• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

M7100 / Orion Downgrade / Programming issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few months ago I started to try this radio and couldn't get very far. Well I may have toasted it. I followed the steps to downgrade the firmware (I think but like it said it was a few months ago).

Currently the radio has a blank screen when I power it up.
When progamming cable is attached it shows PC Prog
When I try to create system and upload it via Programmer I get "Invalid Radio ID"
Model of radio is read of the sticker -- D2UMG7.

Where do I go from here? Is the radio hosed?

So to update - Trying to install the firmware.

Using file R0P08B05.BIN
Hit recovery in radio maintenance and I've selected file: 0G30400.BIZ
Program asks me for erase tracking data.. I hit yes
I then select tracking data file M7100 UHF-H.Trk
Tracking data has different version from version loaded, continue? I hit yes
Asks for encryption data file. This I do not have. I can only hit cancel. How do I get this file?

It never asks for a DSP file either, is that weird?

Thanks again in advance!

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
You should not have deleted the tracking data. Now the radio will need to be aligned. The Feature Encryption is what tells the radio what features are installed. If you don't have that, then the radio won't have any features. To do a roll-back, you pretty much need to have access to the version of RPM that it was programmed with to extract all of the data. Without that, you are stuck with a featureless radio. You can try to call TAC to see if they will help you with the last feature encryption file, but I doubt they'll help unless you have an account.

Yikes. The radio was cheap on ebay.... Like $20 cheap so if it doesn't work im' not out a super amount a money. When you say features, all i care about a tx and rx. Is that a feature?

Greg,
What exactly are you trying to downgrade in the radio?
Are you trying to revert it from windows programming software (Radio Programmer) to the original DOS software?

It was not being read by Programmer so I think it was programmed with RPM. I just want to get a few channels on here.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
It was not being read by Programmer so I think it was programmed with RPM. I just want to get a few channels on here.

The Orion is not supported by RPM. Only the original DOS software (EDACS3 and CONV1) and Radio Programmer.

Can you provide a photo of the model number label of the radio? A D2UMG7 is an Orion. You might be able to recover it. But it will take a good bit of work on your part with a computer...

One last update - I got things to work;

I spent the day off trying over and over - I looked at the comment that this is not m7100.. So I started loading and trying every .trk file until I got one to work. Well it happened to work. Then I was able to get Programming to load a system into the radio.

I'm just using it for ham stuff. It appears to hit my local repeaters.

Thank you thank you thank you everyone!!!

I'm sure I'm going to have more questions in the future.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
You may be able to give Harris TAC a call to see if they will tell you what features are suppose to be in the radio. If you are lucky, they'll give you the feature string. Right now, you have a bare-bones radio. Depending on what features the radio had in it before it got erased, you could have a nice radio.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Don't forget, as a default function (unless you intentionally disable it!), every radio connect to, and communicate with has its feature and tracking data automatically archived. Look in the BACKUP folder, filed under the radio's ESN number.

You might already have the two files you need...

Status
Not open for further replies.