Simple RC lowpass audio filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanZor

Just thought I'd make this stuff easier to find ...

If your receiver has a lot of hiss, or the filters are very wide, you may want to roll off the high end frequencies with a simple resistor / capacitor combination.

I've done this to various rigs to suit my taste. The basic stuff can be found here:

Speaker Noise Reduction Circuit Add on VE3VDC

and if you want to calculate it:

rc_simple_filter [Electron Coaxing Techniques & Notes]

TIP: If you have never done this, when you clip off the leads after soldering be SURE to have a firm grip on the lead with some pliers, otherwise the lead will get sucked into the speaker magnet, and forever buzz. Or, you attempt to retrieve it, but poke a hole in the speaker itself. Ask me how I know! :)

Also don't be in a rush and put the capacitors on the wrong side of the resistor...

cmdrwill

Kind of like Hi Fi crossover circuits. Basically filters. A choke works very well in place of the resistor, much sharper roll off at higher frequencies. You could look up some Hi Fi speaker crossover plans.

nanZor

For sure. Many outboard speakers incorporate inductors and other circuit components for more precise filtering.

This is intended mostly for beginner / quick fix type stuff on non-critical things like hissy top of rig cabinet speakers and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.