ACTIVE! STORM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgescan

-and as a result, I cannot even hear WWV in the daytime here:mad: however, the single most copyable broacaster almost 24/7 is R. Australia. I don't know what or how they do it but they're always well heard here in SFO. I would LOVE to go there on a vacation and get a tour of their Shepparton facilities. I'd wear the camera out:)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I scored an old HRO-60 receiver with a bunch of coil drawers from a recycle bin. I gave it to a co-worker who repairs old radios for him to play with. This morning, he was telling me, he started bringing it back to life using a variable transformer. He was able to hear Radio Australia on it no problem. Pretty good for a radio that probably hasn't see power in 30+ years. We are down in Watsonville, about 100 miles south of you and Radio Australia comes booming in here also. As for WWV, one of the risks of living in the big city is all the noise.

ridgescan

th

what a neat receiver that HRO-60^

Yes I do have to fight RFI up here but I have a good handle on it-my antenna system is well-grounded and when there isn't a basic blackout across the bands in my daytime due to the current geomagnetic storm, I usually can score daytime DX from Africa and the middle east. Waiting for the "storm" to pass so I can get my VOA day catch back.
BTW when ya get it back I for one wouldn't mind seeing that HRO beauty in action:)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Ah, yeah, the HRO60.... That guy had been watching that radio sitting in a store room for about 10 years collecting dust. He kept trying to get someone to surplus it so he could buy it. That day I saw it dumped in the e-waste bin was just pure luck. I couldn't hang onto that radio knowing he'd been wanting it so bad. When he was a kid, he wanted one of those really bad, but could never afford it. He's got 20 acres up in the Sierra foothills in a very rural area, so he's got the antenna to do it justice. I think I damn near made him cry when I showed him what I had in the back of the truck. Best part is that it's all original and all the coil drawers have serial numbers that match the receiver itself. He's got a bunch of old transoceanics that he's rebuilt also, an old AM broadcast transmitter that he's retuned to work on 160 meters and a bunch of other cool stuff. He's always offering me old radios, but I just don't have the time or space to do it right. Some day......

I do have an AOR-2300 receiver sitting on one of the higher rooftops at work with the IP interface that lets me use it remotely. I was trying to use it today on some low frequency stuff, but wasn't having any luck. I didn't even think about a solar storm being the issue, but now it sort of makes sense. The PD and Fire repeaters up there will overload the front end, but this was continuous. There are some variable frequency motor drives on the far end of the roof for HVAC systems, and I can usually hear the static when one of them kicks on, but this wasn't it. I'll have to try again once things have cleared up. With an end fed wire antenna, and connected to the building ground, I can do pretty good. Not an RF quiet site by any stretch of the imagination, but it's up about 1000 feet above Monterey bay and I can pull in some pretty good stuff on it. Of course it's purely for, ah, testing use, yeah that's it, testing, and not a toy for me to play with after hours.......

ridgescan

Oh ok I thought the guy was refubishing it for you. Nice thing you did for him:)
BTW today the bands are very nice. Everything back to normal, even getting Radio Riyadh on 15435.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So, while we are talking....

Any ideas on a good portable SW/LW radio that won't break the bank? I do a fair amount of camping in remote areas, and always wanted something portable I could take along, say with a ground rod and a few hundred feet of wire. I used to have one of the Radio Shack DX-440's (I think it was a Sangean model) and I was pretty happy with it. Kicking myself for selling it. I've been looking at them on e-bay, but not sure what else is out there.
Any ideas?

ridgescan

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
Best to start a thread on that buddy-I personally couldn't give ya a good steer as I'm in a world of working vintage comm rigs and portables that I've yet to venture out of.
If you look at eham.net, they have a ton of reviews from hams who get portables to run with. I've seen this one at my Radio Shack on the shelf and in person it looks like fun
Grundig GS450DL : Phones & Radio Communications | RadioShack.com

reviews-
Grudig 450 DLX Field Radio Product Reviews

I have had the radio. Not great on MW and forget the adapter. Exceptionable on batteries but I ended up taking it back, just wasn't worth pouring the juice into.

For portable use I would recommend the CommRadio CR-1. Not a portable price but also is not in the league of a portable. This is a proper small desktop that takes batteries. Hangs with my R75 with the nice bonus of field operation built in.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks, looks like an interesting radio.

I'm looking for something that will do LW, and that only goes down to 500kc, though. It's just downright amazing how small they are getting.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
My LW reception is still hosed up pretty bad. I went up to the site yesterday and noticed that Verizon had mounted their new 700MHz LTE antennas within about 3 feet of the antenna. I'm going to need to move the wire antenna. We've had a lot of issues with the LTE gear causing interference to various systems.

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, looks like an interesting radio.

I'm looking for something that will do LW, and that only goes down to 500kc, though. It's just downright amazing how small they are getting.

The CR-1 is a really nice rig in a small package.

My CR-1 goes down to 150kc. I don't know how usable it will be down there (not my area of interest). Great radio.

Another radio that I really like is the Kaito 1103. I have that rig as well and it is great. But I would most certainly take the CR-1 way before the Kaito.

Status
Not open for further replies.