I can admit it when I'm beat, help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfflunki

Hi I have been playing around with this mw for a couple years and doing fairly poor. I took some advice and built a box loop it doesn't get the whole spectrum, but anything above 770khz I am trying to break into ultralight basically that or super radio 3 this is my price range. I have heard the old srf -59 is good and I currently have a radio Shack personal portable radio with speaker or get a super radio 3

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is very hard to read - too much rambling, not enough punctuation, run on sentences...yechh.

There are 2 clubs in the US which are top notch in this field - the National Radio Club and the International Radio Club of America. If you want resources dealing with MW DXing, these are hard to beat.

I can't help you with the ultralight stuff, but I can point you in the right direction for antennas. We have a separate forum for receiving antennas including box loops. Post something there and be specific - where did you get your plans, ect. We have a few MW DXers here - no doubt they can point you in the right direction...

Receive Antennas (below 30MHz) - The RadioReference.com Forums

Mike

hfflunki

Thanks Mike
I apologize for punctuation and run on sentences I don't currently own a computer so I have to use my phone

I'll stay off the threads until I have a better input method

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Not completely understanding your question?

Sorry hfflunki I did not quite understand your request- are you looking for a low price MW receiver or help with a box loop? Here's a good link for some DIY loops: The Carpet loop indoor antenna by dxzone.com

Regarding which receiver to buy, just about any AM receiver should suffice as long as you have a decent ext antenna, OR if the radio has a good built in ferrite (an ultralight will not) I am not a fan of ultralights. I like big beefy, chunky analogs for MW. Even a 1980s Realistic / Radio Shack brand will get you great reception on MW. I hope the sneer at your phone typing will not keep you away from the boards, no offense meant toward our other radioreference people.

hfflunki

Thanks fleet, my major issues are what portable is best for the money. I have a box loop that is based on the aircore loop from cumbredx. Right now I'm using a rs 12-586 for ultralight and icf -38 for general listening. My loop is limited to 3/4 of the am spectrum but, it works amazingly well we're it works.
I just can't get a sensitive radio in my price range.

majoco

Stirrer
I don't quite understand 'ultralight' - the RS12-586 is a shirt pocket receiver with only poor reviews. There's plenty of portables that will do a better job but you haven't told us what your price range is so it's hard to comment. Read some reviews here...

radiojayallen | Jay's Radio Reviews, Comparisons & Restorations

Does your loop tune to the top of the AM BC band or does it go past it? You may want to add another turn or two.

Last edited:

hfflunki

Thanks, my loop tunes from 770khz to the top which isn't bad considering anything under 700khz gives me feedback with every radio I've owned loop or not. I'm sorry if I miss understand the definition of ultralight radio. My price range is around 100 dollars but would prefer 50 because I'm considering just buying a loop my loop hasn't room for more turns iv already maxed it out. It was designed c
For 39meters shortwave but I added some turns because the bcb swl bands really don't interest me anymore

majoco

Stirrer
It won't matter if you put one turn over another on your loop - I made one that worked well with all the turns inside a loop of 1/2inch black alkathene irrigation pipe - can't remember how many turns now, probably 11 or 13 seems to be a favourite number.

hfflunki

Cool, only one more problem I can't order anything over the net I don't have a credit debit card or bank account so I can only pay cash, thanks

hfflunki

I think I'm going to go down to radio shack and get a Super radio 3 there not the best but I'm a noob. I also plan on getting a digital recorder.. I tore my loop down gonna experiment come summer

Thanks

hfflunki

The only other option is a pr-d5.
I had one ounce I found the Super radio more selective but extremely hard to tune. I can order the pr-d5 from my local electronics store. as far as recording I can use my phone fairly easy and it's cheaper.
I could use some input before I do all this. It's a lot of money in my world.

Last edited:

hfflunki

Talked to my guy at the local electronics store orderd pr-d15, terk am advantage, and rechargeable battery's. I'm happy and broke

SpectreOZ

Glad you didn't lose your interest in radio, if you're ever near an auto recycler old AM car radios make excellent DX platforms due to their selectivity.

Those PRD15's look like they were designed by the fellow who thought up the last generation of Xbox enclosures... ;)

Last edited:

hfflunki

I had a d5 I had to sell in a pinch but life is more stable by the minute. As far as the loop goes I was sick of pretending I was a antenna designer so I bought the one with the best reviews

Boombox

Thanks fleet, my major issues are what portable is best for the money. I have a box loop that is based on the aircore loop from cumbredx. Right now I'm using a rs 12-586 for ultralight and icf -38 for general listening. My loop is limited to 3/4 of the am spectrum but, it works amazingly well we're it works.
I just can't get a sensitive radio in my price range.

Hfflunki, I have the Radio Shack ultralight that you've got -- it's a decent listening radio, has a DSP chip in it... but from my experience in using it, it really isn't a great DX radio.

If you want to get better performance for the money, go to a department / box store and get a Sony SRF-59. It's a headset radio, works off one AA battery, sounds good, and is a terrific DX performer. It has good selectivity, it is way easier to tune than the Radio Shack ultralight, and has good sensitivity also.

I got one for just under $18 this past year.

Compared to the Radio Shack ultralight, it's like night and day. Used with your loop, the SRF-59 will compare quite well to a GE Superadio in performance -- they're that good.

hfflunki

Boombox, thanks for the input.I actually ordered a pr-d15 and bought a couple recording apps for my phone and Mic for the headphone jack as well as a terk am advantage.I t was a chunch but if you look my fault my logs are great for my gear. So I decided to invest some money and take it up a knock

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Did you post on another forum the Terk antenna sucks? I thought it would! I couldnt' comment though since I never had that one. Don't you know that homebuilt is almost always better? The loop you made is probably JUST FINE

Had you just waited around you could have found a very decent FM/MW receiver. Isn't that all you wanted it for? MW? the old car radios DO work best as someone said. a Kaito 1103 would run circles around those tiny, "shirt pocket" radios.

hfflunki

Ya I had a Kaito 1103 there very nice but I didn't want anything w/sw I posted a picture and my first 2 New logs w/the pr-d15 I would recommend this radio and yes the terk loop is worthless thanks

ridgescan

Search Craigslist for "estate sales" hfflunki. You will find good used am-fm type radios that are older but have excellent receive ability.
Garage sales too. I'm constantly running across radios out here like that.
Build a new loop that'll cover the whole band. There are videos in Youtube.
Besides my 100' wire on the roof, I also have a CCRadio "Justice" twin coil antenna bought for $10 at a rummage sale, and a Select-A-Tenna loop which is really neat and effective, bought for $10 at the same rummage sale a year later. I go to that sale every year in February. I'm sure you have sales like that out that way.

hfflunki

Yes we do but I'm not copping out but I'm disabled if have anything made or built I must rely on others for help. I'm disabled I have back and neck injury and a closed head injury from a car bicycle
Accident at 13 and don't get out of town much mainly I can't drive
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.