RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > HF / MW / LW Monitoring > HF/MW/LW Equipment

HF/MW/LW Equipment - For general and technical discussion of all receivers which cover the HF bands. For HF tranceiver discussion please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum above.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2017, 12:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have had the Rat Shack labeled DX-398 which is the same radio as the Sangean ATS-909 for over ten years and it has never locked up on me. It is sensitive and for MW-DX it's also very good. I also bought an external loop antenna for it and I have used it via proximity method as well as plugging it in to the ANT socket.
Old 07-16-2017, 6:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt21 View Post
I realize that I'm dusting the cobwebs off this thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has purchased a 909X recently, as in 2017. I've read a lot of reviews on Amazon complaining that Sangean has been turning out a lot of junk units with bad firmware. I'm torn between this model and the Tecsun PL-880, and I favor the 909X because of the alpha-numeric capability, but don't want to end up with a unit that stops working after just a limited amount of use.

Anybody have any input? TIA
Mine is about 2 years old and gets limited use unless I'm travelling or the local weather is an issue. It's been a good, solid receiver for me. I own three portables as listed below and use them equally. I would have no issue recommending one to anyone. A year ago last spring I wrote the following.

"While the storms rolled through, I conducted a small experiment with my Sangean ATS-909X and my Tecsun PL-660. Whip antennas only and fresh batteries in both. Tuning from 5000kHz to 16000kHz, I found: No signal could be found on one that the other could not tune. While on the same signal with deep fades, one might keep signal when the other lost it. Neither radio was better or worse than the other with this. The only true difference I observed was in the display of the signal strength as the Tecsun always showed a stronger signal being received that the Sangean."

For what it is worth.

--
Mike
Old 07-17-2017, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA8ZTZ View Post
Took a long look at this radio but did not buy it. Could not find published specs on sensitivity or bandwidth. Also, lacks provision for external antenna on LW, AM, FM.
The 909X schematic shows what looks like a clear connection to FM, and it appears it may be connected to the MW circuit also (not 100% sure, and not sure about longwave, the way they made the schematic the MW/LW loop(s) aren't IDed specifically -- MW loop looks like the T50? at the lower left of the schematic, the one with the FET wired to it).

Here's a link to the schematic (it's on some guy's Google BlogSpot blog):

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LWD2Gpzws3...1600/1.bmp.jpg

As far as the overall merit of the radio, I can't say, as I posted earlier that I have a 909. I bought a Sangean PR-D5 two years ago and it still works fine, the only "glitch" being that the power button will sometimes wig if I don't press squarely in the middle, but that's the only thing, and it remains to be seen whether there will be any other issues. A peek inside shows it's well put together. Time will tell.

Good luck in your decision. The main thing that would keep me from buying a 909X (aside from the fact I already have a 909 and there isn't as much to listen to on HF as there was even 5 years ago) is the price.

Last edited by Boombox; 07-17-2017 at 3:33 AM..
Old 07-17-2017, 3:21 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Boombox,

TNX for the research, you're right about lack of identification on that schematic.

My decision not to buy the radio was based somewhat on price and somewhat on my inability at the time to find detailed specs.

The guy that dusted off this old thread said he was torn between the 909X and the Tecsun PL-880.
IMHO, the Tecsun looks like a lot of radio for less money.

In my case, ended up with the Tecsun PL-600. Probably not as nice as either the 909X or 880 but works OK for me and a decent radio for the price.