RadioJet & MultiPSK

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaFive

I have been trying to familiarize myself, and learn about the capabilities of a Bonito RadioJet 1102S. I have studied the website for Bonito, and read reviews of the product. I appears to be very interesting, and capable of many things. Here is what I have a difficult time trying to determine... would something as basic as MultiPSK software be compatible with this particular receiver?
I have two goals in locating a receiver to "invest" in. 1) I want receiving capabilities below 150 kHz. 2) I need the receiver to be compatible with MultiPSK software. The Bonito receiver appears to meet both requirements,,, but no mention, or specificity, about which particular software will work.
I did attempt to locate assistance on the Bonito support section. It is in Deutsch, a selection is available for English, but doesn't appear to change anything. It does not bode well for the radio when support fails in being able to find out about the product. Does anyone familiar with the receiver know how compatible software, such as MultiPSK, is with the receiver?? Thank you for your time.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
My German isn't nearly what it used to be (haven't used it a lot lately), but I think the answer is 'maybe'- with a caveat. I suspect you would need to run something like Virtual Audio Cable to get the data from the unit (which really isn't a SDR) to MultiPSK. Certainly something that you could ask on their Facebook page.

But for that kind of money, you can do better with a real SDR like the Elad FDM-S2, which has been very well received - lots of good reviews on it. Even the SDRPlay would fit your requirements, since its lowest receive point is 100 KHz

Now as to compatibility with MultiPSK - are you looking for some sort of receiver control? That really isn't MultiPSK's game, even though you can load some DLLs to get it to work with the RTL SDR, Funcube and Softrock SDRs. However if all you're looking for is the ability to read the audio from your device to do the decoding, then most anything that has an actual AF output that can go to your PC will fit the bill.

What are you looking to decode?

We have lots of SDRs that cover HF, along with a ton of links with reviews and more, listed here...

SDRs with HF Coverage - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

AlphaFive

RadioJet

Thank you very much for your reply. In looking a little deeper, it appears there is a secondary buy that has to be made in order to use something akin to MultiPSK. Then at that point it appears there is more to do to apply it than downloading the application, it's very murky...
My reasons for the specifications are two fold. First, I would want to have the MultiPSK compatible due to the fact that I am learning about the three levels of the A.L.E. network, I would really like to get into that. Secondly, if I am going to invest in a high dollar receiver, I want it to be able to explore areas of the receiving world I have never delved into, way down low... The only way to learn things, is to get out of your comfort zone. I am beginning to see that I might be now looking toward something akin to the ICOM R1500, or perhaps an RF Space SDR system. I still have to study those. Again thanks very much for your help, Lance

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Re the decoding; take a look at my sig line. You will find that site is quite comprehensive with decoding packages (mostly for the non-ham world). If you find something out there that isn't on the site (remember: must have non-ham applications), let me know

The Elad models are pricey in their own right. I'd stay away from the R1500. Not all that good a performer, particularly in strong signal environments, from what I've read. The RFSpace stuff is very pricey, but you get what you pay for. And of course, there are many SDRs in between the two (not that the R-1500 was really worth mentioning...). The page I gave earlier is one of several that covers the topics of SDRs

Good Luck...Mike

AlphaFive

RadioJet

Roger that, I am diving into the attached links, that will keep me busy for awhile. Thank you for those. I am planning on taking quite some time before I make any purchase. I have a long list of receivers to study and rule out, before I limit it down to two. At that point I think a coin flip will do..haaaaaa. Thank you again, I'm off to read now

Status
Not open for further replies.