Grundig 750?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony3d

Hi all I'm new to this whole thing, and this site, so wasn't sure where to post . I'm thinking of getting back into SWL, and was looking at the Grundig 750. Can you give me your thoughts on this receiver? Thanks.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I know we've got more than a few members that have used or have this radio, so I'll let them chime in, but here are a couple of online reviews...(links are always blue)

Grundig eton Satellit 750 - Tecsun S-2000 Review - N9EWO -

Eton Satellit 750 Product Reviews

For USD350 (that's about what Universal Radio is selling this radio for), you can do better - a good Software Defined Radio can run you less than that, and you'll get better performance. We have an extensive article in our wiki on the subject, with links for models, reviews and lots more...

SDRs with HF Coverage - The RadioReference Wiki

The SDRPlay is very popular, and costs just under half what the 750 does...Mike

Tony3d

Thanks for the info. Can't seem to find the 750 in stock anywhere. Like to buy it from Fry's, they have it for $299.00, but it's never in stock. What gives? Why is this radio so hard to find?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Universal has it for a bit higher, about 350. As does Ham Radio Outlet for the price you mention (albeit with some promotions and coupons)

Mike

majoco

Stirrer
Personally I wouldn't buy any modern Grundig. Have a look at the reviews...

Grundig Satellit 750 Product Reviews

Get a look at the Tecsun S2000 - it's the same radio made in the same factory but without the Grundig hype and the Grundig markup. While you're on the Tecsun website get a look at the PL 600, PL880 and others in their newer range. Read the EHam reviews of those as well.

Yes, I know that reviews are written by people who hate them or love them.

PrimeNumber

I keep looking at these every time I get a few dollars ahead. All of the antenna inputs, a manual RF gain control, the hands-on look of the thing call to me. Also, Monitoring Times gave it a decent re-review in 2013: http://www.monitoringtimes.com/0213firstlookgrundig750.pdf

Then reality sets in and I back away. By all accounts it's really no better than the Tecsun PL-660 I currently own, but goes for about 3x the price. It's pretty good, and I'd like all of the coax connector inputs, but it's just not enough to be worth the price jump.

Know what I'd like to see? Pretty much this same radio with a couple of extras like a noise blanker and a DNR processor. It could be an AF-side processor even, I wouldn't hold my breath for it to be done at the IF level. All that, and maybe a little better materials and QC. Really not much, but it would be the extra-factor to get me up off my $350US.

Tony3d

Ya, I found it in stock for $299.00, but decided to keep looking. What about the Sangean 909X, it looks better built.

Tony3d

Thanks for the info Mike. I'll have a look. I would like to hear other members chime in on these two radios though.

Turbo68

Hi I got the Grundig Satellit 750 main intrest for me is monitoring aircraft on hf with a PK Loops 8.9 mhz dipole with a balun does an excellent job on vhf airband is as good as my other receivers also have the Sangean ATS-909X just as good but smaller in size i dont bother with Eham reviews personally i think people talk rubbish but i do have lots of receivers and the way i see it they all do an excellent job with the right antenna if you dont have that it doesnt matter what receiver you have you are not going to hear anything.

Regards Lino.

Tony3d

Hi I got the Grundig Satellit 750 main intrest for me is monitoring aircraft on hf with a PK Loops 8.9 mhz dipole with a balun does an excellent job on vhf airband is as good as my other receivers also have the Sangean ATS-909X just as good but smaller in size i dont bother with Eham reviews personally i think people talk rubbish but i do have lots of receivers and the way i see it they all do an excellent job with the right antenna if you dont have that it doesnt matter what receiver you have you are not going to hear anything.

Regards Lino.

I live in my own home, but because of our home owners association, we can't put up outdoor antennas. I will be using the radio on the second floor, and I have a loft with 30 feet straight off the room I 'll be using. Was thinking of just using a wire down the loft when I want to listen.

WA8ZTZ

When it comes to receiving distant radio signals, propagation does most of the work. When conditions are right, signals will pound in. If propagation is bad, forget about it You have very little control over atmospherics other than trying to find a useable frequency based on conditions, time of day, and season.

What you do have control over is the next most important thing and that is the antenna. Without a good antenna even the best receiver will not perform well. Here is where the Satellit 750 has an advantage as it has external antenna inputs for ALL bands LW, MW, SW, FM, and AIR. Based on your situation, you will have to get creative with your antenna installation but that is part of the fun.

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
For the price, I would not discount the Sony ICF-2010. Great radio! I had one awhile ago and I sold it, had to get another one because I missed it. Great radio!

Boombox

FWIW, I have the Sangean 909X's predecessor, the 909 (DX398) and it works great with a 25 ft. indoor wire. Excellent SSB, and a good DXer on the MW also. FM has RDS. I think the 909X is very similar, but it has several improvements to the radio circuitry.

Good luck in whatever radio you end up getting.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Assuming here that no one answers or knows, someone on the Satellit 750 Yahoo group likely will

Mike

Tony3d

Also, I don't see a serial number on the unit. Where the serial Number suppose to be?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
While I don't have one of these radios, and assuming it's not on the back, I would check the inside of the battery compartment, or the bottom of the radio. Very odd if you can't find it at all...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.