just orderd new and curently only radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfflunki

just orderd a pl606 wonderd if anyone had thoughts on this radio .swl post gave it an alright review .just wanted to hear from owners.
hfflunki

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Boombox

What happened with your Grundig G2? I thought you had figured out a way to use it off the AC power supply.

ridgescan

Hey HF how ya doing over there? Are you flinging the radios at the wall:D? I looked it up, the 606, it seems to be ok but has no SSB abilities which I think you'd have some fun with-even though I know you're mainly into MW.

hfflunki

Well didn't get that 606 since I'm an am guy a friend found a stereo tuner and I'm gonna try to find a good indoor fm antenna and ger a am antenna like the ccrane I don't know the brand yet but he's never brought me junk

Boombox

Since you're an AM radio guy, you thought of getting a C Crane radio? Or a Sangean PR-D5 or PR-D15?

Some of them are decently priced.

ridgescan

Since you're an AM radio guy, you thought of getting a C Crane radio? Or a Sangean PR-D5 or PR-D15?

Some of them are decently priced.
yeah this is true. HF, CCrane designs their radios to be extra strong AM receivers. They use the famed twin-coil ferrite antennas built in.
Also, I think you'd be very happy with a Grundig Sattelit750 with that swivelbar antenna. Can you set aside some funds and drop about $250 on a radio like these and have a real solid receiver to work with? BTW, there are also the radio direction finder type receivers too! I own one here-a Ray Jefferson RDF and it's a blast to operate with the rotatable AM antenna on top and fine tuner.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Vintage-Ele..._from=R40&_nkw=radio+direction+finder&_sop=12

Boombox

FWIW, the Sangean PR-D5 is a twin coil ferrite also (not sure about the PR-D15).

It's not a tunable twin coil ferrite, like the CCrane, but because SiLabs DSP chips tune to the antenna, perhaps the folks at Sangean figured the two coils themselves would be adequate.

a29zuk

The Sangean PR-D15 is a fine receiver for the AM band. It has the same 200mm ferrite bar as the PR-D5. I asked the service department at Universal Radio if there was any difference in AM reception between the 5 and 15 and the gentleman said they were identical. So I purchased the 15. The main advantage of the 15 over the 5 is that it has tone controls. The FM portion of the radio is pretty good, too.

Jim

Last edited:

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
AM radio= CCRANE not Grundig

yeah this is true. HF, CCrane designs their radios to be extra strong AM receivers. They use the famed twin-coil ferrite antennas built in.
Also, I think you'd be very happy with a Grundig Sattelit750 with that swivelbar antenna. Can you set aside some funds and drop about $250 on a radio like these and have a real solid receiver to work with? BTW, there are also the radio direction finder type receivers too! I own one here-a Ray Jefferson RDF and it's a blast to operate with the rotatable AM antenna on top and fine tuner.
radio direction finder in Vintage Electronics | eBay

the Grundig Satellit750 with the "swivel bar" one would be better off getting a DECENT am receiver and swiveling the radio around. Inside that beefy-looking swivel-y ant. is a teeny, tiny, puny ferrite coil that is no where near the size of the container (sorry I dont know the measurements but someone else posted on web the answer to this mystery, I don't want to look now tho sorry) I have the 750 and was not happy with it. Some are, but for AM reception why waste $$$$ on that big thing, than get a CCrane which has proper AM reception. On another note, for great AM reception the lil Kaito 1103, which is very inexpensive at around 80.00 USD can outperform a Satellit750 in my opinion, plus! it has a very beefy ferrite, larger than the 750- plus it has the added ssb/lsb that a lot of am receivers won't have. Detailed Review of the Kaito 1103/AKA "Degen" RadioIntel.com - Reviews Degen DE1103

anyway my two cents

ridgescan

the Grundig Satellit750 with the "swivel bar" one would be better off getting a DECENT am receiver and swiveling the radio around. Inside that beefy-looking swivel-y ant. is a teeny, tiny, puny ferrite coil that is no where near the size of the container (sorry I dont know the measurements but someone else posted on web the answer to this mystery, I don't want to look now tho sorry) I have the 750 and was not happy with it. Some are, but for AM reception why waste $$$$ on that big thing, than get a CCrane which has proper AM reception. On another note, for great AM reception the lil Kaito 1103, which is very inexpensive at around 80.00 USD can outperform a Satellit750 in my opinion, plus! it has a very beefy ferrite, larger than the 750- plus it has the added ssb/lsb that a lot of am receivers won't have. Detailed Review of the Kaito 1103/AKA "Degen" RadioIntel.com - Reviews Degen DE1103

anyway my two cents

Glad you posted! I do not own a 750 so I have no real knowledge about it. Good info for the OP to help him decide.

Boombox

A large ferrite bar is probably a big factor, but it isn't everything.

I have a Sony ICF-38 with a 50 or 60mm ferrite bar that almost matches my Superadio II in performance, and the Superadio has a 200 mm one (same relative thickness).

I have an old 1970's era multibander transistor radio with a thick 180mm ferrite bar that doesn't pull in half as many stations as the Sony ICF-38. It's 'cause the circuitry that comes after the antenna is lacking -- no RF amp or tuned RF stage.

Guys have heard lots of DX on Sony SRF-59 headset radios and they have a 50mm bar (or less -- can't remember the length). RF amp in the chip makes a difference there.

Heard good things about the Kaito 1103, it has a hot SiLabs DSP chip in it, if memory serves.

Status
Not open for further replies.