C&C Metro Simulcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbh

I'm fairly new to radios and recently started scanning Honolulu 800 MHz system. Specifically I'm using the RRDB on my Uniden BCD436HP to hold on HPD District 5 while scanning physically in Kalihi. A few questions...I'd imagine all of my questions are related to one answer.

I see traffic from Sand Island and Metro. Is there a default site (nearest to portable, least traffic, etc.) that radio traffic is passed through?

I understand that I can hold on the Metro site to listen to transmissions from any of the other districts. Is there a reason why I should be scanning the other sites nearest me and not just on Metro?

troymail

Silent Key
I don't know the Honolulu system specifically (been a while since I've made that trip but hoping soon!). However, in general, you could potentially hear different traffic/talkgroups on different sites.

Usually, units and the talkgroup they are on will "affiliate" with the best site for their location. Generally, a talkgroup will be active on any site where (a) a radio is affiliated with that site and (b) that radio is switched to that specific talkgroup. If no radio is on that talkgroup on that site, you may not hear that talkgroup (with some exceptions).

There will always be some overlap of traffic between sites but some talkgroups could be "transient" as a unit drifts into a site's footprint and then leaves.

Every system is different but if you have decent reception of more than one site, you might want to monitor them. However, the monitoring of additional sites could also impact overall performance.

newbh

I don't know the Honolulu system specifically (been a while since I've made that trip but hoping soon!). However, in general, you could potentially hear different traffic/talkgroups on different sites.

Usually, units and the talkgroup they are on will "affiliate" with the best site for their location. Generally, a talkgroup will be active on any site where (a) a radio is affiliated with that site and (b) that radio is switched to that specific talkgroup. If no radio is on that talkgroup on that site, you may not hear that talkgroup (with some exceptions).

There will always be some overlap of traffic between sites but some talkgroups could be "transient" as a unit drifts into a site's footprint and then leaves.

Every system is different but if you have decent reception of more than one site, you might want to monitor them. However, the monitoring of additional sites could also impact overall performance.

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.