Grundig / Eton Executive Satellit - Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hth999

Just bought a Grundig / Eton Executive Satellit from Amazon. Everything appears to work okay, but have a question, or perhaps it's a problem. I noticed the DX / Local switch on the side of the radio works on every mode ( FM, SW, AIR ) except the AM Broadcast Band. In other words, when I engage the Local switch you notice a definite reduction in sensitivity, EXCEPT the AM Broadcast band. When on the AM Broadcast band moving the switch back from Local to DX does absolutely nothing. I find this very strange. I assume it should work, however, the AM broadcast band for this radio appears to be very good and sensitive. So I'm not sure if it's working okay. I could not find any info on this......does anyone have this radio, and is it performing like mine ? Any information would help. If I have a bad unit, I'll send it back for a refund.

majoco

Stirrer
You may find that your apparent defect is in fact a design "feature". Some radios have a permanent attenuator in the BC band to prevent overload from nearby strong stations - does it mention anything in the manual or show a different sensitivity in the specifications?

hth999

Majoco, Thanks for your response. I got an answer from another person who did a review of this radio. It is indeed as you say. The AM Broadcast Band is not attenuated in any way, so therefore the DX / Local switch is disabled from frequencies 530-1700 khz. Regarding the specifications, there are none in the manual, which is quite strange. I looked several times, and no mention of sensitivity numbers. The features and bands are listed on the outside of the box, but that's it. Looks like my radio is fine. I was just concerned I may have had a unit that did not work properly. Thanks again.

a29zuk

And possibly the AM broadcast band uses only the built in ferrite rod antenna instead of the telescoping whip that is used for the rest of the receiver bands. The ferrite rod may be left out of the local/DX circuit.

Jim

Last edited:

hth999

a29zuk,
That makes perfect sense, I've just never seen it before. I own quite a few portables, and if it has a dx / local switch it works on the AM Broadcast band, this is the first one where it is as you say left out out of the circuit because of the different antenna ( ferrite ) I've only had the radio 2 days, but I'm finding the Airband is very sensitive for a portable. Usually if it's included, it's subpar ( ccrane skywave ) But I live between 2 airports here in the Tampa Bay area, and I'm getting quite a few signals from aircraft....very happy with this. This radio is a little pricey, and I got it cheap ( 175.99 ) I've seen it as high as 199.95. But it's working well, and I am enjoying it. That's what it's all about.

a29zuk

Glad you are enjoying your new receiver.
There is nothing like getting a new receiver and having it being a big disappointment.

Jim

Last edited:

prc117f

Yes its very sensitive for airband. They are selling the. Non executive version ie no leather cover for 110 dollars. I am using it for airband monitor. So many recievers seem to neglect this band, you end up with all kinds of spurs and fm images etc.. with poor sensitivity.

Not these models. They are great.

Boombox

I personally have never used a radio that needed the attenuator kicked in on the MW band.

Many of my radios have one. Most of the radios have DX/Local switches that work on SW and FM, but a couple of them work on MW too (my Panasonic RFB45 comes to mind) -- I've never had to touch the DX/Local switch on it. Ever.

Usually, unless you live next door to a powerful AM station, you would never need a DX/Local switch on MW.

Also -- your Satellit may have the MW routed differently in the radio. Some radios have extra IF circuits for SW (FM always runs through a different signal chain), while the MW goes from the loopstick directly to the IF chip (which is the heart of the radio) -- maybe through an extra transistor to boost the signal a little more. If you could get a schematic of your radio it would tell you why the radio is wired the way it is wired.

Either way, glad to hear you are enjoying your radio.

majoco

Stirrer
Even my ancient (1980's!) Kenwood R2000 desktop had an attenuator in the very front end bandpass filters - in the sensitivity specs it says that the 150kHz to 2MHz band is about 6dB less that the HF bands. A couple of snips with the wirecutters and a dab with the soldering iron soon took that out!

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
Eton Satellit vs Executive

I have been looking at picking up the Eton Satellit, but now it has been replaced by the Executive version? What are the differences?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.