Which radios to keep and which to let go

Status
Not open for further replies.

scan_madison

Okay here is the deal. I have been able to accumulate all sorts of radios mostly from thrift store and garage sale. Ideally I would like to keep all of them but due to space constraints and warnings from wife, I have to cut down on the radios. Here are the list of radios I have:

##
SONY
ICF-2010 - well, legendary
ICF-SW55 – Fancy design
ICF-7700 – Analog with digital readout
ICF-38 – AC cord & long life battery
ICF-C1iPMK2 – Alarm clock and has iPod dock plus AUX input
SRF-59 – Superb selectivity
SRF-49 – Stereo AM
SRF-29 – Easy to tune

Sangean:
PR-D5 – RDS feature

Insignia
NSHD1 – HD Reception / Built-in rechargeable battery
##

I am at loss which ones to keep. Any ideas? Thanks.

kc2kth

I have recently been missing the ones I have sold over the years - the R75, DX440, DX392, and Sony ICF-6800w Orange. My advice, always keep the boxes when you buy a rig and keep them packed away when not in use. I keep my Kenwood R5000 on my desk, my YB400PE just came back out for a bit and my DX398 is on a shelf in my closet in its box. My two cents based on 30 years of radio ownership. Good luck in whatever you do. I'd offer to buy that 2010, but you shouldn't be selling that one most of all.

questnz

Much as tend to agree with Martin, Maybe "happy wife, happy life" needs to be considered here a compromise. Radio to keep in my book = Sony ICF-2010.

Chris

joeuser

The Wretched
Get rid of the Sony with the iPod dock. Make a huge scene about it, cry, dont eat meals in front of her, & make loud retching / dry heave sounds once to twice a day esp. when she tells you that she loves you... Keep the rest. Wait until she gets on you again, come back here & ill advise which one next - then follow the above.

Okay here is the deal. I have been able to accumulate all sorts of radios mostly from thrift store and garage sale. Ideally I would like to keep all of them but due to space constraints and warnings from wife, I have to cut down on the radios. Here are the list of radios I have:

##
SONY
ICF-2010 - well, legendary
ICF-SW55 – Fancy design
ICF-7700 – Analog with digital readout
ICF-38 – AC cord & long life battery
ICF-C1iPMK2 – Alarm clock and has iPod dock plus AUX input
SRF-59 – Superb selectivity
SRF-49 – Stereo AM
SRF-29 – Easy to tune

Sangean:
PR-D5 – RDS feature

Insignia
NSHD1 – HD Reception / Built-in rechargeable battery
##

I am at loss which ones to keep. Any ideas? Thanks.

+1 what others said !
If all else fails then you could list the ones you don't want or use on EBAY ( just a idea )

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Get rid of the Sony with the iPod dock. Make a huge scene about it, cry, dont eat meals in front of her, & make loud retching / dry heave sounds once to twice a day esp. when she tells you that she loves you... Keep the rest. Wait until she gets on you again, come back here & ill advise which one next - then follow the above.

I like the melodramatic touch!

Boombox

If you're into MW and MWDX then keep the SRF-59 and PR-D5. The 2010 (although I've never used one) is a classic, and if it works, it's good for MW and SW. The SRF-49 would be good for MW DX as the platform motion from the stereo chip aids in IDing stations on crowded channels.

The PR-D5 also has an AUX input (I use mine with my tablet for internet radio -- works great), and it can be used as a clock radio. Combined with its excellent MW DX performance, that should be a keeper.

Perhaps you could just box the others and put them in storage. Really, that list is not a lot of radios. It seems half of them are walkman radios (or smaller). Can't see how they take up that much space.....

Either way, good luck.

scan_madison

Thanks for great suggestions so far!!! Really appreciate it. I think I am going to keep 2010, PR-D5, ICF-38 and Insignia HD. Rest will have to be put on eBay.

joeuser

The Wretched
Thanks for great suggestions so far!!! Really appreciate it. I think I am going to keep 2010, PR-D5, ICF-38 and Insignia HD. Rest will have to be put on eBay.
Might want to search eBay first to see what others have gotten. As for the wife... Its your call, but you could just set a really high reserve & see what you'd get more for...

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
what to keep?

I would never suggest getting rid of wife (had mine for almost 42 years!), but one can store some radios out of sight while still having them. There was a great story in QST in the 1960's about all the stories a guy came up with to tell his wife about what radio she saw that day!

Like another one said, I've never sold a radio that I didn't regret later, so I just quit selling them

Boombox

I suppose if worse comes to worse (my guess is some of those radios --i.e. the Sony SRF-59 and a couple others -- won't bring in enough money on EBay to merit selling them) some of the radios could be strategically packed in a box, shoved somewhere where they're out of the way.

You can fit several radios into a small box if you use packing peanuts or plastic shopping bags (cheap, plentiful packing material) or something similar to protect them from each other. The smaller ones, like the SRF-59, could be kept in a car trunk as emergency listening radios. The walkmen style ones could be packed in plastic shopping bags for protection and crammed out of the way somewhere.

SCPD

QRT
Keep 'em all and go vertical.
You need to buy or fabricate a corner cabinet with shelves from the floor to the ceiling.
A cabinet or shelving unit that only takes up about 1' x 3' of floor space, with shelves every 9", should hold 20 radios.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
There's only been a couple that I truly regret selling.

1. Above all the rest, I regret selling my JRC NRD-515, "Gilfer". Full of filters, and so nice to use.
2. The modded mint R71A I had with truly nice audio. It had one of the add on boards that kept the operating system intact when/if the battery died in it.

The rest can all be replaced pretty easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.