HF radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weaksignal

Ten-Tec RX340. Not a single jack, but a 15 pin D type plug on the back of the receiver (Audio/Aux, J8) that includes other functions as well.

cmdrwill

If they have a earphone or phone jack, you can use that with an attenuator/load to your recorder.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Sadly the days of true desktop comm receivers are long gone - but I know that the Drake R7A had a 'line out' that could be used for recording. And I modified a Drake R4B to put one in.

These days, Software Defined Radios (SDRs) are all the rage - and if you use the right software, you can record what you hear...Mike

majoco

Stirrer
JRC NRD 515 on the rear panel. The 525 and 535 have a timer brought out to the rear panel too so I guess there's a recorder output to go with that.
Kenwood R2000 has one on the front panel. The Debeg 7313/Skanti R5000 have a line out but it's buried in the separate power supply.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I moved your thread to the HF forum for better on-topic visibility.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
The Sangean 909x has a record line out jack. I think the SDR dongle idea mentioned by ka3jjz is probably the least expensive option!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The RTL-SDR dongles don't cover HF natively, but there are a few out there based on that platform that do. We have a few listed at the bottom of...

RTL-SDR - The RadioReference Wiki

And of course, there's the Funcube Dongle as well - which is a bit more expensive than the ones listed above.

Mike

cmdrwill

What is attenuator load ?
Thanks for all the help By the way from everyone much appreciated !

Attenuator: reduces the audio output to record/line level.
Load: A resistive load that matches the impedance, resistance, of the earphone or speaker.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
err...the attenuator does exactly what it says - it reduces all signals by some defined amount. It has nothing at all to do with the audio that's sent to the earphone jack...for example, the old Kenwood R-1000 had fixed attenuation of 10 and 20db. As it was a very hot receiver in its day - it was, in fact, too sensitive at times and overloaded because of it, the attenuator helps with this. Mike

Last edited:

radioshane

is the attenuator a lead onto the earphone jack ?
Cis I've tried using the jack on the aor 8600 and it didn't work

bkantor

My IC-R75 has one - from the manual:
RECORDER JACK [REC]
Outputs receive audio signals. Connects to the
AUX or LINE IN jack on a tape recorder.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
is the attenuator a lead onto the earphone jack ?
Cis I've tried using the jack on the aor 8600 and it didn't work

Radio, I think you're really confused about what you are doing. Let's step back a minute.

As I wrote earlier, the attenuator on a radio has nothing at all to do with the audio that comes out of the speaker (or earphone jack). It reduces the amount of signal that the radio processes by some amount, almost always expressed in decibels (db for short). The attenuator would not have any leads going to the earphone jack - it would be found much further back in the receiver's guts. Using the attenuator would reduce the strength of the signal you hear, and might also reduce the volume.

There's a speaker jack on the rear of the 8600. In theory you could connect this up to a line in or mic in on your computer and record from that, but you may find that this is too loud. You may need to reduce the levels using the controls in your Windows System Tray (and unfortunately, due to the fact that there are tons of el-cheapo soundcards out there, the controls can and sometimes do vary from PC to PC)

Mike

radioshane

yes that's what I mean I already use a aor 8600 with a Dictaphone on VHF so i'm using my alnico DXR8E for HF comms

radioshane

According to the chap at nevada the back of the alinco the af jack on the back is meant for recording ?

Status
Not open for further replies.