Best SSB/USB/LSB receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
This is like asking which car is best... You might want to add a bit more information in your ask...

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking to see what everyone elsze uses and how they like it. Im trying to find a replacement but want to hear from the users directly instead of reviews on the sites for the sellers.

SpectreOZ

I upgraded to the wadley loop design of the DX300 and compared to what I had used before it is awesome... this will of course change the minute I get my hands on an Icom, Kenwood OR Alinco SW receiver, however if I were to spend that kind of cash I may as well get my ham ticket and enjoy a HF transceiver with wideband RX :D

ab3a

I use an old Icom R-70 with filter and FM board upgrades. On SSB it is still a pretty good receiver after all these years.

The portable I take when I go camping in the mountains is a beat up old YB-400. Listening to SW broadcast stations, it's about as good as an envelope detector gets. The audio section is very nice. It also has a very sensitive FM BC receiver, and reasonable AM and LW reception. For the money I paid for it, it was hard to beat. Only problem: it will last only 30 hours on a set of six AA batteries.

For mobile listening (and transmitting), I have a Kenwood TS-50.

As a married man with kids, I have many expenses which have precluded me from buying anything new. My next radio will probably be SDR...

NE1C4NSC4N

Premium Subscriber
For 20-50$ you could get yourself a USB dongle (RTL SDR) with an up-converter for HF.. plus with that you can listen to everything up to 2Ghz I believe is the limit..depending on the model you buy.

NooElec - NooElec TV28T v2 DVB-T USB Stick (R820T) w/ Antenna and Remote Control - SDR Receivers - Software Defined Radio

Can't really beat that price.. and you can do so much with these units.. most of the software for it is free as well.

Edit: If your really set on a stand alone Rx'er, than you could consider a Grundig Satellit 750.. since I heard RS just dropped the price below 300$.. I have had mine for a few years now, with no problems, and it works quite well with the proper antenna/setup. It's no ICOM, but it gets the job done.

Last edited:

prcguy

Why would a post requesting recommendations on "the best SSB/USB/LSB receiver" include an R70 or a $25 USB dongle radio??? I would expect high end receivers from Harris, R&S, Racal, Cublc and similar. Having owned many high end receivers my opinion is the Elecraft K3 has a superior receiver over my Harris RF-590 or Cubic HF-1030 or Racal or any other receiver I have used to date. There probably is something better but its not made it to my shack yet.
prcguy

SCPD

QRT
Why would a post requesting recommendations on "the best SSB/USB/LSB receiver" include an R70 or a $25 USB dongle radio??? I would expect high end receivers from Harris, R&S, Racal, Cublc and similar. Having owned many high end receivers my opinion is the Elecraft K3 has a superior receiver over my Harris RF-590 or Cubic HF-1030 or Racal or any other receiver I have used to date. There probably is something better but its not made it to my shack yet.
prcguy

Blame the OP... he never clarified what information he was after...

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
I went with the RadioShack® Synthesized World Receiver and love it.

Fast1eddie

Best Receivers

Radio-it's all good! A very subjective question with many subjective answers in return. I have been involved with RF as a hobbyist, communications technician, amateur radio and will tell you there is not one good radio for everything!

Certainly the high end wideband boxes are sweet, and have owned several AOR products.

For now, I am using a Icom R71a (Recently serviced professionally) with a Icom R7100, AOR 8200, Yaesu VR 500 and a Alinco DJ-V5.

Now divorced and living in a second floor apartment with exterior antenna restrictions. Installing my antennas above the tile drop ceiling. No metal siding, just brick. My building was built in 1903, solid but simple construction.

I personally prefer a simple but effective station using older 70's-80'` equipment.

If money were no object, I would latch on to a R 390.

Good Signals,

ed

Boombox

I mainly use older digital readout portables, my mainstay being the Realistic DX-390, as it's easy to use, and has pretty good performance (mine doesn't overload much because I live in a low signal environment). I also use my DX-398 a lot if I'm concentrating on listening to the ham bands, as it's got great SSB on it.

I think any radio you enjoy using, you know really well, and that has decent performance is a 'great radio'. A lot of what you're going to hear depends on propagation and your antenna, anyway....

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
I was just looking for opinions and reviews on what everywone had. I went with the one that people pm'd me about and found it to be the best choice for my budget.

Boombox

In an earlier post in the thread I think Tominbelfast mentioned he went with the Radio Shack PLL World Receiver (catalog # 20-629).

It's a decent portable digital SW radio with BFO. I have one, and I like it o.k.. Better on AM (for SW broadcast) than SSB, but o.k. for casual SSB listening (AGC pumps a bit on SSB). Good selectivity on MW.

I use mine mainly for tuning the SW broadcast bands, and also to bandscan, because it's quick tuning and sounds like tuning an analog receiver.

I also have logged some new MW stations with it, using a loop. I don't know what sort of AM filter it has, but it has pretty narrow skirts that reduce splatter very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.