• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

News Item on OpenSky in Penn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
It doesn't matter what system type they choose, if it's up in the 800 MHz band in a heavily forested state, it's going to fail to perform.

They need to stay on VHF. Upgrade to a VHF P25 trunking system, but stay VHF.

Anybody who knows much of anything about RF (and that's NOT the radio system salesman!) knows
that 800 is good for urban environments but the greener things get and the more trees and hills are in the area, the lower you want your operating frequency to be. VHF is the most practical choice.

Of course, OpenSky isn't a good choice for public safety use anyway. But the big issue is more the BAND, rather than the system type.

princessthelus

Premium Subscriber
Let's also mention that OpenSky is not CAI and thus not as inoperable with smaller towns running, say, NXDN.

Last edited:

gesucks

Let's also mention that OpenSky is not CAI and thus not as inoperable with smaller towns running, say, NXDN.
Useless statement.

NXDN CAI is not interoperable with DMR CAI, and not interoperable with P25 CAI

There is no need to be in only VHF or 800. A P25 radio system is blind to the band. With today's multiband radios it does not matter. With either a APX8000/8500 or an XL200/XG100M, the system could be 800 in some areas, VHF others, UHF others and any combination of them and the user would never know the difference.

talviar

After sinking $810 million into failed radio system, senators look for guarantee new system will work

Here is an interesting concept- You do realize that the $810 million-- included purchasing and installing new towers, purchasing and installing tower shelters, backup generators, Microwave radio network, the radio system infrastructure --AND-- the staff that were working in OPRS?

So $810 million for the amount of infrastructure that was added and will be reused for the new P25 system was a sound and wise investment.

Its not $810 million flushed down the toilet.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
While multiband radios are available today, they are still quite expensive. Many departments can not afford a multi-band system for that reason. Plus, the RF systems at the sites require band-specific equipment in every instance, which multiplies site costs.

It's possible to build out a seamless multi-site, all-band system covering VHF, UHF, and 700/800 MHz, but I would certainly rather be receiving the check for that system than writing it!

mule1075

Feed Provider
Here is an interesting concept- You do realize that the $810 million-- included purchasing and installing new towers, purchasing and installing tower shelters, backup generators, Microwave radio network, the radio system infrastructure --AND-- the staff that were working in OPRS?

So $810 million for the amount of infrastructure that was added and will be reused for the new P25 system was a sound and wise investment.

Its not $810 million flushed down the toilet.
Thanks Tony for a voice of reason in this thread.How is everything in the wilds of Fayette County?

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
True, the facilities can be reused. As for the radio system, just unbolt anything that says OpenSky on it and chuck it into triwall boxes heading to auction or better yet materials recycling. Then call Motorola and have them bring in a P25 VHF system.

talviar

Thanks Tony for a voice of reason in this thread.How is everything in the wilds of Fayette County?

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

I'll expand that in my answer-

Things in Fayette are terrific. . . .

Things in/with ICORRS are terrific from a end user (person hitting PTT on radio) perspective. A little chaotic on the back end for those of us managing it. . . . To anyone out there with an ASTRO25 Trunking system- Be wary when Motorola tells you iUEM is better than MOSCAD in 7.17

Status
Not open for further replies.