Another "It followed me home"....

Status
Not open for further replies.

majoco

Stirrer
...from the same local auction site - a Stoddart NM-37/57A Field Intensity Meter - well, it would be if it came with a calibrated antenna but I guess that's still screwed to an aircraft! It's a glorified analogue scanner that covers 30MHz to 1GHz in 8 ranges either by twiddling the tuning knob or letting it scan one range - problem is it doesn't stop on station although a very powerful AFC holds the station for about 5 seconds - I used one of these (might even be this one judging by the stickers on it!) in the 80's as a Flight Navaids Inspector to plot the signal strength of landing or en-route aviation beacons.I'll need to research a plotter programme for a laptop.

Seems to work quite well, I'm listening to a local FM station right now. How much? How does NZ$125 sound! About US$100, I saw somewhere that they were US$17k in 1980!

Oops! I see I've put this in the wrong forum - please feel free to move it, Mr. Moderator! Thanks.

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
Playing with my new toy.....

Here I have connected my old faithful 'scope to the sockets on the back - the horizontal deflection is frequency, low left about 85MHz to high right about 110MHz and the vertical is a logarithmic scale about 10dBm per square - so what we are seeing is the FM broadcast band stations in my area. The antenna is a discone up on the roof about 15 feet high.

The second one I have compressed the frequency scale so that the left edge is about 50MHz - the little spur at about 75MHz is the local fire department transmitter. The tiny spur on the left of the FM band is my little FM transmitter on 88.5MHz.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.