PL-600 Wall Wart Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

baybum

I just received my Tecsun PL-600 a couple weeks ago. Love the radio, but have issues with the AC adapter.

When it is NOT plugged in to the radio it gets hot. When plugged into the radio and charging, it gets a little hotter. Can barely hold it.
I called Kaito and they sent me a replacement. The new one does the same thing. Doesn't get quite as hot, but too hot to trust leaving it plugged into the wall. Again, it gets too hot when NOT plugged into the radio.

I'll probably call Kaito back Monday... Just wondering if anybody else has had this issue.

Thanks,

Mike

RFI-EMI-GUY

I just received my Tecsun PL-600 a couple weeks ago. Love the radio, but have issues with the AC adapter.

When it is NOT plugged in to the radio it gets hot. When plugged into the radio and charging, it gets a little hotter. Can barely hold it.
I called Kaito and they sent me a replacement. The new one does the same thing. Doesn't get quite as hot, but too hot to trust leaving it plugged into the wall. Again, it gets too hot when NOT plugged into the radio.

I'll probably call Kaito back Monday... Just wondering if anybody else has had this issue.

Thanks,

Mike

Nit familiar with that specific product, but it probably is a linear power supply so there will be some heat. You could use a switcher but then you will have unbearable RF noise.

Have you measured the voltage? Is it correct?

That you cannot hold it is disturbing. I would expect some heat but not a lot unless it was charging batteries, but that would be a short period.

I would also compare its temperature to other "wall warts" around the house that are linear type, not switchers like ones for phones that seldom get hot. A possibly dumb question, are you sure the voltage at your outlet is correct? The utility could be sending you high voltage from your pole transformer or the neutral is bad in your service.

Last edited:

WA8ZTZ

Have never used the AC power supply with my PL-600 (always just AA alkalines). You mentioned that your supply gets quite hot even when not charging. So, for sake of experiment, plugged the AC supply into an outlet measuring 122 VAC for one hour (not charging). The case of the supply barely got warm to the touch. Hottest spot on the case measured 110 F.

Boombox

Like RFI EMI guy said, I'd measure the voltage. Some traditional wall warts can put out higher than nominal voltage. Shouldn't make them too hot to touch, though....

It's possible there is a defect in that run of wall warts.... I've never had one that was too hot to the touch. I've had some get warm, but not HOT.

baybum

I checked all that prior to posting. And I have other AC/DC power supplies that get a little warm, as to be expected, but none get hot.
My question is if anybody else has this radio, with this power supply, that has had this problem.
Thanks WA8ZTZ, I guess I'll ask Kaito if they'll send me another one. My adapters are labeled Nov. 15 and Oct 16.

Thanks,

Mike

WA8ZTZ

My adapter is 16 OCT.

btw... do you have any electrical issues in your home such as lights getting dim or bright ?

baybum

None...112V at all receptacles. (I'm an electrician)
Maybe when you get a chance, you can charge your Tecsun batteries that came with it, in the radio, and let me know what your results are concerning a hot adapter or batteries. (3 of my Tecsun batteries get hot also while charging in the radio), but not in a stand-alone charger. My Enlopes do not get hot while charging in the radio.

Thanks again,

Mike

WA8ZTZ

OK, that's good... (was concerned about perhaps a loose neutral at the service)

Anyway, have never used the NiMH batteries that came with the radio (always used alkalines), but since you asked, have entered set code 28 and 1000 and installed the 1000 Ma-hr batteries that came with the radio. It is charging now. Will keep you posted.

baybum

My manual says it auto-senses the Ma of the batteries. Do I need to change something? It is set for Ni-Mh.

EDIT: Strike that last post. I mis-read the book. Senior moment.
It was set up for 1000.
I am now charging my Enlopes (1900) and set it accordingly. Will report back.

Last edited:

WA8ZTZ

The batteries charged for about 70 minutes at which time the charging stopped and battery icon indicated full charge. The charger got quite warm but IMHO, not "hot". Hottest spot on the charger case was 128 F in one small area near the top of the label. The rest of the case measured between 82 to 112 F. Batteries themselves were 80 -90 F.

baybum

OK, that's what I'm getting also, once I set the Ma correctly. It gets a lot warmer than any other wall wart I've ever used. I guess that's normal for this one. I'll just not charge it unattended.

Thanks sir for all your help with this.It is a great radio for the money.

Mike

baybum

Just as a quick update...I received a new PL-600 package from Kaito.
The new wall wart gets hot as well. These are not just warm, they are hot, after only 10 minutes of charging.
Would appreciate any other owners comments.

Thanks,

Mike

WA8ZTZ

Tried charging the radio with a different brand of charger but same electrical rating (6V 300mA). Radio charged for 2 hours. Warmest spot on the charger was 83 F. Batteries themselves measured 78-82 F.
See my previous post (#10) for comparison.

If you don't feel comfortable with the charger and batteries that come with the radio then perhaps just use non-rechargeable alkaline batteries instead. Have used them here and they last a long time.

baybum

Thanks for doing that comparison. I'll look for another brand.
I understand about using other batteries,and I have a stand-alone charger, but one of the big selling points of this radio is the ability to charge batteries in the radio, and/or keep it plugged in without fear of burning the house down.
I have a thing about holding somebody accountable for what they advertise.

majoco

Stirrer
A charger rated at 6volts and 300mA seems a bit light unless it's a constant current charger - now a constant current charger needs a higher voltage than the output voltage but will still try to force that 300mA into the output terminals by raising the voltage until it gives up - but it has to dissipate the heat of maybe 12volts into the load resistor which may be in the charger box - hence the heat. As soon as you connect your batteries to be charged, then the current goes in to the batteries and the terminal voltage drops to 6volts - the load resistor no longer gets so hot so the box cools down. If you want to make a better charger from your cr@p one, just add a series resistor to dissipate the heat and reduce the charge to the batteries to cool them down too. You'll need a voltmeter and do some sums to find the value of the resistor. I don't like the idea of fast charging any battery many times - once or twice maybe - so a slow charge is better to prolong the life of the batteries. I have a little Degen 1103 radio that only charges the internal batteries at 100mA - takes ages to charge those 2400mA AA cells, but they're still good after six years or more.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Just as a quick update...I received a new PL-600 package from Kaito.
The new wall wart gets hot as well. These are not just warm, they are hot, after only 10 minutes of charging.
Would appreciate any other owners comments.

Thanks,

Mike

You should measure the temperature with a good thermometer. use some thermal paste and touch the bulb or sensor. to it once you find the hot spot. Send a written report to Kaito. If they get a written complaint they will be more likely to do something. Maybe their vendor is taking shortcuts, less turns in the primary, different parts, shaving a dime off here and there.

baybum

Oh, I've been in constant contact with them, via email and phone.I really don't need a thermometer. I know hot when I feel it, and they will feel it once they plug in the one I sent back to them.
This is three different radios, with the same charger maker (different chargers) that get very hot.

I'll get them on the phone next week when they receive the one I sent.
I think WA8ZTZ solved the mystery. Different brand, acceptable results.

Mike

WA8ZTZ

Just for the record, check with the vendor you have been dealing with just to be sure that the use of a substitute power adapter is safe and acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.