Need help with new radio purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfflunki

I just sold my r6 and plan on buying a new ambcb dx radio. I don't know what to go with. I was originally thinking a CCRadio or sangian. But can easily get superadio 3s new. I'm working with around 170$ tell me what you think. The other option is to buy an antenna preferably a twin coil for a superadio I already have that isn't pretty but reliable.
Thanks
Hff

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

hfflunki

Found a g2 reporter for 50 bucks. gonna get a cc twin coil ext for it and have a hidden shortwire built already so thats what is gonna happen had to act quik. my superadios am band went out so you know .5 years of constant 4 hour insomniac nudging and tuning from midnight to 4am. that will kill a veneer tuner especially a cheap one. so I might also get an ultralight thinking. tescun 320 or Eton traveler 3. I don't 't know anything about any of these ultralight radios and opinions vary from place to place. I just basically want a radio I can take with me that's great on am and I can log in a notepad or smartphone. so the base is taken care of can any one help me with the ultralight.

Boombox

Get a Sangean PR-D5 or PRD15. The PR-D5 already has a twin coil built in. The PR-D15 might, also (not sure, though). The PR-D15 has tone controls, so it probably sounds better. Around $70-80 or so, I think.

I've read lots of good things about the CCrane radios (made by Sangean), both the digital tuned and analog tuned ones.

If you want to go the ultralight route, the Sony SRF-59 is inexpensive ($20 or so) and works great. You add an external loop to it and it's as good, if not better, than a Superadio.

The G2 is OK on the AM band, but you'll need to use an external loop. It's better on SW and FM than it is on MW.

hfflunki

Ya boombox, I'm actually falling in love with swl again because of this g2. and I can get decent am but I am probley gonna get a loop ,like you say its a really good radio. I can even put my sked in txt format in the thing as an shook record play Mp3s, I put all my old radio recordings I converted to Mp3in it .I haven't tried yet but I think I can read the internal flash hardrive with my Android on the go cable .its a sweet radio.

Boombox

I've used the record feature on the G2, it's pretty handy. Recorded some of the last Radio Disney broadcasts from a station in the next metro south of me (Portland, OR), recorded some of the last broadcasts from Voice of Greece, too.

I use my G2 mostly on SW and FM. MW is OK, but in my location it needs an external loop. Good selectivity and decent sound through headphones. Great SW performance off the whip. FM is good off the whip also. Pulls in some fringe stations better than a few of my other radios.

hfflunki

Ya boombox I put a 25` short on it around the windows and put a ferrite coupler on it so I can put a loop away from the radio and be put on a two layer 360° tuntable I built on 2 lazy Susan brackets

Boombox

If you're using a 25 ft. wire you could also try proximity effect coupling. Just having the G2's whip next to the wire antenna will probably increase signals on SW. I haven't done it with my G2 but it worked really well with a Panasonic SW radio I have and my Realistic DX-370.

Boombox

Hfflunki:
Another note on MW DXing with your G2, if you decide to DX the MW with it:

The internal loopstick on the G2 is about a 50mm one, so it doesn't have terrific gain by itself. But an external loop will work quite well with the radio. I've used one with my G2 and have gotten good results.

Just remember that the G2's internal MW loopstick is on the *lower right corner* of the G2 (when looking at it from the front). So if you use an external loop with it, it will work better if you place the external loop to the *right* side of the G2.

Also -- if you get overload on the SW bands from local MW stations, just shorten the whip. I've sometimes gotten overload on my G2, but most of the time I don't. I've been able to hear China and North Korea with the whip contracted to around 8-9 inches or so. Just shoving in the whip a bit will reduce (or completely eliminate) the overload and the SW stations will come in better.

When you don't have overload, extend the whip further, or all the way.

It's a good radio, it's just that there are a couple pecularities you have to work around. I use mine for SW listening most mornings. Very handy radio.

hfflunki

I just purchased a loop, sorry I diddnt get back sooner I didn't have a way too. Its on the right that's a big help thanks everyone

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.