Cheap Desktop Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

riverrat373

I am looking for a cheap desktop receiver with digital readout for AM dxing. I plan to hook it up to a home made outside loop antenna. I don't want to spend more than $150.00. I am looking at the Drake PRN-1000 and the Radio Shack DX-394. Either of these radios will fit the spot on my radio desk that I have for this project. I am not interested in any suggestions on any radios but these two!

I have done lots of research on both and know all about their weaknesses. I would like to get some feedback from those who own or have owned these radios.

Thanks,
riverrat373

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The RadioShack 20-629 is a good option. This is the RS version of the Sangean ATS-505.

I have been happy with the receiver, when connected to a random antenna. It will not compete with the high dollar units, but does reasonably well, and the FM reception has been surprisingly good.

Sent via Tapatalk

majoco

Stirrer
Here's what he said...

I am not interested in any suggestions on any radios but these two!

...so there! He wants a desktop radio - not a portable - so if he wants a cr@p desktop over a good portable, who are we to try to dissuade him!

riverrat373

Here's what he said...

...so there! He wants a desktop radio - not a portable - so if he wants a cr@p desktop over a good portable, who are we to try to dissuade him!

Don't have room for a portable in the spot I want to put the radio! I don't like portable radios because of the ergonomics. I have lots of knowledge when it comes to shortwave radio, Started in 1969 when I built a Knight Kit Star Roamer radio. I have built several stereo tube amplifiers and my own antennas for shortwave. I own a Icom R-75, IC-718 (listening only) and an Icom r-7000. I have also owned a Kenwood R-1000, Kenwood r-2000, Yaesu Frg-7 and a Hammerlund 129. I just wanted an opinion on which of the 2 radios is the best.I know that all those who replied mean well but muskrat 39 was the only reply that met my criteria! I have a chance to pick up either one for less than $100!

Blackswan73

The 394 I had was the later improved B model. It had horrible reception. It suffered severe front end overload, poor selectivity, and poor image rejection. The only other radio I ever owned that was even close to as bad as the 394, was the DX 300. The 394 did look pretty though :)

Last edited by a moderator:

riverrat373

The 394 I had was the later improved B model. It had horrible reception. It suffered severe front end overload, poor selectivity, and poor image rejection. The only other radio I ever owned that was even close to as bad as the 394, was the DX 300. The 394 did look pretty though :)

The 394 I have a chance to buy is also a "B" model. I'm kind of leaning towards the Drake because of Drake's reputation for building quality radios. I know that it is a very basic radio but it also is not very expensive, Thanks for the opinion on the Realistic.

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
NASA/AKD Target HF3 - if you can find one used.

It's a bare-bones LF, MF & HF receiver with some intermod and EMI issues but is generally a pretty good performer overall. Audio is especially loud and distortion free.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Please keep your comments to the Drake PRN-1000 and RS DX-394, as the OP is only interested in these 2 radios.

Thanks...Mike

Token

I have owned both of these radios over the years, although I have neither at this time.

The Drake is less common, and that has a pull of its own. However the PRN-1000 is an AM only receiver. While I believe the design is at least as good, if not better, than the DX-394 it is limited by mode selection. Remember that even for AM stations the ability to select SSB can have certain advantages.

If I was choosing between these two, and I was going to use them not just put them on a shelf to look at them, the DX-394 would be my choice.

T!

Boombox

I have a 394. It's a good radio for what it is. I haven't had any overload problems on MW, and little issues with overload on HF. I use a 25 ft indoor wire.

I have had some 'blocking' on HF from time to time, when tuning the ham bands and some ham with a 1200 watt linear decides to blast away. That's fairly rare, though. I can still can hear all the ham stations fine.

I live in a low signal area, in the same area of the US as you do. It's probably why I have had little issues with overload.

In my view, if you're not next to an AM station transmitter, on MW you should have little problem. Remember, the 394's loopstick is small so for best results you can use an external loop, maybe set it on top of the 394.

I've never DXed MW with mine -- just never bothered. I have other radios I use for that (mostly portables). But I know of people who have DXed the MW with them. Their only gripe was the MW sensitivity drops over an hour or so. You click in and out of MW and it fixes the problem.

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
There are lots of do it yourself mods on the net for the dx 394... Mine works just as well as my yaesu 897 on 80% of the listening i do using the same antenna....

riverrat373

Well, I blew my budget and bought a late serial number Drake SW-8 instead of any of the ones I originally asked about! Just hope my wife doesn't find out!

Status
Not open for further replies.