Grounding needed for transceiver used only as receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdenfuny

Premium Subscriber
From another post I leaned that grounding a receiver, while being a good idea, isn't absolutely necessary. One should, of course, take certain precautions such as unplugging the unit in a storm.

I understand that, while there also seems to be a bit of disagreement about this, grounding transceivers is a stronger recommendation (even if taking some of the same precautions as with a receiver).

My questions is: If one uses a transceiver as a receiver only and one doesn't transmit ever, do the grounding principals that apply for receivers carry over to the transceiver? (Or is the fact that it is inherently a transceiver unit change anything?)

(I hope it is acceptable to start a separate thread about this. Otherwise please just delete this.)

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
You should have both a lightning protector and proper grounding, regardless of how you use the equipment.

Even if you disconnect the antenna from the equipment, if lightning strikes that current has to go somewhere!

Boombox

If you're just using the transceiver as a receiver, it makes no difference RE antenna safety and grounding.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.