7100 radios simply don't know what to when they see the same call being announced on multiple talkgroups. Another symptom is the radio stopping on one group in the patch and constantly flip-flopping between the other group(s) being patched. On Motorola systems, it's almost unusable because of the way they have patching set up on some systems.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Also keep in mind that Harris handles patching differently than Motorola. My Harris P7200 does not follow/respect patched groups on a local Motorola system, whereas a Motorola works perfectly.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
My M7100 exhibits exactly the issues posted above on patched groups, however my XG-75 seems to work flawlessly on Motorola systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.