Hawai'i County Radio System Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
Just stumbled across this, good to see. However, what are the chances this upgrade actually happens? In my opinion, I don't see it ever happening. Due to the topography of the island, I'm sure there will need to be a lot of new sites added. And then the inevitable resistance they will run into once construction at the sites attempts to begin.

scan18

Premium Subscriber

Sybex7254

Yes there have been previous posts discussing Hawaii County's new proposed TRS. But since I've seen no reports of a new TRS being stood up on The Big Island in the Database...I'll believe it when it finally happens...which will be in Hawaiian time.

Maui's P25 TRS is up and running for some time now, but no one has migrated last I checked. The only P25 (Phase I) TRS you will receive currently on the Big Island is the Pohakulia Training Area up on Saddle Road. Everything else on the BI is still analog. At least from what I can hear in the Waikoloa area...YMMV!

scan18

Premium Subscriber
Yes there have been previous posts discussing Hawaii County's new proposed TRS. But since I've seen no reports of a new TRS being stood up on The Big Island in the Database...I'll believe it when it finally happens...which will be in Hawaiian time.

Maui's P25 TRS is up and running for some time now, but no one has migrated last I checked. The only P25 (Phase I) TRS you will receive currently on the Big Island is the Pohakulia Training Area up on Saddle Road. Everything else on the BI is still analog. At least from what I can hear in the Waikoloa area...YMMV!

Understood, thanks. My main concern was whether the Big Island TRS will be Phase I or Phase II. I hadn't seen any previous discussions on which one it definitely will be, but I may have missed it. Based on that document I found, looks like it probably will be Phase II.

I am able to receive the HIRIN (Phase I) system from my location on my Pro652, but not much activity. Just a few test transmissions.

ccs247

Premium Subscriber
Hawaii County Civil Defense has several new licenses for a VHF, Phase II, Astro, Linear Simulcast system. So far none of the frequencies have been active in the Hilo area.

Sybex7254

Understood, thanks. My main concern was whether the Big Island TRS will be Phase I or Phase II. I hadn't seen any previous discussions on which one it definitely will be, but I may have missed it. Based on that document I found, looks like it probably will be Phase II.

I am able to receive the HIRIN (Phase I) system from my location on my Pro652, but not much activity. Just a few test transmissions.

Well using Maui as a gauge...it's supposed to take 3 years to migrate (by end of 2016). If that's the case I think you'll have a few years before Hawaii County gets their act together on this. Who knows what kind of resistance they may run into as well when it comes to putting up the new antenna towers. They stopped the building of the new telescope.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
Well using Maui as a gauge...it's supposed to take 3 years to migrate (by end of 2016). If that's the case I think you'll have a few years before Hawaii County gets their act together on this. Who knows what kind of resistance they may run into as well when it comes to putting up the new antenna towers. They stopped the building of the new telescope.

Yes, true...

Just curious, how do you like your BCD436HP and BCD536HP? I'm thinking I may go for one of those at some point.

Sybex7254

Both work great here on the Mainland. Where I am in NJ there a good mixture of P25 TRS' and Analog systems and since there's an increasing amount of Phase II popping up here, I decided to sell some of my old gear and upgrade.

I haven't brought the 436 with me to the Big Island yet and keep my 996 there but am anxious to try and see what if anything I may pick up from Maui's new system. There was a report from a few months ago of a vacationer picking up Phase II transmissions which would explain why I never hear anything on my 996.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
I noticed they've put up new antennas on the microwave link towers near the Kamuela and Honoka'a police stations. I wonder if we are getting close?

scan18

Premium Subscriber
I see the Hawaii County Public Safety System has been added to the RR database with a couple of VHF sites. Is the whole system going to be Phase II VHF I wonder? Or maybe these sites are only for the Civil Defense system mentioned previously.

northzone

Premium Subscriber
Whole system is vhf phase 2. All 16 sites are in. Users have been issued new mobiles and portables. Still on old system at this time. I am on the Big Island right now. Meet with hawai county police yesterday. All 16 sites are in fcc database.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
Whole system is vhf phase 2. All 16 sites are in. Users have been issued new mobiles and portables. Still on old system at this time. I am on the Big Island right now. Meet with hawai county police yesterday. All 16 sites are in fcc database.

Sounds good, thanks for the info. No active frequencies yet in the Hamakua area. I may take a trip to Hilo this weekend and see if either of the control channels are active yet.

Sybex7254

Wow...happened a lot faster than I expected. Guess I'm bringing my BCD436HP with me when I go back in April!

scan18

Premium Subscriber
I drove to Hilo today and was able to lock on the control channels for both the Pepeekeo and Hilo sites with my Pro-668.

Fireboat03

Pepsima1 Duplicate Account
Banned
I am not receiving any VHF high band frequencies in Kona and Waikoloa area. Not sure if this new Phase II system will cover the whole island. No control frequencies found as of today. Maybe they will start with the Hilo area and then build out as needed. Not sure.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
Only two sites appear to be active, they are both in the Hilo area. From my understanding, there will be 16 sites total. Although by "active", I mean the control channel is active. Not sure if they are doing any testing at all, unfortunately I am too far away to monitor them from home.

I've been scanning the Hamakua frequencies found in the FCC databases for the past couple of weeks, but no control channel activity yet.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
Wow...happened a lot faster than I expected. Guess I'm bringing my BCD436HP with me when I go back in April!

Well April is here, and nothing much going on in my area. Not sure if there has been any testing going on that you will be able to pick up in the South Kohala area.

For a brief moment last month, one of the Honokaa site frequencies was active and I was able to fire up Unitrunker and see a little bit of data activity. Then it went silent and nothing since.

I'm hoping to get down to the Hilo area again soon to see if there has been any testing on the two active sites (Hilo and Pepeekeo).

ccs247

Premium Subscriber
Testing on the Hilo site is occurring at night after 10 PM. Seeing a few radio IDs, but no voice.

Attachments

• VHF Trunked P25 Phase 2.pdf
    212.5 KB · Views: 441
  • Phase II Sites.pdf
    258.3 KB · Views: 352
Status
Not open for further replies.