RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Harris / MA/COM / GE / Ericsson Forum

Harris / MA/COM / GE / Ericsson Forum - For general discussion of MA/COM EDACS and ProVoice systems, including equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2017, 2:34 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening world.
Exclamation P5100 Lessons Learned on P-25 Trunking (Phase-1)

P5100 Lessons Learned on P-25 Trunking (Phase-1).

Been working to get a P5150 (scan model) up and running for a local chap onto our new regional P-25 system as a monitor radio (aka: a scanner) after they migrated from EDACS to P-25.

Even with the right features enabled (33 & 39) the radio still did not want to play nice on P-25.

Apparently there was a firmware update to overcome some filter issues in the radio. Required was the installation of: J2R18M02 flashcode (and F8R06T03 DSP code). Once that was done, the radio got a Control Channel lock and started receiving group calls on the system. FYI everyone.

The Software Release Notes (SRN) for this revision is: MS101648V1P4, and is attached to this posting.

Last edited by kb4cvn; 11-18-2017 at 4:07 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 08-28-2017, 9:55 AM
Mentor
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

The most recent that I see online is J2R18H09.... where does one track this down?
Old 08-28-2017, 1:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forts View Post
The most recent that I see online is J2R18H09.... where does one track this down?
From the individual [inside Harris] who sent me the firmware (J2R18M02), stated that is the final release for the P5100/P7100 series.

There is a separate firmware (J2R18Nxx) for the M7100's, which is considered the final release for that product.

I just checked on TechLink for the latest (final?) information for the discontinued P5100/P7100 series radio.

What I found was final posted revision of the SRN was:

"MS101648V1 Rev. AP, Jun/12", which covered: J2R18H09

BUT, it looks like the last actual revision occurred in "AJ" back in April 2011, with all changes to the SRN since being housekeeping and corrections of typos. (see image below)

From that, I can only assume that this "final" release was giving only to customers who had an issue, and the distribution was limited.

That is all I know at the moment on the firmware.

=============================================

BTW:
The local system (https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9074) this issue occurred on is 800 MHz. I don't know if this filter issue exists on VHF or UHF models.

Last edited by kb4cvn; 11-18-2017 at 4:07 PM..
Old 08-28-2017, 1:35 PM
Mentor
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Thanks for the detailed info! Was just curious why I couldn't see that version online.
Old 08-30-2017, 4:06 AM

Interesting- Is there a remote possibility this FW release may address (or inadvertently address) the following issue I have: 7100 series radios wont stop scanning when receiving voice traffic on a TG that is contained in a patch. This only applies to the M/P7100's I can confirm that the issues was somehow resolved in the 7200 and 7300 series.
Sponsored links
Old 08-30-2017, 7:27 AM
Mentor
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I see that issue with my M7100 as well... It definitely doesn't like patched talkgroups.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:10 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This came about from the way patching was built out. The firmware development for the 7100 stopped before the patching portion was completed so the functionality just isn't there. The 7200 and newer platforms use ECP/XGP that have that functionality built in and, in some cases, still being maintained. The 7100 radios simply don't know what to when they see the same call being announced on multiple talkgroups. Another symptom is the radio stopping on one group in the patch and constantly flip-flopping between the other group(s) being patched. On Motorola systems, it's almost unusable because of the way they have patching set up on some systems.
Polk County, Iowa
Old 08-31-2017, 8:21 PM

Thank You! That is a great explanation as always Adam!
Old 08-31-2017, 10:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Also keep in mind that Harris handles patching differently than Motorola. My Harris P7200 does not follow/respect patched groups on a local Motorola system, whereas a Motorola works perfectly.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Mentor
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

My M7100 exhibits exactly the issues posted above on patched groups, however my XG-75 seems to work flawlessly on Motorola systems.