• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P7200 to listen to P25 system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4KVE

Many of the local gov’t agencies are leaving their analog 800 systems, & going to P25 700/800 systems. While I’ve used MTS2000’s, & XTS3000’s to listen to them for years, they wont work soon. The new Motorola radios must affiliate with the system, although there is a way to trick the radios to not affiliate. While I’m not comfortsble with that, I’m told Harris rsdios can turn off auto affiliate in the CPS. The problem is all the 7200’s I see for sale are old Edacs, or Open Sky radios, not P25. The option code needed when the options are displayed is 39. None seem to have that. When an option upgrade is needed for a Motorola, it just means sending the radio somewhere, & the radio comes back with the required features. But from what i hear, it’s not that easy for a Harris rafio. Or is it? I have no interest in a scanner, as they seem to have weak receive audio, snd a poor front end. Anyone have any tips to get a Harris radio to do what i need. Please, no radio police, & no mention of the word scanner.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
They do show up on eBay from time to time. Some sellers are shady in their listing tactics...listing options the radio capable of, not actually equipped.
As long as you use RPM10 or earlier, most systems do not need a key, and setting it to not affiliate (not register) is very easy. But adding 39 will cost $$$ at a Harris dealer. No shipping it off to someone to “hit it with depot”. The options are encrypted by Harris to the radio ESN. Plus RPM is licensed to the computer, so you can’t just download it.

Another option is a Unication. Not a Motorola or Harris, but far better than a scanner and no programming tricks needed.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
P7100's work just as well, provided you don't need 700mhz (it's 800 only). P7200/7300 etc are 7/800mhz capable. I've seen lots of 7100's on eBay (with trunking) at decent prices. Also be prepared to spend $100 on a programming cable (there aren't many places to source them from so they are pricey).

All that aside, they do work very well. I have an M7100 in my vehicle and an XG75 portable and they work great. I've previously had P7100s and 7200s as well and they work very well (they are a solid brick of a radio... about the size of an XTS5000, give or take).

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Oh, and be wary of other features in the radio too, such as the number of trunked personalities that it supports. Some are very crippled in that department (I had a 7100 that would only support 128 talkgroups across all systems... which sucked). Unlocking it to 65k cost me about $150 if I recall.

N4KVE

39 is the feature I need. There is plenty of 700 here, so I’m thinking 7200, or 7300. I still have 3-4 months before the analog system is gone. The other alternative is the NAS using my 2500. Doing that I don’t need to buy anything. Just find someone smarter than me to program it.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
+1 for the Unication G4/G5 units. Another option is the BK KNG-P800 or KNG2-P800. I have the KNG2 and its a great radio and the software is designed to be used as RX only straight from the factory.

gesucks

Premium Subscriber
I would get a BK KNG before I would get a P7200 or 7300. I have had XTS APX XG100 P7100 M7300 and KNG. For monitor only, the KNG is the easiest to program and use. It receives great and get firmware updates unlike the P7x00 radios

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Also be prepared to spend $100 on a programming cable (there aren't many places to source them from so they are pricey).

Some of you may or may not be aware of this little tid-bit...

The original (1990's-early 2000's vintage) M-RK programming cable (TQ-3368 or PN# RPM 113 2472/3 with the square rubber over-molded UDC connector, which used the TQ-3370 Programming Interface box will program the following radios:

• M-RK
  • LPE-50
  • LPE-200
  • J700p
  • P5100
  • P5200
  • P7100
  • P7200

It was in the mid-2000's when they switched from the generic over-molded UDC connector to radio specific connectors did things get complicated.

Last edited:

Syncopations

Hears voices in my head.
Premium Subscriber
Some of you may or may not be aware of this little tid-bit...

The original (1990's-early 2000's vintage) M-RK programming cable (TQ-3368 or PN# RPM 113 2472/3 with the square rubber over-molded UDC connector, which used the TQ-3370 Programming Interface box will program the following radios:

• M-RK
  • LPE-50
  • LPE-200
  • J700p
  • P5100
  • P5200
  • P7100
  • P7200

It was in the mid-2000's when they switched from the generic over-molded UDC connector to radio specific connectors did things get complicated.

Yeah, I've been able to program the LPE 200, Jaguar 700p, P5100, P7100 and P7200 using the exact same cable. Cables are about $100. Software on the other hand....good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.