Upgrade from Sangean ATS-803A / DX-440?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbadie

Hi,

I have a Sangean ATS-803A and thinking about upgrading. Not sure if I will stick with a portable (Sangean 909X or Tecsun 880) or go for the Icon R-75.... Most likely the portable IF the results may be improved. I mostly listen to SW broadcast but sometimes a little ham radio.

Has anyone upgraded from the ATS-803A or DX440?
If so what did you upgrade to and what were the results?

It will connect to an external antenna, either in the attic or possibly under the eaves of the house.

Thanks!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A Tecsun 880 would be a fine choice if you want to stay with a portable (which is where I would go if I was going that way). A R75 is a heckuva lot more money, and frankly you can do better with a SDR if you want to go that route.

I don't know where 'home' is, but try to avoid real long wires if you are on the East Coast, where sigs tend to be stronger, particularly in our early evening.

Mike

Blackswan73

You would be hard pressed to find a current portable to top the DX440/Sangean 803a. It has been already recognized as one of the best portables ever made. I often compare my 440 to my R70, Satellite 800, 350 field radio(Tecsun), and find even after 20 years, it still can hold it's own.

N8IAA

A Tecsun 880 would be a fine choice if you want to stay with a portable (which is where I would go if I was going that way). A R75 is a heckuva lot more money, and frankly you can do better with a SDR if you want to go that route.

I don't know where 'home' is, but try to avoid real long wires if you are on the East Coast, where sigs tend to be stronger, particularly in our early evening.

Mike

Mike, it appears he is in the Phoenix area.
Larry

cbadie

Yes, I am in the Phoenix area. As it turns out I also have a SDR (PCR1000) but I need to get an older laptop running an older version of windows - will be doing that in addition to whatever I decide with my Sangean (which is my bedside radio but used more often).

Muskrat39, thanks for the info. Kinda what I thought. The Tecsun is rated well vs current portables, but there is nothing else pitting the newer radios with the older Sangean. Perhaps I will try to optimize my antenna setup before deciding on a new radio.

Thanks again.
Clark

Boombox

I "upgraded" to a DX-398 (Radio Shack's ATS-909) and it was better for SSB, but no improvement on SW Broadcast reception (or sound). Since the 909X is similar, I could see where it would be an improvement if you're into SSB and utility listening, but for SWBC, I don't think so.

Some of the new Tecsuns are considered to be very good. Not all of them apparently work with external antennas.

If you use an external antenna with the 803A (it's not clear whether you already have one), remember to protect the 803A from static electricity coming off the wire - or just be careful how you use it with an external wire. I added back-to-back diodes to my DX-440 (803A) to keep the RF transistors from getting zapped.

majoco

Stirrer
Given that the comments on the eHam reviews are either very bad or very good - I would go for the Alinco DX-R8T. It's not an R75 but does have lots of good points and it's a proper HF receiver with all those bells and whistles you expect from a communications receiver rather than a portable. $450 from Universal can't be bad.

Alinco DX-R8T Alinco DX-R8 Receiver

Otherwise it's the CommRadio CR1 but that's getting up into R75 territory pricewise.

Of course you could search for a bargain on FleaBay but there's always that nagging thought that you could be buying a dud!

cbadie

So, does anyone have experience or read reviews on the performance of a modern portable with an external antenna? I am re-rigging my antenna and once I do that will decide if I want to get a new portable, or just keep what I have. Considering Tecsun P-880 (ease of use), Sangean 909X (local recommendation), and Grundig 750.

Anyone use these radios with an external antenna? With an external antenna is there any notable difference in performance?

Plan B is an ICOM but I am just not sure I want to fork out the money. Mostly bedside listening but with some interest in DXing.

Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There's a significant difference in the way a desktop like the R75 would work with an external antenna vis a vis a portable. With very few exceptions, portables are really not designed to work with long antennas, but this is highly dependent on where you live. Folks on the East Coast have a harder time with this - if you put an antenna on a portable that is too long, overloading becomes an issue. If you are in the Southwest (I think that's where you are) or in the West, it's less of an issue. There are simply more broadcasts beamed to the East Coast (and Europe is where many of the powerhouse stations are), thus the higher signal levels. A good desktop is generally harder to overload.

