help w/ picking radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfflunki

i need a new radio my g3 stinks
ineed a compact portable that can handle medium sized box loop
i sold my g3 and am gonna sell my 750 i already sold my palstar and my csw is currently broken
all the radios i have sold were good radios i just want to simplify things
i would like to know what everyone thought about the pl660 or 909atsx those are the ones i have
my eye on so what does everyone think do either of these compare to th g5 that was the last compact portable i had worth its weight so thanks
73, best regards
dan

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I would start by digging through some of the reviews you will find linked here...

Category:Receiver Reviews - The RadioReference Wiki

However, there's another question here; this box loop you mentioned. What happened when you used it with your G3? There's very little detail about that here.

I'm sure we've got more than a few MW DXers here that have made box loops...Mike

hfflunki

the loop i made can get from900khz thru tropical band when i used it for mw on g3 it worked good
but when i switched over to sw it got mw station bleed through so i dont realy know what radio that i can mwdx with as well as swl without haveing to keep pluging and unpluging my loop
it is 1.5ft x 1.5 feet with 7 turns at 1/8 inch space

thanks dan

Boombox

From what you've said here, it seems your problem may be your antenna set up more than the radio.

I've heard mostly good things about the radios you've mentioned.

Even a good receiver will overload from MW RF.

Maybe you should keep your present radios and make some changes to your loop, or get a separate SW antenna, like an active SW whip antenna.

hfflunki

well the comm reciver / palstar worked great with this loop and so did the 750 the problem is i needed money so i sold those two and kept the g3 the antenna i built is high gain so your right rf might be the issue
igues ill just have to tuck money away for somthing thats not a portable and yes i regret selling the palstar but when your broke and have a radio worth $500 you gotta do what you gota do
thanks
dan

gpsblake

The PL-660 is a great radio for Shortwave. I use it to decode digital signals like JT-65, RTTY, and PSK31 all the time as well as international broadcasters (the few who remain). It is so-so on AM but plays nice with a loop antenna like the AN-200

majoco

Stirrer
If your loop is tuned for the BC band, then it's no good for the shortwave bands. If you leave the loop tuned to a local BC band station, then it will overload the antenna circuits of your radio and give you the cross-modulation (aka "Bleed-through") that you describe when you want to listen to the SW bands. Most modern radio's perform really well on the attached whip antenna - the RF stages are "tuned" to work with this antenna. Some of them will disconnect the RF amplifier if you plug in an external antenna to reduce the chances of front-end overload.

Status
Not open for further replies.