• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

M7100 Ignition Sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,
I am installing a VHF P25 M7100 in my crown vic. I have it all connected and it is working fine, except it will not turn off. I have the yellow wire from the control head fused and connected to a charge guard that shuts off after 10 seconds, however the radio is still not shutting off. I also tried turning the volume knob all the way to the left, the radio reads "Vol=Off" but the radio does not power down. I remember reading a thread a while back about a dip switch, but can not find it. Is this something I can fix in Programmer or by a dip switch?

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
It took me forever to find the little switch, but I got it. it's working perfectly now.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
M7100 Ignition Sense Voltage Spike Issue & Fix

[FONT=&quot]I STRONGLY suggest putting a noise filter in the ignition sense (yellow) wire on any M7100 radio. Back in the mid-2000's there was an issue with the M7100's with a short NEGATIVE voltage spike (>100 V) occurred in some vehicles, when the vehicle was started, destroying the MOSFET ignition sense device in the M7100's. The usual symptom observed by the user is the radio will not turn-off.
[/FONT] See Image.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]BACKGROUND:
[FONT=&quot]In the Orion radios, this switching function was handled by an [analog] relay (K601), which was "upgraded" to a solid-state device in the M7100's. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]First observed in February 2008, the spike was only detectable on a storage Oscilloscope. Too fast for the VOM, DVM, VTVM to detect. The preventative fix was to place an inexpensive 5 Amp (or less) DC Noise Filter in the [Yellow Wire] Ignition Sense circuit. This recommendation was implemented in the M7100’s Installation Manual [MM102342V1], and an extract of this page is attached below as a PDF.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]For radios already damaged, replacement of the Mosfet is the only remedy.[/FONT]

Attachments

• NEGATIVE IGNITION VOLTAGE SPIKE.jpg
    NEGATIVE IGNITION VOLTAGE SPIKE.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Ignition Sense Voltage Spike Issue - extract.pdf
    310.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
[FONT=&quot]I STRONGLY suggest putting a noise filter in the ignition sense (yellow) wire on any M7100 radio. Back in the mid-2000's there was an issue with the M7100's with a short NEGATIVE voltage spike (>100 V) occurred in some vehicles, when the vehicle was started, destroying the MOSFET ignition sense device in the M7100's. The usual symptom observed by the user is the radio will not turn-off.
[/FONT] See Image.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]BACKGROUND:
[FONT=&quot]In the Orion radios, this switching function was handled by an [analog] relay (K601), which was "upgraded" to a solid-state device in the M7100's. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]First observed in February 2008, the spike was only detectable on a storage Oscilloscope. Too fast for the VOM, DVM, VTVM to detect. The preventative fix was to place an inexpensive 5 Amp (or less) DC Noise Filter in the [Yellow Wire] Ignition Sense circuit. This recommendation was implemented in the M7100’s Installation Manual [MM102342V1], and an extract of this page is attached below as a PDF.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]For radios already damaged, replacement of the Mosfet is the only remedy.[/FONT]

I think it maybe too late for mine... I have the yellow wire fused (3Amp) and ran to a charge guard, Which does turn on and off properly when the charge guard shuts off, but it will not shut off when I turn the volume knob to the off position. It still just shows "VOL=OFF".

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Ignition Sense Lead Fuse Rating

OH, one other tid-bit....

The manuals and parts list for the Orion, J725m and M7100 have always had an error.

The IGNITION SENSE FUSE is listed as a 3.0 Amp item. This is a typo. It should read 0.3 Amp.

I brought it to the attention of the Product Manager one day. He refused to 'fix' it, as he "did not want to spend the money to revise everything" !!! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.