The other thing to watch out for is connecting the antenna to the radio. It's tempting to just clip the antenna to the whip. One word - DON'T . Usually at or near the base of these antennas is a connection to an amplifier - one static zap and the radio goes deaf. Repairing this can be a challenge if you're not used to working with surface mounted stuff. Even connecting the antenna to the antenna jack can pose a hazard - which is why I highly recommend the project below - it's a whole lot easier to repair (and cheaper too) than having to send it somewhere...

http://forums.radioreference.com/receive-antennas-below-30mhz/295299-great-first-timer-project.html

Remember how a radio performs with a particular antenna can be influenced just as much by where you are as what you hear.

Mike

Boombox

So, does anyone have experience or read reviews on the performance of a modern portable with an external antenna? I am re-rigging my antenna and once I do that will decide if I want to get a new portable, or just keep what I have. Considering Tecsun P-880 (ease of use), Sangean 909X (local recommendation), and Grundig 750.

Anyone use these radios with an external antenna? With an external antenna is there any notable difference in performance?

Plan B is an ICOM but I am just not sure I want to fork out the money. Mostly bedside listening but with some interest in DXing.

Thanks

I don't have a 909X, but I have the 909 (a DX-398, same radio), and have used an external antenna, with good results. I have used it in the past with a 100 ft. wire, but now use a 25 ft. indoor wire and get good results with it.

cbadie

Thanks Boombox. That is what came recommended at the local HRO. For some reason the UI of the PL-880 appeals to me.

Mike - thank you as well. I think I will get the antenna optimized first, with the best grounding I can, then IF I keep the Sangean or get another portable I will add this circuit. Seems pretty easy.

My last option is to sell my Sangean and my ICOM PCR-1000 and use the proceeds to help pay for an ICOM R-75. I might try that and see what happens. Both are in good condition.

Blackswan73

If you are looking for a better radio than the Sangean, and don't want to take out a second mortgage to by a top class receiver, take a look on ebay at a Grundig 800. It is equal to, or better than most tabletop receivers, including the R75, and can be had in excellent condition for $400 or less. I got mine for $184 two years ago, but it was as is. I repaired it, and it is equal to or better than any radio I have ever used, and that has been quite a few. It is even on par with my Icom R70, the grandaddy of the R75.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackswan73

Technically, the 800 is a portable, but it is actually larger than my R70. In fact, it is nearly as large as my old Hallicrafters.

cbadie

If you are looking for a better radio than the Sangean, and don't want to take out a second mortgage to by a top class receiver, take a look on ebay at a Grundig 800. It is equal to, or better than most tabletop receivers, including the R75, and can be had in excellent condition for $400 or less. I got mine for $184 two years ago, but it was as is. I repaired it, and it is equal to or better than any radio I have ever used, and that has been quite a few. It is even on par with my Icom R70, the grandaddy of the R75.

Yeah, I see a few listed....just makes me nervous who I am buying from. I did hear that it's a good radio, and tabletop is ok for me. That is why I was intrigued by the 750.

Blackswan73

If you are referring to the Grundig 750, I have heard mixed reviews on it. It is built by Tecsun. Like the 800, but the 800 was designed by Drake, and built to Drake's specifications. The 750, on the other hand, is designed and built by Tecsun, and is the same radio as the Tecsun 2000. Another lower cost receiver that has gotten good reviews is the new Alinco DX-R8. It can be found new for around $400

cbadie

Yes, I have heard the same about the Grundig 750. I have heard that the Sangean 909X is very good on an external antenna, but I 'think' I like the UI of the Grundig and the Tecsun 880 a little better.

Guess I'll get the antenna situation fixed first and go from there.

Thanks for the tip on the Alinco and your replies...IF I can sell my PCR-1000 then I feel OK paying a little more. .

kc2kth

I've personally owned the dx440, wish I still had it. I also had an R75 and wish I'd kept that one too. I had a Sony 6800 Orange and sold it as well sadly. I've had a few others as well. I still have a DX398, YB400PE, R5000, and last year purchased the new Eton Satellit and a Tecsun PL680. My point being I have some experience like others here. The new Satellit - as long as you get one with the newest firmware and updates - is a fantastic performer. I'm highly impressed with it, The 680 is close, but the Satellit beats in a few areas at least for me. The R75 is a bit long in the tooth now for a new investment, but we're unlikely to see anything else in that class released that will surpass it. I'm not impressed with the 750 either.

cbadie

Thanks kc2kh. I saw the Eaton, but prefer to have a frequency knob (I am a knob twirler). Why do you think the R75 is long in the tooth? As it turns out that can interface to decoding software which may be of interest to me. I would have the benefits of the PCR1000 functionality AND a good bedside radio.

Appreciate everyone's inputs! I'll get my antenna situated like I would prefer then go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.