Tecsun PL-310

Status
Not open for further replies.

alok

I purchased this radio about 1 1/2 years ago,since having it the AM section is awful,not sensitive,the FM is great.

The SW bands ,sensitivity is OK.

I have had smaller radios ,with smaller built in antennas then the PL-310 ,that have a better AM section ,the PL-310 is bad,at least mind is.

Any ideas on making this radio work better ,to be more sensitive on AM using the built in antenna.

I know it uses Silicon Labs DSP si4734, I also have a Silicon Lab demo board using the DSP si4734 and it to has a great FM section but bad AM section.

Is the problem here the DSP si4734 ?

Al

Last edited:

Boombox

I've read a couple positive reviews of radios using the same chip. Here's one -- the chip is apparently also used in the Tecsun PL-380. The guy says the radio's MW performance was o.k., with some drawbacks.:

RADIO-TIMETRAVELLER: Review Of The Tecsun PL-380 DSP Receiver

Maybe try an external loop? Like the Terk loop, or one of the other brands. Or you could make your own.

Almost all small radios -- no matter how good they are -- will have improved MW performance with a tuned, external loop set near them. I have a Sony SRF-59, which is a terrific ultralight radio (no DSP chip, though...), and a Select-A-Tenna turns it into an even better DX machine on the AM band.

Status
Not open for further replies.